Xtreme Gaming Network

Practice race Oct 4

Author Topic: Practice race Oct 4  (Read 32781 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Practice race Oct 4
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2016, 02:02:48 PM »
Hey Marty: I have downloaded version 1.1 of the track, but i get checksum error... :(

I think I forgot to update the server track file will do soon.  :-[

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2016, 03:18:33 PM »
Server has been updated so track is now ready for business.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2016, 03:55:16 PM »
Thank you. Will test soon.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2016, 07:31:05 PM »
As lap times here are around 1:56 the practice race will run the 2x 30 minute sprint races of 15 laps. There will be a qualifying session of 15 minutes between both races as I cant set a forced grid between races to follow the race format.

Both races will be rolling starts I think as an experiment race 1 will be single file and race 2 will try a side by side rolling start to see if the guys here are capable of such a feat. I think they are but Wally seems to think this is too much to ask of out league guys so we can test at least to see how it goes as it would make starts a bit more interesting in what will likely be a full race follow the leader type of affair in these cars anyway I think.

There will be a compulsory pit stop with refuelling not allowed but a tyre change is compulsory. There is no pit window for sprint races and server will just be passworded with the regular xgn pass and a grid limit of 33 at this track should mean anyone that wants to race should be able to get in easily.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2016, 09:20:01 PM »
I'm going to be away tomorrow night so all the best!

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2016, 07:22:08 AM »
Sounds all good, Marty. Thank you.

I haven't had a chance to try the rolling start app with other people around, so I hope I won't be causing problems tonight...

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2016, 10:25:21 AM »
Both races will be rolling starts I think as an experiment race 1 will be single file and race 2 will try a side by side rolling start to see if the guys here are capable of such a feat. I think they are but Wally seems to think this is too much to ask of out league guys so we can test at least to see how it goes as it would make starts a bit more interesting in what will likely be a full race follow the leader type of affair in these cars anyway I think.
It's not that I don't think people aren't capable of side by side rolling starts, but that single file rolling starts will be safer and lead to cleaner starts. They are long races, and I want to discourage the "I must make up 5 places before turn 1" mentality.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2016, 10:48:00 AM »

I haven't had a chance to try the rolling start app with other people around, so I hope I won't be causing problems tonight...
Nah, go ahead and cause problems. ;)
It's a fun run so better to sort them before the season proper. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2016, 11:24:06 AM »
It's not that I don't think people aren't capable of side by side rolling starts, but that single file rolling starts will be safer and lead to cleaner starts. They are long races, and I want to discourage the "I must make up 5 places before turn 1" mentality.

Like this you mean ?  :P
http://f1.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/U2MHY3NjE6KHrmi8r2dQbxtxCYZ7wMkX/DOcJ-FxaFrRg4gtDIwOjIwbTowODE7gA
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2016, 01:35:23 PM »

Its a good time to test the app, but its really only assisting you to do a rolling start. Single file should be easy enough follow the guy ahead without hitting him til its green.  The app should just ensure you hold position and dont do a grat from last week. The one where you just bolted and went for glory while we all sat back for a rolling start. It will be important for all to be on teamspeak even if they dont have a microphone to make the start easier.

If we make a mess of one completly we can always restart as its only a pre season test anyway. And ideally there will be most here for the season to have a couple of practice starts.

For those that dont know the track I made a short video of a lap, not the best lap as there are some errors in it but will give an idea of line in this car here.

The video Wally posted is a great example that even  the best drivers can get into trouboe by being over agressive at the start. Im sure if Vettel took a couple of chill pills before the race starts he would have seen more checkered flags this year. You choose if you want to risk your race at the start and putting your car in a risky position giving less margin of error to those around you just makes it more likely to end like many of his have recently.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2016, 03:50:13 PM »
The one where you just bolted and went for glory while we all sat back for a rolling start. It will be important for all to be on teamspeak even if they dont have a microphone to make the start easier.
Ahahah, yes. That was quite funny. For some reason, my teamspeak stopped working before that practice race, but I did not know it. So I just started the race and wondered why everybody was slow behind me. I started asking... but nobody answered :(

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2016, 05:16:53 PM »
I was going to reset the server to a long practice as we do on normal race nights but have decided to just keep it up as is and reset server with pass only at 7pm with a 30 minute practice into 12 min qualy and 16 lap race. The race is really 15 laps but 1 lap extra for the rolling start we will use tonight.

Server will have no MR auth on after 7 but until then will just stay as is for MR AB and XGN whitelist. If any new guys signed up for the season cant get into the server now let me know and pm me your steam GUID and I will add you to the whitelist if your not yet MR AB.

I will keep on the normal AC penalties so qualy excludes laps that have been invalid, I have yet to get any in game slowdown at this track so it doesnt seem to be much of an issue at the track but can disable this. I also disabled jump starts seeing we are running rolling starts there is no point people getting a drive through for nothing by rolling early before the formation lap.

MR and Stracker will be running on the server, MR will just help give new guys a rating and I dont think collisions should be much of an issue so it should help all peoples ratings rather then hurt them.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 05:20:49 PM by marty »

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2016, 05:26:57 PM »
I was going to reset the server to a long practice as we do on normal race nights but have decided to just keep it up as is and reset server with pass only at 7pm with a 30 minute practice into 12 min qualy and 16 lap race. The race is really 15 laps but 1 lap extra for the rolling start we will use tonight.

Server will have no MR auth on after 7 but until then will just stay as is for MR AB and XGN whitelist. If any new guys signed up for the season cant get into the server now let me know and pm me your steam GUID and I will add you to the whitelist if your not yet MR AB.

I will keep on the normal AC penalties so qualy excludes laps that have been invalid, I have yet to get any in game slowdown at this track so it doesnt seem to be much of an issue at the track but can disable this. I also disabled jump starts seeing we are running rolling starts there is no point people getting a drive through for nothing by rolling early before the formation lap.

MR and Stracker will be running on the server, MR will just help give new guys a rating and I dont think collisions should be much of an issue so it should help all peoples ratings rather then hurt them.
Is it possible to disable the 1 million seconds pit penalty during races? Otherwise, if one joins say at 8:10 and a race is going on, it would be hard to test track and car for him...

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2016, 06:04:20 PM »
Those penalties we have no control over, once we get into a race with 20 or more people in then I dont really think its a time for someone to join and run a practice session anyway. ;) Qualy will start at 8:30pm with first race just before 8:45 with a second qualy session of 12 minutes before race 2 directly after the first race is completed. There will be a fairly long time to complete the race so all should be able to finish the races.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2016, 06:08:36 PM »
Ok. So we just re-run practice until 8:30, I guess. No problem. Thank you for organizing everything.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal