Xtreme Gaming Network

Fun Run Thursday 8th Minis at Eastern Creek

Author Topic: Fun Run Thursday 8th Minis at Eastern Creek  (Read 13548 times)

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
Re: Thursday 8th Minis at Eastern Creek
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 11:00:33 AM »
Great news Guy, certainly enjoyed the mod, it had the field close and when you check the stats, it was an exciting night's racing, I was amongst racers whom I only normally see on the grid or overtaking me! 

I had a ball, sorry for the tap GT, not intentional or it may have seemed after some of the banter early on... but did have some good 'door rubbing' racing, side by side, I think I overheard '3 wide' at one point.

Certainly experienced the "one lockup = cooked tyres" and had an off and slower laps from then on.

Very happy with the track, if i kept off the ripple strips... was able to make up some time off the straight and on the Brabham section close up when I was in rhythm through the initial turns leading upto the hairpin.

Great to see Robert Grubb, FateD and Mighty, welcome.

Well next week I have the same track with Minis versus BMW (at present, will put in some laps to confirm)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:02:59 AM by Flattop Bruce »
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Fun Run Thursday 8th Minis at Eastern Creek
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 02:00:37 PM »
Was fun racing and I agree with Guy on the kerbs probably the one thing that needs most work, not textures but they are a long way from the real kerbs being used atm. They also have an odd large box shape to them maybe a bit of a drop off on the other side and gets some nasty rebounds off them at times.

The kerbs even in the original rf track werent great, eastern creek always had some saw toothed kerbs. The Oran Park track had these done properly but Eastern creek being the guys first scanned one and likely not knowing what the rf1 engine couldd handle it was a fairly low poly mesh with simple box kerbs.

The mod seems odd going by the setup needed to get the rear end to let go in corners. The rear tyres stay cold and so should have much less grip on turn in. Especially as this type of car will usualy lift inside rear on entry so its basically a robbin on entry.

Still the racing was great fun and the tyre damage on lockups though it hurt me in both races I actually liked. No other cars get any major damage. But my 2 lockups were when avoiding contact or at least trying to avoid. In race 1 after making it from last to a battle for the lead with Wally and Guy I was a little hot into a tyrn and the gap I hoped for was closing. So I locked up but still hut GB, the funny thing was at this point he kind of saved it but our cars were somehow attracted and just kept running into eachother until we were both well gone. After this my fronts dropped from 98 to 95 and it was very hard to stay on track.

Second race on the Brabham layout which I thought was more fun, it was much the same. Guy and I started last and I eventually made it to the front after Wally slowed a little to get the cars closer. A couple laps to go I got the lead but then trying to lap a car. It slowed much more then I expected and so another huge lockup to try avoid a collision killed my tyres again and I fell back through the pack again.

Still even with some odd things with the car the racing was great fun and I look forward to the season. I probaboy wont make all races as tennis will start up again at some point on thursday. And I am also going away for a few weeks end of next month.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 06:55:55 PM »
I agree, the racing was most entertaining, but the cornering felt pretty weird. Most corners I was really kind of sawing at the wheel, rather than getting a good consistent turn in. The close racing made up for the weird steering though.

Imperious had some really good speed in the Mini.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline imperious

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 10:45:36 PM »
That was an enjoyable nights racing.

The mini felt to me as though the front corners are too soft as far as nose dive is concerned, but with no adjustments
at the moment there isn't much that can be done.

I think I was just a bit more consistent than some others, didn't get fastest laps anywhere, but not bad either.
Late braking definitely doesn't work well in the Mini.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 08:41:27 AM »
The suspension is soft, from the little i have read it is not modeled off race prepared minis but road going up spec cars.
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal