Xtreme Gaming Network

S28R3: Spa 1966

Author Topic: S28R3: Spa 1966  (Read 22523 times)

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
Re: S28R3: Spa 1966
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2019, 05:26:48 PM »
Very sad news about Niki
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2019, 06:16:19 PM »
Server's up.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2019, 09:42:44 PM »
Thanks guys, great racing.

R1 was awesome fun trying to catch Wally.

Unfortunately fps for R2 was just a slideshow for me, and impossible to drive. I tried pitting and getting away from traffic but that was not the problem.

Boo, I was really looking forward to the second race.

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2019, 09:54:30 PM »
I seem to be incapable of driving, and smashed into the same building about five times. Sorry to anyone that couldn't avoid my incompetence.
I reckon I did about three hours practice and only completed about 5 timed laps. Woeful.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2019, 10:17:04 PM »
The first race was really great, enjoyed it, and everything - great chase with Killa!

THowever the 2nd I've majorly fucked up.  wice.  I apologise to basically everyone here.  The first mistake was going into T1, I just could not turn any more I saw the gap closing on me but braking & turning did not work (panicked a little I think, and possibly the cold tyres didn't help either) and that was it....I think it was Freezer's rear I've nudged.
Edit: after careful review of the replay; I'm changing my stance on this one.  I've kept to the very edge of the track, there wasn't much I could have done.

Once we got going, up on the top I caught up to Greggy who was wobbling quite a bit left-right-left-right, and I've tried to keep behind carefully, while the crowds were really getting thick behind...then I saw him lining up left and went for the gap on the right...except I've mis-calculated by a tiny bit, it seems.     

Major apologies, to Greggy, and everyone else caught up in it.  I'll take my 60kgs 30kgs thank you.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:41:54 PM by Bird »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2019, 10:17:19 PM »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2019, 10:28:00 PM »
I seem to be incapable of driving, and smashed into the same building about five times. Sorry to anyone that couldn't avoid my incompetence.
I reckon I did about three hours practice and only completed about 5 timed laps. Woeful.

Blame the car/ setup Doobs  ;D

However this race show why old tracks like these are not used anymore. It does not generally produce good close racing and leaves half the drivers in hospital/morgue. Was fun driving it though!

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2019, 10:33:01 PM »
Blame the car/ setup Doobs  ;D

Ha, actually I probably should. I'd been practising in the Honda but forgot to change to it in car dealer so had to drive the Cooper, which felt like fighting my lane assist in the Subaru.
Still, it was a lack of talent that was the issue.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2019, 11:18:46 PM »
Results are up in 1st post.

Congratulations to AGK on his first win and to Killagorilla for the overall round win!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2019, 11:25:26 PM »
My first race was just a matter of keeping it clean and staying out of harms way, backing off a little to avoid mistakes, and that saw me get a 7th.

In race 2 though, I got caught up in both opening lap accidents which left me with suspension damage and bent steering. I pitted the next lap for relatively quick repairs and then hoped that people would start falling off the track again, which they did. Despite one big spin all by myself when I ran a bit wide, I managed to get up to 9th from 16th, so not too bad a result.

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2019, 11:30:48 PM »
The first race was really great, enjoyed it, and everything - great chase with Killa!
Yeah, guess I was lucky you've had the extra 'bad boy' kg's on board  ;)
I was using my own setup as I just didn't have enough time to get used to Guybrush's. I noticed the car was turning in a lot better, but th rear end was a bit nervous.
However, good to have it...hope I can learn a bit from it when taking a closer look...again, mine is very different. Thanks again for your help...and to Guybrush as well.
The races went well for me. Would have never though I could finish both of them...a bit slowish, but consistent with a bit of luck.
Freezer, watched the replay on the incident with you...yeah, I did move away from you, but not fast enough.
Cheers
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:38:07 PM by killagorilla »

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2019, 11:35:05 PM »
Haha, slowest round winner ever  ;D

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2019, 11:44:21 PM »
Haha, slowest round winner ever  ;D

Grats, mate!
Yeah, the magic of GB's setups is that while they're oversteery - making turning an easy thing! - they are still progressive and stable.   Creating an oversteery setup is easy.  Tuning it to this balanced state - that's the magic.
The only issue is if you yank the wheel to the side, you need to be prepared to catch the rear :)

It also depends on driving style; I remember Darren Marsh, still; his setups were generally way understeery, the only way to drive them anywhere fast was to be 100% correct on entry, otherwise you went wide with no way to correct.   But he made them work the bugger, he used to be one of the aliens.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:46:33 PM by Bird »

Offline AGK

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2019, 11:53:04 PM »
Thanks for the racing.

Fun but eventful race for me.

Qualifying, didn't make a single clean lap, so was positioned to start at the rear.

But I never made it to the start line for race 1, my game locked up as the race was about to start and I had to quit and rejoin, when I rejoined about 40s of the race had already passed. Made up quite a few positions before crashing head on into a fence, surprisingly car was still okay and managed to finish 9th without pitting - picking up one position (AbleArcher) at the final corner.

Race 2 'Bradbury' win was a lot of luck with faster guys in front of me crashing out, and avoiding the Eau Rouge pile up and trying to stay consistent. Fun racing with Joe behind me most of the race putting on the pressure and he almost caught me right up to the finish line.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2019, 11:00:19 AM »
Race 1 was a case like many of trying to keep it together, and until the end of lap 6 that was going well when the smallest tap on a wall saw me go around.  Thankfully
no great damage and two spots lost and I was able to continue to get home 5th.

Race 2.  I got a great jump from Bird and pulled alongside kcender.  I lifted into turn 1 and admittedly went slightly left but was hit from behind by a late braking Bird.
My question as to the penalty to me is did my squeezing left cause it or did Bird miss the brake mark and was going to hit me anyway ( I only ask this based on Bird's suggestion post race that this may have been the case).  From the cockpit at the time I felt I was well past him and attempted to carefully take the turn and was hit from behind.

I pushed on from there until Lap 6 where a bit of a tank slapper getting on the main straight saw Killa slide by, but then I moved slightly left to avoid the upcoming pit lane line and a slight touch saw us both go around, so apologies to Killa for that.  Thankfully we both got going!
After that distraction I had one of those brain fade moments forgetting where I was on track and ploughed straight ahead at the end of the Kemmel straight  :o ::).  With bad steering damage I limped around for a quick pit and got going.  Then on the final lap I slipped by Seanus but he tagged the back of me toward the end of the lap sending me off into the forest . . !!  So I finished the race but not without a few dramas.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal