Xtreme Gaming Network

Lenovo Explorer Mixed Reality (VR) headset

Author Topic: Lenovo Explorer Mixed Reality (VR) headset  (Read 35725 times)

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: Lenovo Explorer Mixed Reality (VR) headset
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2018, 07:57:15 AM »
thanks for the links roo. I had a little dabble with vr with my gear vr and some playstation move cameras which worked but took a lot of tinkering to set up so this looks a lot easier. based on my previous experience I'm not sure I'd use it for league races more just for fun but we'll see.
I am also still in two minds, but the fun factor is amazing. When you have it running try the Ferrari Vintage open wheeler at Highlands Track, it really blew my mind  :o :o 8).
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 08:54:40 AM »
Bought my gpu from B&H arrived within 5 working days (but over a weekend).
I tried the poor man's vr with gear vr, took a while to get it going and then only over heated my galaxy s7 (same resolution as this unit?) so couldn't use it and gave up, I really didn't like how bad the screen door and blurring looking down the straight aways was. It was cool sitting in car and looking around though

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 10:10:56 AM »
I tried the poor man's vr with gear vr, took a while to get it going and then only over heated my galaxy s7

Yeah I have an S7 and it did get too hot over time. I was able to adjust the settings to reduce some of the blur and get it looking pretty good, but the lack of clarity is why I probably won't be using it for serious racing.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2018, 09:23:28 AM »
Ordered late Thursday night and had a text to say it's being delivered today. That's some pretty good service  8)

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2018, 10:16:29 AM »
Ordered late Thursday night and had a text to say it's being delivered today. That's some pretty good service  8)
Amazing eh from USA as well! Looking forward to your thoughts on it, any questions please ask.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2018, 10:24:56 AM »
Nice it also has a 90hz refresh rate. Will have to see if I can hit 90fps with my GTX970. Probably can with some settings turned down but will also depend on track. On the triples some tracks I get 120fps some tracks nearer 60fps.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2018, 09:58:50 PM »
Very impressed for 180 bucks. Much better than the Gear VR. 90hz definitely makes a difference. I'm using a the same videos settings I spent a while setting up when I tried the Gear VR and I get a constant 90fps (at least with no other cars around). Just took an F40 around the highlands track. Lot of fun.

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2018, 06:26:27 AM »
Very impressed for 180 bucks. Much better than the Gear VR. 90hz definitely makes a difference. I'm using a the same videos settings I spent a while setting up when I tried the Gear VR and I get a constant 90fps (at least with no other cars around). Just took an F40 around the highlands track. Lot of fun.
Glad you like it and for $180 the price is right.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2018, 07:43:18 AM »
Going by what you guys are saying I'd like to get one too, but I may have to save my $$$ for a new video card first.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2018, 08:11:21 AM »
Going by what you guys are saying I'd like to get one too, but I may have to save my $$$ for a new video card first.

I think it's being discontinued and that's why they're getting rid of it so cheap. If you chose the 'with controllers' option is says Discontinued on the page. Well worth the money though. I did a race with a full AI grid and I did get frame rate drops on my 970 when there were lots of cars around but it wasn't really too noticeable. I may try and join on Thursday and use it.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2018, 08:36:46 AM »
Does it look better than the s7/gear vr, I suppose it's easier to get going too?

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2018, 09:20:10 AM »

I think it's being discontinued and that's why they're getting rid of it so cheap. If you chose the 'with controllers' option is says Discontinued on the page. Well worth the money though. I did a race with a full AI grid and I did get frame rate drops on my 970 when there were lots of cars around but it wasn't really too noticeable. I may try and join on Thursday and use it.
Please do join us on Thursday Joe, DaveO also is on VR.
Using VR is strangely addictive, I really like how you feel your stomach lift as you go down the big dipper at Laguna Seca :o 8).

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2018, 09:26:42 AM »
Does it look better than the s7/gear vr, I suppose it's easier to get going too?

Yep it does. I think resolution wise it ends up being the same as an S7 which is higher than oculus/vive. Having a 90hz refresh rate and being directly connected via HDMI makes a big difference to the GearVR through riftcat in terms of how smooth it feels. I found the Gear VR good just to get an idea what VR is like but I wouldn't have used it for a race. This however I could see using for racing. Screen door is there but not too noticeable; I tried a vive once and screen door on that is a lot worse.

And yeah easy to set up; plugged it in and windows detected it and installed the Mixed Reality stuff and started the room setup. After that you just need to download the Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR through Stream which allows SteamVR to detect the headset and that was it.

When you tried the Gear VR I guess you didn't have positional tracking? Having it makes a huge difference, but the setup I had for that with the Gear VR used Playstation move cameras and a move controller strapped to the headset. It worked, but it was clunky and needed a lot on configuration and apps running. With this Lenovo it just uses the cameras on the front and it's very good.

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2018, 09:30:45 AM »
I have not used Gear VR but with the Lenovo:
The inside car detail is almost "screen door effect" free and track detail several meters around the car also, distant detail is slightly blurry but brake markers come into focus as you approach. I feel that WMR is going to be VR of the future but higher resolution is needed, the tracking is perfect , the immersion factor is the WOW  component.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 10:25:18 AM by rooshooter »

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2018, 01:43:53 PM »
Ordered, the price is reasonable for entry into vr, thanks guys

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal