Xtreme Gaming Network

My track day vids

Author Topic: My track day vids  (Read 39956 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: My track day vids
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2016, 07:51:39 PM »
Good stuff Bird, I need to get back into some trackdays but will probably do it in my next car, current one probably needs some work to be able to flog it on track too much again. I actually like the idea of a slower car like yours though as you wouodnt be held up much on a regular track day. Having one of the quicker cars on track ends up mostly being held up and unlikely to get a clean lap in, having a fun little good handling slower car makes more sense most of the time.  ;)

Offline crimespree

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2016, 10:54:47 PM »
A mod idea for you bird.

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/modified/toyota-gt86-modified-nissan-gt-r-engine#1

I'm sure he's happy with a car that just drives. That 86 has done nothing it has claimed to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2016, 10:17:57 AM »
Good stuff Bird, I need to get back into some trackdays but will probably do it in my next car, current one probably needs some work to be able to flog it on track too much again. I actually like the idea of a slower car like yours though as you wouodnt be held up much on a regular track day. Having one of the quicker cars on track ends up mostly being held up and unlikely to get a clean lap in, having a fun little good handling slower car makes more sense most of the time.  ;)

Mate, this "slower" car beats the crap out of a lot of "faster" cars.  Sylvias, golf R's, falcodores, and even beemers.  They got straight line speed, all of them, but that means squat when it comes down to the laptime.   I wasn't overtaken once in the last two days, (except GTR's) and caught up/kept up with twice/three times as expensive toys, hehe.

In this price range, the 86 is unbeatable, especially with a header & tune.  I can highly recommend it if you consider tracking.
Chris's 86 will be available very soon I'm sure, for a one-off test drive around wakefield park.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2016, 10:35:20 AM »
Considering getting my special lady to buy a track ready MX5 to use when she is back out from the UK and then using that for a bit of fun at the odd track day.  Apparently there is a good MX5 racing series as well...

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2016, 06:30:10 PM »
Yeah, I've been contemplating the mx5.  It's much lighter.  If you can make it a bit more grunty - or if you get your hands on the turbo model....but even without, it would be heaps of fun I reckon.

I've based my decision on the looks as well, and the image of the mx5 - i.e. hairdresser car :D  But don't let that sway you.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2016, 10:17:39 AM »
Another track day at wakefield park.  It was insane fun, so sorry about the long write-up, feel free to skip down to the videos.  But I felt I had to share.

First of all; I did not get any motion sickness. Maybe because I've taken Chris' advice and run with open windows. This has improved the enjoyment a lot.
Second: the day was mostly dry, even though the forecast was miserable. We only got rain in the afternoon. But boy was it fun!
Third: I was fast(er) again! Last time I was in the 1:16s here, this time my fastest lap was a 1:12.75
Fourth: great company! I've had very nice neighbours again, the TrackSchool guys (organisers) were as friendly as ever, if not more. I've met other 86'ers. Very friendly ones. They pointed me towards a NSW 86 club.
And I've met a chap who was/is a member of the xgn forums - Daveo555,from 10 years ago in the GTL league, and he's still a great chap, he was one of the officials. Small world!

And finally, and very importantly; I've turned off the TC after the 2nd session. I just felt it's time. It was just the 5s-TC button method, not the full pedal dance, by the way.
Before this, I could always (well often) feel the TC intervening out of corners, even in sport VSC mode. Without, the car have livened up; I could chuck it into corners much better, and get out of corners with a bit of throttle very well. Laptimes tumbled at that point from mid-13's into the 12's.

The Nittos held up well, by the way. They seem like really nice tyres, altho I can see they won't last very long.

I've actually managed to push so hard that I went off in the dry! (half-spun out of a corner & over-corrected...) Finally I've met my skill limit :D
And boy I had fun! The car is so much better without TC - it can bite a bit, but the wet session ....it's a story itself.

I went out behind a black mx5, he was very eager, mostly sideways out of corners. It was great to watch while catching my car a few times myself. We had too much fun for a few laps. He went off once, then I was leading he was following. When we parked after the session, in one minute he came around from the other row of boxes with the biggest bloody grin on his face (mirroring my face I guess) and we had a good laugh and chat about how fantastic this session was. He had some dirt racing background, and was very good - and brave - at getting the car sideways. :D

Dave actually came to us afterwards to chat because he and a bunch of guys were watching us and they saw how much fun we had and enjoyed watching us :)

Track days should be like a utility service, free and guaranteed for everyone! It was the best track day so far I've been at. I'm still smiling just thinking about it all. :D

Videos as promised ( tell me if you guys had enough :) )

Sorry about the noise, I had to keep the windows open.
And sorry about the offset between the sensors & the video, Harry's laptimer while great, is not perfect.  I'm trying to sort it out but it's a lower priority item - there's no simple solution it seems.  I've talked to Harry.

This was my 5th track day, and I wasn't in the slow/beginner group now, thankfully. 

Now, the videos:

Session 1 
TC  in sport mode. I've set the exact same fast laps twice, a:14.42, on lap #6 & #7 (link to the start of lap 6)

https://youtu.be/BDVHtZS-qnY?t=6m57s

Session2
TC  in sport mode. 1:13.47 on lap #13, then 1:13.42 on lap #15 (linked) 
I've linked this with a bit of lead-in to show that overtaking was not restricted anymore, interestingly - and I made full use of it ;)

https://youtu.be/ym8g48uhL0A?t=7m35s

Session 3
TC off from here on!
Fastest is a 1:12.93 on lap #23 (linked) 

https://youtu.be/Ji3Wis1uJIY?t=7m42s

Session 4:
I'm starting to push more, result; 1:12.75 on lap #29
The white SS overtaking me a lap later is a 700HP supercharged V8.  He was my neighbour.  He pulls slowly away but I'm not far behind...up to a point.
Me pushing results in a pretty poorly executed corner and subsequent visit to the grass here:

https://youtu.be/epAzLhR8cPE?t=12m1s

Session 5, the fun wet session.  Just watch :)

https://youtu.be/sEAytKf8gYA?list=PLhqTUceyDpzJaz_ISDFZAZJ6tKJu4Ntx1

Session 6, the last session.
It is slowly drying, so less sideways action from me.  We've lined up with mr black mx5 again, but he was too good in the greasy conditions and pulled away

https://youtu.be/cEDPfAlI5sI?list=PLhqTUceyDpzJaz_ISDFZAZJ6tKJu4Ntx1

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2016, 10:55:23 AM »
That's amazing to run into Daveo555 like that.

Noob question: how do you change tyres? Do you have a whole other set of full wheels with the Nittos that you put on yourself before you head off to the track?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2016, 11:19:25 AM »
looks like a lot of fun Bird, wonder how an old restored holden v8 ute would like track days
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2016, 01:09:14 PM »
That's amazing to run into Daveo555 like that.

Noob question: how do you change tyres? Do you have a whole other set of full wheels with the Nittos that you put on yourself before you head off to the track?

Yeah full set with rims with tyres, drill used as rattle gun lately, torque key, jack...It's a lot of hassles to pack & unpack to be honest.  Especially with the stupid heavy jack I got.  I'll have to replace it.  It's over 30kgs.
Quite a few people I read just have one set of tyres that's trackable and road legal.  It works, but it's a compromise; most good track tyres are expensive and you run them down in daily driving.  And some aren't very good in the rain.  And they tend to be noisy...(I know the nittos would drive me nuts with their noise)

looks like a lot of fun Bird, wonder how an old restored holden v8 ute would like track days
There are a few of those out there, it works as long as it's in good repair and regularly maintained.  Track puts a bit of extra strain on everything so regular maintenance is the key I guess.   Oh, and of course you probably need a ton of weight in the back to keep it settled :D

Btw I've measured my fuel usage this time with the car's average fuel usage thingo.  It's 21L/100km on the track.  Highway is 6L just for comparison.  Nice, huh?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 01:12:27 PM by Bird »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2016, 01:44:27 PM »
So it doesn't take you 4 seconds to change tyres? What the hell are you doing?!?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2016, 02:54:15 PM »
What are you talking about?  This is how my team does it:

4 secs...pffh!

Offline Crossmember

• Daveo555 // Sideways Always!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2016, 06:08:15 PM »
Was great to meet you mate. Glad you had a ball out there, most guys packed up and left when it rained where you just had a blast!

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2016, 07:53:26 PM »
Oh, nice photo, thanks!
Great to see you here, too ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2016, 05:14:32 PM »
Are you watching the Toyota 86 racing at Sandown on TV?

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2016, 11:57:14 PM »
Are you watching the Toyota 86 racing at Sandown on TV?
I did. But they used to interview the "old" drivers live during the race, which was really good fun. They did not today...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal