Xtreme Gaming Network

Gaming surround sound

Author Topic: Gaming surround sound  (Read 13286 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Gaming surround sound
« on: September 06, 2014, 06:45:35 PM »
Has anyone got any recommendations for a 5.1 surround setup for gaming? I won't be watching any movies, just gaming, in a small room. I just want to hear cars coming up behind me :)
I don't have a soundcard, just onboard audio. My budget is "nothing fancy, pretty basic".
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming surround sound
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 07:13:50 PM »
Pretty basic for under $100, the z506 from logitech is good value for money. 75w would be heaps for a small room.

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 07:19:38 PM »
$98 from harveys, one of the best budget 5.1's

[youtube]me3FOf6QpUo[/youtube]

Offline crimespree

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 07:50:15 PM »
Also have these. $70 from big w a while back. 3x3.5mm cords come in box so you can hook it with analogue connection. Ie onboard sound.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Gaming surround sound
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 08:35:22 PM »
You don't need 5.1. Quadrophonic is just as good for sim racing.

The cheapest way is to just add a second pair of PC speakers and configure them as rear surround speakers. If you have an old set of speakers laying around then the cost is zero. Your sound card will need a 3.5mm audio out for the surround speakers. Set your PC audio to quadrophonic and both sets of speakers to full size and AC will give you glorious surround tire squeals and cars coming up behind you!

I am doing this with just onboard audio.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 08:38:43 PM by Gratulin »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 08:47:28 PM »
Thanks guys. Don't you reckon one dedicated 5.1 system like the Logitechs would work better than two stereo speakers? I tried plugging in two stereo sets, but the sound wasn't very balanced. There wasn't very much sound from the rear. Maybe that's just AC at this stage of development.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Gaming surround sound
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 09:19:07 PM »
Thanks guys. Don't you reckon one dedicated 5.1 system like the Logitechs would work better than two stereo speakers? I tried plugging in two stereo sets, but the sound wasn't very balanced. There wasn't very much sound from the rear. Maybe that's just AC at this stage of development.
Did you set the audio to quadrophonic? Also, use the Realtek control panel to balance the sound (you can play the test beeps in each speaker to test) and then refine the rear balance using the speaker volume control on the actual speaker. I definitely get rear sound as loud as I want ie it can be set very loud and I then lower it for the balance I want.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 09:22:21 PM by Gratulin »

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 09:35:07 PM »
Personally I like a bit of bass, and for such a cheap price it's hard to go wrong, but if you have a second set of speakers lying around, that is cheaper again  ;D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 09:58:12 PM by Glen73 »

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 11:12:01 PM »

Personally I like a bit of bass, and for such a cheap price it's hard to go wrong, but if you have a second set of speakers lying around, that is cheaper again  ;D
Agreed. Interestingly, I wasn't at all convinced I needed surround sound until I decided to try out the rear surround speakers with the old ones I found laying about. Now I want to upgrade to a "proper" 5.1 system. I just didn't realise the extra information you would get from surround sound. Obvious in hindsight!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 04:35:17 PM »
How have you guys wired up the rear speakers? I've only got a wall behind me... do you have wires all over the floor and up the walls? Maybe something wireless would be better.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Gaming surround sound
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 10:54:31 PM »
I've only got a temporary setup. So wires across the floor. Remember that wireless speakers aren't actually wireless unless they are battery powered! You may have a powerpoint on the rear wall however. But you will still need wires up to the speakers.

I'm considering putting the rear speakers on a couple of stands that I simply move into place when I am driving. If I use multi-core speaker cable then there is just a single run to one of the speakers and then a daisy chain across to the second rear speaker.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 11:00:52 PM by Gratulin »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 07:35:38 AM »
Good point, should be able to remove the cables from the floor when not in use.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 09:39:09 AM »
Did you get the sound levels sorted?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 12:39:08 PM »
Did you get the sound levels sorted?
I haven't played around since.

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 06:20:24 PM »
You could always paint the wires same colour as your arcitrave.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal