Xtreme Gaming Network

S14R7: Spa Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S14R7: Spa Post-Race Chat  (Read 9608 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S14R7: Spa Post-Race Chat
« on: November 22, 2016, 10:07:51 PM »
RACE RESULTS AND CHARTS
SEASON STANDINGS

SEASON STATS
ALL TIME STATS

Penalties
Freezer ran into the back of Marty - 50 kg penalty for the next race.

Round Points
Matthew111   79
Phil.8   70
Grat   62
nith   54
Wally   48
Jeremy   42
Marty   36
M8R   30
Shayne   26
Mael   22
Freezer   18
Doobs   14
Keith   11
Seanus   9
Dave O   7
AJ   5

Congratulations to Matthew on pole, fastest race lap, the race win as well as the round win. Matthew's round!

Season Podium
1. Marty, 407
2. Phil, 352
3. Grat, 345 (swapped with Phil)

Team Standings
Achilles Heels (Guybrush and Marty) still hold their lead over DA Racing (Grat and Wally), 641 points to 551.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:55:31 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: S14R7: Spa Post-Race Chat
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 10:17:25 PM »
Not a great race for me, didnt get in a real good lap in qualy. Took it pretty easy on the opening lap trying to avoid damage lost a couple spots then got nailed in the rear and damaged plus back of the field end of lap 1. I stopped for tyres mid way and fixed the damage which was at least 10 seconds more on the stop then a couple laps later planned to stop for fuel only but also added tyres so another very slow stop. In the end I got back as many spots as I could but not sure if 2x tyre stops are permitted so maybe I get a further penalty even though it cost me at least 15 more seconds in the second stop and only replaced tyres a couple laps old.

Here is the race replay. http://www.mediafire.com/file/95k6xw7w14fu5fk/ks_maserati_gt_mc_gt4_spa_spa_osrw_race.rar
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:36:29 PM by marty »

Offline Dave O

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 10:22:44 PM »
Well tonight certainly shows you can have great racing right at the back as well. Never raced so hard
for a long time.. Thanks AJ I reckon our times must have been identical for about the last 12 laps.
Really enjoyed tonight.  ;D   Dave O.
NEVER TOO OLD TO RACE ... being competitive can be a PROBLEM though.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 10:46:18 PM »
BIG fail for me tonight!
Qualified 7th which I was happy with although had been a bit quicker in practice.
I tagged on to the back of the front 6 on lap one who initially gaped the field but soon had Wally on my tail.
Coming into the final chicane I ran into the back of Marty.  It was one of those moments where you could see what was going to happen but couldn't seem to stop it.  I was actually a few car lengths behind when I braked and just couldn't understand why I wasn't stopping.  After watching the replay it appears I overshot my brake marker slightly, which combined with cold tyres and a rarely tested full tank would seem to be the cause.
Anyhow, big apologize to Marty.  We have had some good close racing lately, but this wasn't one of them.
Afterwards I was at the back and set about dropping my lap times each lap as the track 'dried up'.  I was generally able to but I think a bit of damage hampered ultimate progress to come home 11th (I think).
Hook up the box trailer for next week . . .  :-\

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 10:54:56 PM »
Well tonight certainly shows you can have great racing right at the back as well. Never raced so hard
for a long time.. Thanks AJ I reckon our times must have been identical for about the last 12 laps.
Really enjoyed tonight.  ;D   Dave O.

That was a great battle there Dave, I really enjoyed that too, thanks mate :)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 10:56:45 PM »
...not sure if 2x tyre stops are permitted so maybe I get a further penalty even though it cost me at least 15 more seconds in the second stop and only replaced tyres a couple laps old...
No, that's alright - the stops were close together and you probably lost more time waiting for the tryes.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 10:58:04 PM »
Lap 1, I narrowly missed the Freezer/Marty crash.

A few laps into the race, I botched the braking into the final chicane, and that gave Nith and M8R the pace to pass me soon afterwards, over the next few corners. I chased M8R for a couple of laps and then pitted for fuel, after starting with a full tank. I came out in clear track and drove around fairly quietly until I pitted soon after for tyres.

A little later, I followed Marty as he passed Shayne. I had a few more positional ups and downs, and ended up racing between M8R and Seanus in the dying stages. My tyres were getting a bit ordinary by this stage, and on the second last lap Seanus misjudged how slowly I was having to take some corners and ran into the back of me, spinning himself off, but I was able to carry on without damage. I chased M8R to the end, when he had a big spin coming out of La Source at the start of the final lap, right in front of my nose. Luckily I missed him, to bring it home in 5th.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 10:58:29 PM »
Results are up in the 1st post.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 11:11:33 PM »
BIG fail for me tonight!
Qualified 7th which I was happy with although had been a bit quicker in practice.
I tagged on to the back of the front 6 on lap one who initially gaped the field but soon had Wally on my tail.
Coming into the final chicane I ran into the back of Marty.  It was one of those moments where you could see what was going to happen but couldn't seem to stop it.  I was actually a few car lengths behind when I braked and just couldn't understand why I wasn't stopping.  After watching the replay it appears I overshot my brake marker slightly, which combined with cold tyres and a rarely tested full tank would seem to be the cause.
Anyhow, big apologize to Marty.  We have had some good close racing lately, but this wasn't one of them.
Afterwards I was at the back and set about dropping my lap times each lap as the track 'dried up'.  I was generally able to but I think a bit of damage hampered ultimate progress to come home 11th (I think).
Hook up the box trailer for next week . . .  :-\

No Dramas Freezer, was a strange one watching the replay as you were so far back but must have just had a big lockup. I had nowhere to go as I had to stay that line to avoid running into Nith. I dont think you get a penalty anyway as it wasnt t1 or t2 plus you did redress and we were last and second last after that so I dont think there is any point giving you a penalty beyond that.

Looking at the results it shows how much time I was losing to Matthew at the start with damage as I lost about 15 seconds in the initial spin but around 2 seconds a lap after that. In the pits I lost even more time overall about 30 seconds longer in stops then Matthew but I repaired the damage as it was very hard to pass anyone being so much slower down the straights with the rear damage. The top 4 I had no chance to catch anyway so at least it was a bit more fun in a speedy car even if I gave up a bit of time in the pits. I think the second tyre stop cost me 2 spots around 10 seconds but fixing the damage was likely not costing any extra time. Had I not fixed it I would have lost about 20 more seconds in the second half of the race and that stop was only 10 seconds slower then my second stop so maybe a net gain of 10 seconds fixing it and a car I was able to pass others with. Had I not fixed the damage it would have been more boring and I would have been held up behind most cars unable to get past.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 11:13:53 PM »
I dont think you get a penalty anyway as it wasnt t1 or t2 plus you did redress and we were last and second last after that so I dont think there is any point giving you a penalty beyond that.
I did give a penalty - I have been all season for lap 1 incidents that cause the hit car to lose spots.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 11:25:01 PM »
Bit of a disaster for Maki Engineering.

It was a hard race with a few tactical mistakes. Decided to pit early but this lead to time loss in traffic instead of an undercut. Overall I thought my pace was comparable to Wally but unlike me he never made any serious mistakes.

In the team championship Team Struggle Street overtook team Maki Engineering. Hopefully Freezer again conjures a podium next race!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 07:40:08 AM »

It was a hard race with a few tactical mistakes. Decided to pit early but this lead to time loss in traffic instead of an undercut. Overall I thought my pace was comparable to Wally but unlike me he never made any serious mistakes.

In the team championship Team Struggle Street overtook team Maki Engineering. Hopefully Freezer again conjures a podium next race!
I nearly had a major fail at the fast left hander after Blanchimont, when I got unsettled by the kerb and had a 200 kph tankslapper that I just managed to hang onto. That could have been race over right there.

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 08:16:00 AM »

I nearly had a major fail at the fast left hander after Blanchimont, when I got unsettled by the kerb and had a 200 kph tankslapper that I just managed to hang onto. That could have been race over right there.

That would of been welcomed by me... You have 4 points on me now going into the last race. This fight for 4th place is on! Unless Guybrush fixes his gear for the last race, I'm expecting it to be between you and I, rival. Actually Matthew could steal it from us from here too.

I felt last night wasn't a very good performance on my part. I had some good racing with quite a few people but honestly if I didn't have that spin mid race when I caught up to you Wally then I could of grabbed some much needed extra points going into this last round.

I nearly didn't make it at all in the end actually. I started with a full tank and pitted lap 5 to fill it up again. (I had taken measurements during practice on how far a full tank was going to last me) It didn't cross my mind until a couple laps to go that I might not make it, I hadn't accounted for the fact that the track grip was gaining and I would be burning more fuel later on. Going into the last lap I was close behind Mael and crossing the line I was on 1.0 laps left of fuel. I was telling myself to not worry about the position and just fuel save entering a couple of corners and all will be good. Turn 1 (La Source) *Spelling?* Mael went completely sideways and I was able to take the position but then I knew I had to push to hold on to the position as we were side by side going into La Coombes (Again, not sure on the spelling) I was able to hold off Mael and I finished the race on 0.0 Litres left in the tank.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 09:09:41 AM »
RACE REPORT:

With 50kg of ballast, I knew it had to be a defensive race, but I still hoped for a top-5 result or so, if I had no crashes and no mistakes. The strategy was to start with just 14 laps of fuel, so I needed a good start and consistency, which in this case meant PB at every single lap. Quali was ok-ish in 6th: I had a few tenths to spare, probably, but 5th (Nith) was .7 ahead, so it did not matter much.

As usual, I got caught asleep by the "GO GO GO" (thankfully Freezer behind me was even worse ;)), but Nith ahead had a moment through Eau Rouge-Radillon and Marty had to lift not to get into him, so I found myself exiting faster and with a huber-toe following the two of them side-by-side. I actually had to lift a tiny bit not to crash into them, but then they opened a small space between them and I could fit in it just right for 4th with Nith behind me.

Nith was quite faster than me in this phase, and on lap 3 he tried to pass me on the outside at Les Combes. But he outbraked himself ending on the runoff area inside the chicane and re-entering (a bit dangerously, I'd thought) just ahead of me. I personally felt that was not very sportive, so I shouted to him to give me back the position, which he did. In hindsight, I might have shouted too much, so apologies to Nith and everybody else.

From then on, apart from a brief break when Wally overtook Nith, it was all between us two. With low grip and heavy cars, he rapidly reduced the gap from 3 to 1 seconds, but then I started to get more rhythm and he kind of stayed there. He was faster through Eau Rouge, which was worrying. But somehow I managed to nail La Source for 20 consecutive laps and he never had a chance on the straight. We had an identical strategy, so there was no undercut or anything. But it was huge pressure. Looking at the lap table, I did my PB in all but 2 laps until the last one, when after Les Combes I decided to slow down just a tiny bit, but then almost lost it at Campus.

A great race and an extremely satisfactory 3rd place! Especially considering I was carrying my wife in the passenger seat.

SEASON GOODBYE:
I'll have to miss the last race, so it's time to wrap-up the season. Thank you so much Wally for another amazing season. For some reason, it looks like this car was fitting me much better than usual---or perhaps was fitting others much worse. I think it's up to the fact it is easy and slow enough for me to feel it. I felt I could always steer it with throttle on exit, and my setup seemed to make it turn in better (more, to be precise) than others'. But whatever the reason, I admit I utterly enjoyed feeling I had a chance at podium in every race and I even got my first two poles!

But most of all, I think I grew up a bit in my... racecraft. Nurburbring crash aside, I always felt much calmer than in the past. More conscious of what I should or shouldn't do, and of when to push and when to let it go.

I have got a tad unlucky with the Paul Ricard pit stops f***-up and the Nurburgring crash, and I definitely chose the wrong strategy at Monza. But otherwise I was always very competitive, even though missing the last race will probably cost me the season podium. Hell, with GB and Matthew out for several races, and Marty not having his best season, for a moment after the pole at Paul Ricard, I even thought I had a chance at the title. But in the end Marty is faster and I really admire Phil's ability not to waste a point even in his worse races, so they probably deserve it more.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:48:01 AM by grat »

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »
RACE REPORT:

But in the end Marty is faster and I really admire Phil's ability not to waste a point even in his worse races, so they probably deserve it more.

No, I have just been lucky that GB, Matthew, Jeremy, marty yourself and others have either been away or had bad rounds, , everyone deserves at least a pat on the back  8) ::)
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal