Xtreme Gaming Network

Rolling Start app - please try it

Author Topic: Rolling Start app - please try it  (Read 27624 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« on: September 22, 2016, 11:41:28 PM »
I have tweaked a rolling start app called RRL_Lights, borrowed from here for the GT season.

I've tested it offline, but please download it and try it online, say on one of Marty's servers with a few guys who all have the app.

What it does is:
  • The red AC start lights come on and go off, as normal.
  • Then you take off and form a single-file procession. The app tells you which driver to stay behind. If you get out of position, it blinks the name at you (I added this "driver to stay behind" stuff).
  • It advises a 180 kph speed limit for the leader.
  • At 75% lap distance, red lights come on in the app, and it tells you to prepare for the start. At this stage, the leader is advised of a 80 kph speed limit.
  • As soon as the leader crosses the start line, the lights go green, and then disappear shortly thereafter.
The app doesn't enforce it, but the idea would be no overtaking under green lights before the start line.

The app shows up for 5 seconds in non-race sessions (or when you're in pits too, I think), so you can position it on the screen. You'd put it somewhere where it's not going to obscure your view, like near the top of the screen.

To install, download and extract the folder into your steamapps\common\assettocorsa\apps\python folder.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 08:07:34 AM »
Wally, does it just following the grid order? I was thinking that we could try it on Thursday's for Race 2 reverse grid rolling starts.

PS. Setting (or not being able to set) Grid positions got to be the biggest weakness in AC multiplayer.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 08:11:25 AM by Gratulin »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Rolling Start app - please try it
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 08:57:16 AM »
Wally, does it just following the grid order? I was thinking that we could try it on Thursday's for Race 2 reverse grid rolling starts.

PS. Setting (or not being able to set) Grid positions got to be the biggest weakness in AC multiplayer.
Yes, it works off the grid order. It's not really suited to easily reverse the order from a previous race session.

I agree, it would be much better for the game to handle this natively.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 09:22:55 AM »
Thanks very much wally, this will be awesome for Thursday nights 
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 09:53:18 AM »
Thanks very much wally, this will be awesome for Thursday nights
It really only works if a grid order has been set for the race session, say by the previous qually session. It would work too if you just join straight into a race session, in a random order.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 05:13:41 PM »
If you could do your magic and somehow get it to read the last race results, then modify the grid on the spot with some kind of admin app you would have that then just sends data to all others with the app.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 05:40:27 PM »
For testing the app it would be best to have a closed server too, so best to be a xgn server with a pass as you dont really want to be doing it in a server with others not using the app. Still most of mine stay empty but if you have 2 or 3 in then more will cone and make it a bit of a hassle.

I can put up a passworded server to test on if you want with any combo. I cant do tonight now until much later but should be able to test it out a bit over the weekend.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 06:53:43 PM »
For testing the app it would be best to have a closed server too, so best to be a xgn server with a pass as you dont really want to be doing it in a server with others not using the app. Still most of mine stay empty but if you have 2 or 3 in then more will cone and make it a bit of a hassle.

I can put up a passworded server to test on if you want with any combo. I cant do tonight now until much later but should be able to test it out a bit over the weekend.
Agree. I am up for testing it tomorrow... I am scared of rolling starts, though. ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 07:26:42 PM »
If you could do your magic and somehow get it to read the last race results, then modify the grid on the spot with some kind of admin app you would have that then just sends data to all others with the app.
Apps themselves are pretty limited and self-contained. You can't really do anything like that in an app, that I know of. Maybe with a server plugin. I might have to read up about server plugins.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 10:35:43 AM »
Has anyone had a chance to try this online? I'm mostly curious to see if the name of the driver to stay behind works.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 12:43:16 PM »
Can we please test this at Nords?

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 01:03:00 PM »

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 04:54:06 PM »
Hopefully we can test it in the practice time before next Tuesday's races. Some things behave differently online and offline, and online is hard to test by yourself.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 04:58:02 PM »
Hopefully we can test it in the practice time before next Tuesday's races. Some things behave differently online and offline, and online is hard to test by yourself.
Why don't you post when you have time to test it yourself and those of us around at the time can jump in to help?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 05:56:34 PM »
Why don't you post when you have time to test it yourself and those of us around at the time can jump in to help?
Believe it or not, I get bugger all time to test things like this. It's usually early Sunday morning.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal