Xtreme Gaming Network

THE Oculus Rift Thread

Author Topic: THE Oculus Rift Thread  (Read 85045 times)

Offline gawaterman

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: THE Oculus Rift Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2014, 07:04:40 PM »
Check this out if you like your photography tricks.

http://360gigapixels.com/london-80-gigapixel/london-photo-en.html

There's heaps more if anyone wants links to other sites.

Dont know why but I get this

403 Forbidden

Code: AccessDenied
    RequestId: 200292ACA36DDC0F
    HostId: oqUN0PRw8I3b15zJGSXBZV+3LdAXzd+9zA5ehjzfe03SWNJJeGu3ctInAewnGlud

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2014, 07:24:55 PM »

Offline gawaterman

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2014, 06:56:31 PM »
One for sale here if anyone is interested. $400

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1150321

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2015, 09:52:34 AM »
I don't have access to the official forums at work but I thought I'd let everyone know that there's now a new SweetFX mod for Oculus rift users.
It makes the picture much more sharper and you can now see down the road, it's pretty amazing the differences. Night and day sort of stuff.
AA is now sharper and overall the mod makes improves the experience.

it's in programming - apps section of the official forums.

Rolz

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2015, 03:01:55 PM »
Might actually dust my Rift off and try it out...  ;D

Offline DarrenM

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2015, 09:50:41 AM »
Those who hate facebook will soon have an alternative. We just need to convince Kunos to support the steamvr api instead of the oculus one. Resolution is a bit disappointing though.

Valve and HTC have partnered to produce a VR headset called the HTC Vive

http://www.htcvr.com/

Dual 1200x1080 screens with 90Hz refresh rate. Consumer release at the end of this year.

"A gyrosensor, accelerometer, and laser position sensor combine to precisely track the rotation of your head on both axes to an accuracy of 1/10th of a degree, allowing you to look around the virtual environment naturally. Couple the headset with a pair of Steam VR base stations to track your physical location (in spaces up to 15 feet by 15 feet) – get up and walk around inisde the virtual world!"

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:20:40 AM by DarrenM »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2015, 10:11:11 AM »
I'll wait till it's all sorted out...and see if my brain can tolerate this at all :)
I've a feeling that I'd get serious motion sickness.

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2015, 01:00:26 PM »
I can get a bit of motion sickness occasionally, jumped on my mates oculus rift in AC in car and it was excellent, just felt normal. Then I had a go on the roller coaster in a room demo that comes with the set... I think that is made to make you feel light headed!!
Valve and HTC looks interesting  :D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2015, 03:22:58 PM »
Htc looks interesting, res all round is dissapointing even current facebook machine.  ;) Id love 4k res but general computer setups just wouldnt cope very well at that res so not likely for another year or so.

The more competition in the market the better and lets hope they all do quite well so it ends up being more then just a fad or gimmick.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2015, 12:49:02 AM »
I think they should make it 4k maximum with the option to reduce resolution. . Then everyone is happy.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2015, 08:09:53 AM »
I had a go on a Rift while I was in Melbourne. DK2. Not racing, but a 3D demo scene. The resolution is very grainy, being able to see the lattice on the screen. Interestingly, it didn't feel like you were looking at something a couple of centimetres from your eyes. Your eyes are focused off into the distance, quite naturally. It doesn't feel like eye strain would be a problem.

I could wear the mask over my glasses OK, but it felt quite hot. It's a real airtight fit around your eyes, and my glasses actually started to fog up a little.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Rolz

« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2015, 08:33:00 AM »
I think they should make it 4k maximum with the option to reduce resolution. . Then everyone is happy.

yeah I finally sold my DK2 and only will get something unless it's UHD or SUHD (that's the new 8k right?)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2016, 08:18:29 AM »
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/htc-vive-pre-first-look,30894.html

Here's news about the HTC Vive. It has a front camera on the headset so you can see objects like your wheel, as a wireframe object. I don't know if it's always there in view, because that could be distracting, but it's a start at being able to interact visually with your physical environment like wheels, shifters etc.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Rolz

« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2016, 08:36:43 AM »

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2016, 09:35:44 AM »
It's going to be interesting to see how the final product is compared to the DK2. The resolution and some of the motion effects that cause discomfort for some people have improved a lot I believe. However, after using the DK2 in Pcars for a while now I find that I don't "like" the VR sensation. Don't get me wrong - it is fantastic. The immersion is incredible. You can actually 'feel' the rear end of car sliding and hear all the car noises around you as if you are actually in the car. But I feel weird after driving in the VR world and I don't think it is just the DK2 low resolution. It feels like it is messing with my head somehow for a few hours afterwards. Difficult to explain. Very unpleasant feeling for me. I don't get motion sickness or anything like that. This is different.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal