Xtreme Gaming Network

The driving standards thread

Author Topic: The driving standards thread  (Read 35792 times)

Offline keithsgillan

• View Profile
Re: The driving standards thread
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2018, 11:20:02 PM »
The last vid, the passed car did get a wheel just on the grass unsettling the braking of the vehicle. Source - I am the driver of the passed car.

My apologies for the incident... It would have executed fine if I didn't clip the grass, this comes down to misjudgement/driver error. After all we are only human  :o

Simone your entitled to your opinion. Right or wrong I actually found amusing  ;D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 10:26:07 PM »
Thruxton - incident between the orange and white cars. What do you make of this one? Did the white car "shut the door" on the orange car, or should the orange car have anticipated the fast line towards the apex (also knowing that the blue car was somewhere to the left as well).

[youtube]Sy_J9ovJxI0[/youtube]
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 10:36:26 PM »
Looked like the orange car had enough overlap that the white one should have left some room, but was probably also looking at where the blue car was. Personally if I were the orange car in that situation I wouldn't have put it up the inside as I'd have deemed it too risky that many cars going through that fast turn.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 11:12:05 PM »
Doubt the orange car would have made the corner at all from that tight line so should have lifted.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 11:45:36 PM »
Looked like the orange car had enough overlap that the white one should have left some room

Disagree, contact was made behind the white cars rear wheel, thus orange was not far enough alongside to have a right to the apex in my opinion,

Offline Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2018, 12:03:51 AM »
For a bit of clarity Wally can we please see camera 9 of that incident as I have the replay but no real means/knowledge to upload it.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2018, 12:15:45 AM »
For a bit of clarity Wally can we please see camera 9 of that incident as I have the replay but no real means/knowledge to upload it.
For me, the best clarity is given by
1. straight from above Marty's style (use F5, it's enough);
2. onboards, to get a sense of what each driver could see.

Honestly: I think from Godzilla's point there was a chance and some overlap. He went for it. I probably wouldn't, but if it was a championship-deciding move.... why not? From my point I saw him on the mirror and thought he may have tried to get an overlap, but that probably he was too behind and too low on the line for that. Said otherwise: in the split-second of the decision, I did not feel like I had to give the apex and with hindsight I can see it was a very close call.  I think I could have done better and left a bit of space more (but not much more: I can give you another meter, but if you can't take the apex, then we crash anyway)---hence my apologies. But from a driver's standards thread point of view I call this tough racing with tough outcome for me. Nothing more.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:08:36 AM by grat »

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2018, 12:28:45 AM »
Looked like the orange car had enough overlap that the white one should have left some room

Disagree, contact was made behind the white cars rear wheel, thus orange was not far enough alongside to have a right to the apex in my opinion,

Guess I'm just basing that on how i drive. If i see any overlap i give room as id rather loose a place than crash and ruin a race.

Offline Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2018, 12:44:35 AM »
As I had better acceleration at the time and wasn’t braking for that corner the aim was to get side by side down the straight more then a pass through the fast right as grat had very good speed in general and didn’t think he was braking there either. I thought I had that inside line. There was a role reversal in race 3 where grat got a run on me at that same corner and race room was given, probably to much as I REALLY wanted to avoid contact. Watched the replay a heap of times now, was hard and at times very close racing, unfourtunate it ended the way it did as would have been an epic battle

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2018, 01:05:47 AM »
As I had better acceleration at the time and wasn’t braking for that corner the aim was to get side by side down the straight more then a pass through the fast right as grat had very good speed in general and didn’t think he was braking there either. I thought I had that inside line. There was a role reversal in race 3 where grat got a run on me at that same corner and race room was given, probably to much as I REALLY wanted to avoid contact. Watched the replay a heap of times now, was hard and at times very close racing, unfourtunate it ended the way it did as would have been an epic battle
It's all good, Godzilla. Both you and Mael are very good and fair, in my opinion, and we had some fun playing tough with each other. We touched on a fast corner and so there's no way everybody will get unharmed. But it was good racing (otherwise you would have heard my trademark "no, no, no.... come on!" on discord ;))

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2018, 07:59:47 AM »
It was a tough call. From my own perspective, I generally don't like to overtake on the inside of very fast corners because it seems to me that it's more difficult for the leading car to maintain high speed and give room on the outside. Carrying that speed, while being in front, is naturally going to draw you a little closer to the apex.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2018, 08:57:00 AM »
Thruxton - incident between the orange and white cars. What do you make of this one? Did the white car "shut the door" on the orange car, or should the orange car have anticipated the fast line towards the apex (also knowing that the blue car was somewhere to the left as well).

[youtube]Sy_J9ovJxI0[/youtube]

Considering the ambitiousness of the orange car the there were two potential crash spots - entry and exit. By giving this thing a go it looks a bit it's the white car's fault, but thinking this manoeuvre through it would have been almost impossible to avoid a crash at the exit as the orange car had to go wide there and the white one would have been in the way. In this case a clear fault by the orange one.
So overall the orange one is the bad boy imo.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:16:58 AM by killagorilla »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2018, 09:21:32 AM »
IMO:
It's a fault of the orange car, for not being up far enough,  and not being able to judge looking at white car's movements that they're not fully aware of the situation at hand.  (The white car wobbles left & right a lot)
However, it's also a lack of situational awareness from white car.   Not at fault, but it's what it is, (by the looks).

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2018, 02:10:24 PM »
Watched the replay a heap of times now, was hard and at times very close racing, unfortunate it ended the way it did as would have been an epic battle

yeah it was not a "burn at the stake" event, and admittedly on that track almost very overtake were always going to have some risk. Going to be fun watching you managing risks as the season goes on since you right up there with a chance to win the season... cannot afford not to finish Godzilla  ;D

Offline Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2018, 03:48:14 PM »
Watched the replay a heap of times now, was hard and at times very close racing, unfortunate it ended the way it did as would have been an epic battle

yeah it was not a "burn at the stake" event, and admittedly on that track almost very overtake were always going to have some risk. Going to be fun watching you managing risks as the season goes on since you right up there with a chance to win the season... cannot afford not to finish Godzilla  ;D

Honestly this race was a bit of a disaster for me overall. Started going bad when I binned two different quali laps either of which should have hit the 18’s and got worse from there. Will be interesting from here, have never driven this current track and maybe 10 laps at the highlands so will need a heap of practice to keep up. Okayama and Laguna should be better

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal