Xtreme Gaming Network

Season 3 round 3: Castle Hill Long race chat

Author Topic: Season 3 round 3: Castle Hill Long race chat  (Read 47409 times)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Re: Season 3 round 3: Castle Hill Long race chat
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2014, 02:01:57 PM »
I know this is an AC forum however...

I found that the Training section that comes as part of Live For Speed http://lfs.net was invaluable in teaching me the basics for car control. It teaches you braking, cornering, starts etc.

The other benefit to LFS is that it runs on "less powerful" PCs very well since it is an older generation sim. For example, if you are struggling to get 50fps in AC you will exceed 100fps in LFS quite easily.

The Demo is free and comes with 3 cars plus Blackwood and, I think, includes the Training module.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2014, 02:25:06 PM »
I know this is an AC forum however...

I found that the Training section that comes as part of Live For Speed http://lfs.net was invaluable in teaching me the basics for car control. It teaches you braking, cornering, starts etc.

The other benefit to LFS is that it runs on "less powerful" PCs very well since it is an older generation sim. For example, if you are struggling to get 50fps in AC you will exceed 100fps in LFS quite easily.

The Demo is free and comes with 3 cars plus Blackwood and, I think, includes the Training module.

Thanks Mr Gratulin. I'm quite happy to learn using my current mode of instruction. Marty teaches me something then Guybrush teaches me the proper way.
Besides, I've heard some of the ugliest racers around come from LFS.....

and you all stop being mean to my PC!! it has got feelings you know! lol

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2014, 02:57:51 PM »
I do fear I taught Dick the Dive bomb manouver but in my defense I did it clean on him every time and it was just a normal pass under brakes. I saw him attempt the same but fail horribly each attempt due to outbraking himself and t-boning his victim.

The big trick to making a clean pass is that you need to slow enough so as not to run wide on the exit. Make sure the guy you are passing has room outside and you dont exit all the way across unless you are completly clear. If you are inside someone on entry you must not run wide on the apex or exit as that will nearly always cause a crash. So when you pass you will be slower then on the normal line but also the other person must give you room on the inside without turning in on you.

Its the same with the esses after t1 its going to have quite a few guys side by side into these but if you stay flatout and on the normal line beside someone your bound to make contact. So general rule in passing or driving side by side with anyone is to always leave enough room for the other guy. In most cases you will need to slow more then normal in order to be able to not need the full track as you need to leave some for the other guy to avoid a crash.

The elise's advantage is under brakes so what may seem like a dive bomb is still a controlled move against a bigger car with worse brakes. Still best to show yoir intention early amd if you get fully alonfside you should just be able to slow with the other guy concedimg the corner. Still leave them room on the outside if they want it amd so the pass may not be completed until the next corner.

I did have fun trying to find a way past others in our practice races, but I suspect with much closer racing through the field this week there will likely be more incidents. So everyone should tryb o give plenty of racing room and if your the one behind do all you can to avoid hitting the car your trying to pass. The guy ahead should not turn in on cars that have got inside them or even someone on their outside shouldnt be pushed off the road.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2014, 06:12:46 PM »
Server's up.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline cramjet

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2014, 07:22:28 PM »
I may or may not make this race tonight. Some family crap has popped up and not sure I'll be in the right head space although a good race might take my mind of things! Hope to see you guys there - sorry if I'm not!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
I may or may not make this race tonight. Some family crap has popped up and not sure I'll be in the right head space although a good race might take my mind of things! Hope to see you guys there - sorry if I'm not!
You're still on the grid so jump in if you can.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2014, 11:09:35 PM »
Race Results and Charts
Season Standings
Season Stats

Congratulations to Mopz and Marty on the race wins and Marty for the round win.

Round Points
Marty   70
Mopz   68
Ysu   67
EdWood   56
Wally   56
Guybrush Threepwood   55
Peter Reid   54
Freezer   50
Bacchulum   44
Imperious   42
Phil   39
Enforcer-J   36
GWyar   34
RPM   34
Dave O   31
Schmittez   27
Vipergod   25
Rob   24
Grubbet   19
Krahl   16
Flattop   15
Dick Forrest   14

Season Podium
1. Marty, 142
2. EdWood, 117
3. Ysu, 114

Marty breaks away a little out in front from a big pack from 2nd to 7th.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2014, 11:21:09 PM »
I broke my PB several times tonight, which was good.

In race 1, I had a great early race with EdWood, changing positions a few times. He and I had quite different lines into T1. He would take it wide and I would take it tight, so that made the esses fun. He finally made a mistake and let me past on lap 7. Then it was chasing Dick, who buckled on the last lap and oversteered off the track. Came home 5th, only 0.4 ahead of EdWood.

In race 2, that mess in the esses was caused by a lag spike, by the look of it. There were cars pinging back and forth, setting off a chain reaction. I got hit a couple of times, which put me back on track in 16th. But I had fun making a few passes to make my way to finish 11th. I had Guy's pink Beemer chasing me closely (I was the most hunted that race, with the person behind only 0.46 secs back on average), but Freezer was putting pressure on Guy so I was able to pull away from those two.

Race 3 was a close race with Guy nearly all the way, until he ran wide at one of the chicanes and I snuck past, to finish 3rd for a rare podium.

It was a much better round than last week, where I finished about 17th in each race. My goal was just to get "cleaner" results this round without spending so much time off track.

Offline Enforcer-J

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2014, 11:39:19 PM »
My first league race in a long time... with no practice on a track and car id never driven so it was a steep learning curve! Especially race 1 when I didnt realise I couldnt go back and add fuel after joining the grid so ran out with 2 laps to go!

I had some excellent battles in all races but was involved in a couple of incidents due to lag that I came out better off so feel a bit guilty for that but not much I could have done. Took someone out in race 1 being a tad optimistic thinking there was a gap but it closed (dont think they saw me) and I didnt get out of it in time (rosbeg style) so sorry to whomever that was :/

4 car battle for a lap or two in race 3 was brilliant! 4 of us comitted to the final corner at one stage and I got just loose enough to make contact and spit me off track bit was fun gaining a few possies back.

Frame rates were the worse ive experienced online so that took some getting used to but overall had heaps of fun!

Cheers Wally for allowing me to race late notice and for you and others that help make this league happen :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:42:10 PM by Enforcer-J »

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2014, 08:25:21 AM »
Struggled a bit had a few good bakes with Rob
But by race 3 I was just too tired and drove so badly I knew it was tone to exit.
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2014, 08:37:51 AM »
Well my internet died on about lap 2 or 3 of race 1 so I called it a night. >:(  Really pissed as it very rarely happens unless someone knocks the modem power brick out of the socket, might've jinxed myself earlier on in the week lol

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2014, 09:03:21 AM »
Best race night ever for me. Said that two weeks in a row now. So how will next week be?

Race one was the most excited, adrenaline filled, sweaty hands, stiff shouldered race I've been in. And I choked on the last lap, second last corner spun off. Was in 5th, my highest place ever. ended up not finishing. I don't want to talk about it lol. Just gotta pull up my skirt and move on.
  Really, that race one I was out of my depth from the start. I shouldn't go from being a tailender to being front runners. Too much pressure! lol. I had to slow down for next qualify so I wouldn't have so much pressure lol.

Race two kept it together and bought it home at least. Got caught up in a accident in the S's , Phil sent me spinning but bounced nicely off Wally which straightened me back up and I was away.

Race 3 AC decided to crash a few laps in. I was flying through the S's when it crashed, Managed to see a few frozen screens of me t-boning a blue BMW, I think that was RPM.. I'm really sorry about that!!! I think I took out others, (Dave O) Sorry guys!

Love the track layout. But alas, It's one of the worst coded tracks and causes performance issues.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2014, 09:21:33 AM »
Good races even if a bit uneventful. My lack of praccy shows very nicely: my laptimes are better and better as the night progresses ☺

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2014, 09:31:10 AM »
Yeah great work Wally at getting this shit together!
Don't listen to the back seat drivers.  :D You have got the car allocation sussed. With what you have to work with. awesome.
There was, what, 20 of us last night? 2 seconds covered us? great.

Unlike the admin for Thursday nights... I think he might be a bit of a soak.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:40:19 AM by Dick Forrest »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2014, 10:09:53 AM »
Lol Dick. It's great experience trying to hold onto a 5th with a swarm of angry Elises behind you.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal