Xtreme Gaming Network

S20R3: Thruxton Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S20R3: Thruxton Post-Race Chat  (Read 31965 times)

Offline grat

• View Profile
Re: S20R3: Thruxton Post-Race Chat
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2018, 11:20:01 AM »
A bit of a stretch but I wonder if your issue is caused by the security update for Spectre,
See details here, especially on he older CPU performance hit part: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-intel-slowdown-old-chips,36293.html
I thought about that too, as the update came in yesterday... I am not sure about how to check that though

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2018, 11:21:37 AM »

Any suggestions from you computer super-savvy is super uber welcome :)

Maybe start a new thread letting us know what your current specs are, like ram, cpu and video card  8)
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2018, 11:24:17 AM »
with a volta card your cpu will probably be the bottleneck

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2018, 11:29:17 AM »
On your current rig check all the temps with something like hwinfo64, make sure your cpu is good and not throttling it sounds a bit like cpu? Might be time to repaste the cpu if you haven't before.
Thank you. I tested it on the replay from last night races. fps were dropping as usual, but CPU temps were all in the mid 50's and GPU was set between 72 and 73C. All in all, it does not seem to be a heat issue.
Ok, so a gpu upgrade might be needed. A 1080Ti or 1080 would be a good bit better and of course the next generation volta xx70 and up might worth the wait but will be ridiculously expensive particularly around launch, in the meantime definitely overclock what you have since you have the cooling headroom, it can help with the minimum frame rates.
You mean overclock the GPU. I can try, but it would be my first time doing that, really... I am so useless :(
Yeah cpu and gpu, if you have time to do some reading this will help...
CPU http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics
GPU http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2749337/safe-gpu-overclocking-guide-2016.html and there are also a lot of youtube videos for gpu overclocking, stability testing is the most important part, don't want to crash near the end of a race or something lol
Thank you. Ok, so I followed a guide and overclocked the GPU (which I think was already oveclocked a bit by default). It was stable with +60 core and +150 memory, but there was no visible change in performance when ingame.

I am a bit more worried about overclocking the CPU, as I am not planning at all to substitute it. But if you tell me it would really make huge changes...
Cpu overclock should help with minimum frame rates, but might not be much. Test it out, you can put it back to stock. Probably gpu limited in this application

Offline RussG

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2018, 12:38:13 PM »
Wondered why I had lost pace in qually. Realised between qually and race 1 that I wasn't getting full brakes. I turned the load cell up to full to get nearly full brakes which makes me think I have done a load cell. It was better but not ideal in the races as the brakes were just an on off switch - lucky we had ABS.

Race 1: rammed from behind by Godzilla - lap 4 I think.
Race 2: 28% restrictor from race 1. rammed from behind by grat on lap 1. Thanks for the apology grat.
Race 3: 52% restrictor due to the damage on my car.

Nuff said.
Let's do it again next week.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:40:02 PM by RussG »
Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2018, 12:49:58 PM »
...Funny how so many keep saying that the 1:18.xxx times are because everyone must be cutting the chicane, just check the lap speed graph, most guys are WAY faster through there then my lap. So maybe it’s the chicane, or maybe it’s the 244 laps of practice, but sure, let’s go with the chicane thing.. lol

Godzilla, you’ve said it many times (in writing and verbally) that you lose time to others there at the chicane. My apologies for not excluding you as a racer who’s done a 1:18.xx allegedly without being particularly fast there for whatever reason. I’m very impressed by your performance.
I only mentioned it because there were quite a few situations where guys behind me suddenly stuck to my rear bumper on start-finish even though there was a pretty decent gap before…almost as if they were driving a different car.
Of course that doesn’t mean I’m saying they’ve cut there…I simply don’t know because I was very busy with my own driving at these times, maybe they’ve set up their car better than I did or they just drive better than me…all I’m saying is there were some guys being impressively fast there.
So, again, sorry about not being precise enough in the way I articulated myself :-)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:52:45 PM by killagorilla »

Offline ab156

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2018, 09:08:48 PM »
Jump from a 980 to 1080ti is quiet large but a 1080ti is fairly old now and the replacement based on Volta should be coming within the next 2 months ish so hard to recommend a 1080ti now. What’s the rest of the PC spec? The 980 shouldn’t be having any major issues. Maybe download something like 3D Mark and see how your scores compare to similar systems

or ... there will be a metric shitload of 2nd hand 1080Ti'i (is that the plural?) on gumtree in March...

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2018, 09:10:07 PM »
might even be one here for sale, depending on how new cards benchmark

Offline ab156

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2018, 09:21:29 PM »
Wasn't really feeling up to racing last night, partially because I seemed to be really slow looking at lap times and partially because I will still looking for my dummy after last week...

Ended up having a fairly entertaining night despite the results.  Some good racing that just didn't work out for me.

Race 1 - new pedals, with clutch .. you guessed it, jumped start.  Pitted for penalty, had some good racing until I came across my old mate Russ who I punted off the track. Whoops.  I am blaming his load cell issue, he is not having a word of it. 

Race 2 was probably the highlight of the season.  Had fun racing with / holding up Joe only for our party to be ruined by Grat who capitalized on two guys giving racing room to slice past 3 cars on the ENTRY to the chicane.   AND he actually did a right, left, right when he got to the chicane, unlike some  :-X  Came out the loser in the battle but enjoyed it immensely.  Would post a video but have lost the replay. 

Can't really remember race 3 other than getting shunted off on the 2nd last lap.  Another one for my list ;)

Looking forward to next week, proper track. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:25:43 PM by ab156 »

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2018, 10:21:20 PM »
Like some i was not at all confident about last night but managed to qualify 12th.
Managed to make my way up to 6th when nearing the end i realised it was 14 not 12 laps so quick pit for fuel and came home 11th.
R2 equally surprising to find myself in 4th nearing the end and was able to grab two more to come home 2nd.  Best result in a while . . !
R3. Copped a hit at three start but pushed on for a hard fought run to come home 5th i think.
What i thought would be a shocker turned out to be a great night.
Didnt even make the contact report . . !

Offline RussG

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2018, 10:39:49 PM »
It was a bit disappointing to be passed in the chicane like this though, by a car going well outside the white lines:

But like I said, it's a bit difficult to make sure everyone's on the same page rule-wise when some aren't on Discord, or read the forums that much.

I guess the easiest solution for the future is to ignore the white lines and the track is wherever PLP says it is, and if you aren't up to date with PLP you can't race. That way the rule is simple and noone can complain about where another car drives :)
Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2018, 12:06:45 AM »
Took a good shot at wiping me out in the fast right, though I think you came off second best there, had comfortably two thirds of the car on your inside.
I remember that. I actually thought you were way later, but evidently I was getting there very slowly as I was battling with somebody else before. Sorry about that, though, as you said, it went bad for me.
To be brutally honest: I watched my replay: at braking point there is no overlap and at turn it there is a very small one. Personally, I would have backed up given the nature of the corner. I don't blame you at all: you had the full right of taking that move and meet the risk. But to say I "took a good shot at wiping you out" and "you had comfortably two thirds of the car on my inside" is a big stretch, if not plainly wrong. Material for Wally's thread? ;)

Offline Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2018, 12:15:12 AM »
Took a good shot at wiping me out in the fast right, though I think you came off second best there, had comfortably two thirds of the car on your inside.
I remember that. I actually thought you were way later, but evidently I was getting there very slowly as I was battling with somebody else before. Sorry about that, though, as you said, it went bad for me.
To be brutally honest: I watched my replay: at braking point there is no overlap and at turn it there is a very small one. Personally, I would have backed up given the nature of the corner. I don't blame you at all: you had the full right of taking that move and meet the risk. But to say I "took a good shot at wiping you out" and "you had comfortably two thirds of the car on my inside" is a big stretch, if not plainly wrong. Material for Wally's thread? ;)

There is no braking point in to that corner, only a touch if you have stuffed the entry and are running wide to get a bit of weight on the front to help turn. Otherwise it’s a very quick lift and flat back on it. You turned in hard and whacked the car to your right. In either case, doesn’t really matter now, on to the next one

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2018, 08:13:11 AM »
Try to remember, Godzilla, everyone has different braking points (hence why some people are faster than others).
Just because you don't brake there, doesn't mean no-one does. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2018, 08:16:34 AM »
It was a bit disappointing to be passed in the chicane like this though, by a car going well outside the white lines:

But like I said, it's a bit difficult to make sure everyone's on the same page rule-wise when some aren't on Discord, or read the forums that much.

I guess the easiest solution for the future is to ignore the white lines and the track is wherever PLP says it is, and if you aren't up to date with PLP you can't race. That way the rule is simple and noone can complain about where another car drives :)
Yeah, that's probably right. Luckily tracks with bad cutting issues like this one are fairly rare.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal