Xtreme Gaming Network

System upgrade - 8700k & mobo

Author Topic: System upgrade - 8700k & mobo  (Read 45763 times)

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: System upgrade - 8700k & mobo
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2019, 09:53:47 PM »
All good with the new build, stable OC at 5.2 Mhz, with my tower air cooler ( ASUS AI overclock, not a manual OC, great mobo :) :) ). Can run with 23 AI cars and maintain 90fps at back of grid in VR ,at a resolution of 2900x2900 per eye. Had to format my HD :'( :'( , cloned disk would not boot, and then got error    "windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."  when I attempted Win 10 install.  This took a while to fix :'(. thanks for the internet.
Anyway I am extremly happy with the result ;) thanks to all those who steered me in the right direction.
https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics
I reckon you got a good one there

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2019, 10:34:00 AM »
All good with the new build, stable OC at 5.2 Mhz, with my tower air cooler ( ASUS AI overclock, not a manual OC, great mobo :) :) ). Can run with 23 AI cars and maintain 90fps at back of grid in VR ,at a resolution of 2900x2900 per eye. Had to format my HD :'( :'( , cloned disk would not boot, and then got error    "windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."  when I attempted Win 10 install.  This took a while to fix :'(. thanks for the internet.
Anyway I am extremly happy with the result ;) thanks to all those who steered me in the right direction.

Very nice. I never tried going above 5ghz but I have a stable 5ghz at 1.275v which is quite low. I've seen a lot of other people need higher voltages to get the 8700k running at 5ghz so I could probably go a bit higher though I'm happy with the cooler temps I'm getting at the current voltage.

Online rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2019, 10:36:09 AM »
Yes, I was lucky in the OC CPU lottery. Interestingly my air cooler was only a cheapie BEQuiet that I added an extra fan to, a "NoiseBlocker"https://www.pccasegear.com/products/44170/noiseblocker-nb-eloop-fan-b12-p-pwm-120mm which has a high CFM rate.  I also, for the first time, used the "single rice grain" sized thermal paste in the centre of the CPU, I have previously always used the "credit card spread" of a large amount of thermal paste method.  My CPU idle temps are in the low 30 degrees and the highest I've recorded under full load is 78 degrees  ;D.  Is this because of better heat transfer owing to minimal thermal paste application, which prevents any air pockets forming?  I don't know. 
My cooler points were 154 according to Asus AI overclock utility, which put it in the AIO cooler category.

This build is also very quiet and under full load is barely audible.

My CPU voltage will go as high 1.36v to run at 5.2Mhz but that apparently is quite OK.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 11:39:56 AM by rooshooter »
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2019, 12:01:32 PM »
The new 9th gen cpus are soldered under ihs, no more pigeon poo lol, so better heat transfer (although the 9900k still stuggles at max oc because of the power it uses). Only need minimal paste since its only there to fill the micro scratches in the connecting surfaces, obviously too little can impair performance if not getting full coverage. I did a repaste on my old xbox one yesterday because the fan kept kicking in to full speed, what a pita that was, much better now. (xbox is only a media pc these days...don't you judge me lol). Have you tried manual voltages, some boards will over do it a bit, also what ram did you get?

Online rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2019, 08:52:15 AM »
The new 9th gen cpus are soldered under ihs, no more pigeon poo lol, so better heat transfer (although the 9900k still stuggles at max oc because of the power it uses). Only need minimal paste since its only there to fill the micro scratches in the connecting surfaces, obviously too little can impair performance if not getting full coverage. I did a repaste on my old xbox one yesterday because the fan kept kicking in to full speed, what a pita that was, much better now. (xbox is only a media pc these days...don't you judge me lol). Have you tried manual voltages, some boards will over do it a bit, also what ram did you get?
The bundle came with 3600 16Gb. I have not tried a manual OC as I figured I would only achieve at best 5.3 GHz anyway. Another plus of this mobo is the built in WiFi with seperate antenna which performs as good as a Lan cable :) :) :). I am super happy with this mobo 8).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 04:43:48 PM by rooshooter »

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2019, 07:32:06 PM »
The bundle came with 3600 16Gb. I have not tried a manual OC as I figured I would only achieve at best 5.3 GHz anyway. Another plus of this mobo is the built in WiFi with seperate antenna which performs as good as a Lan cable :) :) :). I am super happy with this mobo 8).

Does it have RGB?

Online rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2019, 08:26:21 PM »
The bundle came with 3600 16Gb. I have not tried a manual OC as I figured I would only achieve at best 5.3 GHz anyway. Another plus of this mobo is the built in WiFi with separate antenna which performs as good as a Lan cable :) :) :). I am super happy with this mobo 8).

Does it have RGB?
Not anymore Joe, lol.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal