Xtreme Gaming Network

S34 ATCC Sign Up and Information

Author Topic: S34 ATCC Sign Up and Information  (Read 13430 times)

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: S34 ATCC Sign Up and Information
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2020, 12:15:33 AM »
Thought I'd share some trivia as we start the Touring Car Season. 
As a teenager my family regularly went to Amaroo and Oran Park to watch these cars in action
as both my godfather and now wife's uncle also raced in lower classes.  In 1983 I was lucky enough to go to Bathurst as a guest of the JPS BMW team with Jim Richards.
My father sold BMW so we had full access in the pits, catering, TV the works!  This was the year Dick Johnson ran his green Falcon into the trees at the top of conrod.
I was there when they brought the wreck into the pits on a flat bed and remember that as they inspected it a guy was already taping up a donor car to respray green
to transplant all of the gear across to.
These days, the uncle I mentioned has spent 3 years building a Torana race car painted up like the Morris Ch7 Car of that era which he now races in Targa events.
Lastly, my father is long time mates with Graeme Bailey of the "Chickadee Chicken" Commodore.  He last brought that car out of hibernation at Eastern Creek a
couple of years ago where we saw it in action.
All up, for me this was the best era of racing and many great memories.

And here a little video of the Torana to wet the appetite!  (really gets going at the 2 min mark - the car flies) 
[youtube]hVll7ej4vaQ[/youtube]
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 12:19:05 AM by Freezer »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2020, 07:51:36 AM »
Good stories Freezer. So did it make your car choice any harder or easier?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2020, 07:52:22 AM »
I might still give some cars a bit of restrictor before the season starts for BoP.

Hey Wally!! Can we know the cars that are going to have some ballast before tuesday?  If its possible.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2020, 07:55:17 AM »
Maki Engineering is not going to have any special skins this season (sorry Joe), Freezer is going to put his effort into winning the season this time around  ;D

But to enforce how far the team has come below is a video of Maki Engineering's early days, enjoy!

I always wondered where Maki Engineering came from.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2020, 10:35:19 AM »
Good stories Freezer. So did it make your car choice any harder or easier?
Not really 😬.  Heart vs head!

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2020, 07:11:16 PM »
Wally, I noticed last night that at least some of the group C cars are a lot more powerful than group a ones. When it comes to top speed the BMW 635 group C is restricted by its gear ratio on faster tracks. Other group c cars may have the same issue. Are you aware of that? If no, would you consider making changes to them? Just like to take that into the equation when deciding what car to pick.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2020, 08:19:28 PM »
When it comes to top speed the BMW 635 group C is restricted by its gear ratio on faster tracks.

Don't dare change the BMW power!!!

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2020, 08:37:38 PM »
Wally, another thing, are you aware of the high fuel consumption of the Volvo? It burns more than double than the BMW  635 Grp A. The Volvo is the fastest car for me, but fuel consumption puts me off a bit. I don't think you'll get through race 2 without re-fueling. Would you consider making changes there or are you gonna leave it the way it is? Again, whatever you do is fine with me, would be just helpful if I knew when picking a car. Sorry, you may have discussed these things when doing the fun runs, but I missed them of course.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 08:44:05 PM by killagorilla »

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2020, 08:40:38 PM »
When it comes to top speed the BMW 635 group C is restricted by its gear ratio on faster tracks.

Don't dare change the BMW power!!!
Longer gears would make this thing crazy fast on high speed tracks  ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2020, 10:12:14 PM »
No, it is what it is. The cars all have their differences and pros and cons, and there's a mix of tracks throughout the season.

Offline bradc

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2020, 08:59:59 AM »
Wally, I noticed last night that at least some of the group C cars are a lot more powerful than group a ones. When it comes to top speed the BMW 635 group C is restricted by its gear ratio on faster tracks. Other group c cars may have the same issue. Are you aware of that? If no, would you consider making changes to them? Just like to take that into the equation when deciding what car to pick.

I think you’ll find this only that Group C BMW that has the lower final drive but at most tracks it won’t be an issue. Even at Bathurst it was only running out of puff at the chase so I can’t see it being a handicap if you choose to race it, all other Grp.C cars are fine. Yes the Grp.C have more power but the Grp.A cars corner better so it’s all about compromise which is what multi car racing is all about

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2020, 10:51:16 AM »

I think you’ll find this only that Group C BMW that has the lower final drive but at most tracks it won’t be an issue. Even at Bathurst it was only running out of puff at the chase so I can’t see it being a handicap if you choose to race it, all other Grp.C cars are fine. Yes the Grp.C have more power but the Grp.A cars corner better so it’s all about compromise which is what multi car racing is all about

Thanks. Yeah, it's not easy to get your head around how all these cars may compete with each other in a race...should have done the fun runs.
Still strange that especially the group c BMW is so restricted by its gear ratio. That's easy to miss if you don't try it on multiple tracks.
The Toyota has a very high fuel consumption too, similar to the Volvo.
There are two more things I hope someone can help me out with. One, does the re-fueling process extend your pit stop a lot or is it just happening while the tires are getting changed? Two, it seems the Volvo gets off the line pretty slowly...does it lose positions to group c cars at the start?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2020, 01:55:20 PM »

Thanks. Yeah, it's not easy to get your head around how all these cars may compete with each other in a race...should have done the fun runs.
Still strange that especially the group c BMW is so restricted by its gear ratio. That's easy to miss if you don't try it on multiple tracks.
The Toyota has a very high fuel consumption too, similar to the Volvo.
There are two more things I hope someone can help me out with. One, does the re-fueling process extend your pit stop a lot or is it just happening while the tires are getting changed? Two, it seems the Volvo gets off the line pretty slowly...does it lose positions to group c cars at the start?
The refuelling happens at the same time as the tyre change. So you can add enough fuel while the tyres are being done, but of course it depends on how much fuel you're adding whether it can all be done in the tyre time.

Yes, the Volvo is slow off the line.

Offline davereid

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2020, 04:45:13 PM »
enjoy this season guys - i dont have ACC but will jump in next time its just AC.

// EEK!! i read this wrong.  I'm all in! :D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2020, 07:38:27 PM »
enjoy this season guys - i dont have ACC but will jump in next time its just AC.

// EEK!! i read this wrong.  I'm all in! :D
Yes ATCC is not ACC :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal