Xtreme Gaming Network

Trial race Sep 9: Lotus/BMW at Blackwood

Author Topic: Trial race Sep 9: Lotus/BMW at Blackwood  (Read 36183 times)

Offline insomniac

• View Profile
Re: Trial race Sep 9: Lotus/BMW at Blackwood
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 10:09:25 PM »
Good fun! The Lotii actually turn unlike the beemerz. The standard 240R is a pig to drive after the pleasure of driving the roadster and evora s.

Bring on the tintops!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 11:44:57 PM »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 09:15:13 AM »
Was great fun last night!
I was probably over cautious about warping at turn one last night. Which put me further back then intended from the pack. Think I managed one good warp into Vipergod. He was about to blow an engine anyway 

Race one. Meh, I’ve got nothing outstanding to report. Other than I’m still slow.
Race two, Think I was in amongst it a bit more. Think it was race two where I had a quick dice with some big names like Wally and Bacchulum. Managed to survive and not run them off the road. Probably slowed them down but stuff em! Lol
Also had Rob and I think Bruce applying the pressure.

Race three I think was my best race. Although all 3 where quite slow. I’m blaming my CPU warning and Marty’s head injury. I was feeling sorry for him and wanted to make sure he beat somebody.
Had a good few laps with Rob as well as my Mentor-Nemesis, Guybrush. Think we diced it up for a good 3 laps. I might have had a chance to pull away if I didn’t keep stuffing up turn 1.. then turn 2,3,4 and so on. Guybrush just couldn’t handle the Dick so he got a bit physical and it’s a good thing we can’t get out of out cars as I would have thrown my helmet at his windscreen.. In the nicest friendliest way of cause!

Great work Wally. Looks like the pack does stay bunched up IF there are no errors.

My dissiness was fine! Think it was a few factors. The onset of a flu. Too much AC that week. And teaching my eyes to move away from the one point on the screen. Still a bit giddy. But didn't notice 10 laps. That might be another factor. I didn't look at lap number last night, I just kept going.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 09:48:31 AM »
Fun night, it is a great leveler Wally, had some good dices, great to put some space on the Loti on straight and a bit of a fight on the turns.
Pleased my times dropped and were more consistent in both races from the prac/qual.
This should provide some great racing for us all.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:58:40 PM by Lemmy Caution »
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline cramjet

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 01:33:30 PM »
Sorry about my short run. Had a few friends who wanted to watch me race but it ended up being horribly distracting which is why I went from qualifying 3rd to finishing 13th or so. Also taking strong flu meds and drinking beers didnt help I'm sure.

I found some pace in the 1m, but its no lotus through the corners. Makes for good racing having the different cars though - looking forward to next season!

Glad to hear you went okay Dick, it ain't CramDick racing without ya!

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2014, 02:24:39 PM »
It seems it's going to be a fun season, bunching up the field nicely.
But it maybe a bit frustrating here and there :)

Can't wait for the ballast!

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 04:21:15 PM »
Yep, had a heap of fun when theat head injury guy and some Dick weren't punting me off the road.  Actually, I think I got more than my own back! ;)

In many ways I found last night more fun not having a season leaderboard and points etc. as it took the seriousness of it all out.  Not that I think that is how each season should be, but certainly makes for a fun and entertaining night with a lot of banter.

I can't wait for ballast.  Having everyone race so closely was great... and I guess we can't really race these cars forever.

Offline imperious

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2014, 05:54:01 PM »
Last night was the best Yet for me in Assetto Corsa, although the fastest car was really a bit too quick considering that I had an easy time carving through the field in Race 1. Even some spins and I still managed 6th.
In hindsight should have dropped to a slower car for race 2, but thrashing the field is a rare thing for me so I enjoyed it regardless.
Race 3 should have dropped 3 levels of car instead of 2 but had a fantastiic dice with Peter for the last 5 laps or so and made a pass to win with about 50 metres to go.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2014, 09:28:26 PM »
Was interesting and as long as people get appropriate cars it should be fairly close racing. Surprised the starts werent too bad considering the different pace of the cars off the line and though it was frustrating getting swamped by about 6 beamers down the back straight first lap in one race. One on one could get a good battle against those as I had quite a few laps battling Peter. Only for him to easily pass me down the back straight each time the id somehow get him later in the lap for him to just get me down the straught again.

Fairly incident free I did have a tangle with Guybrush but he was trying to pass me on the outside where I already had 2 wheels outside the track and fairly sideways. Pretty sure that wouodnt have been a legal pass even if he didnt take us both out.  ;)

I also gave Davo a little nudge off track in one race then it was quite funny as hed get me down the back straight the next few laps but could never quite pull the beamer up enough to make the move stick on my little elise

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2014, 10:42:36 PM »
I was battling other cars most of the time, as opposed to last season which often ended up as hotlapping, which is the whole point. I did get sick of the sight of the rear of Bacchulum's 1M though. I couldn't keep up with it on the straights, and kept closing up in the corners. But it made for good racing.

I'm still trying to sort out this car jumping business that some cars exhibit, even though the pings aren't too bad. I'm asking around on the AC forums what experience people have had with Amazon servers and how they've configured their client update Hz for example.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2014, 10:59:06 PM »
I thought the jumping was when people were having CPU warnings?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2014, 11:05:38 PM »
I was battling other cars most of the time, as opposed to last season which often ended up as hotlapping, which is the whole point. I did get sick of the sight of the rear of Bacchulum's 1M though. I couldn't keep up with it on the straights, and kept closing up in the corners. But it made for good racing.

I'm still trying to sort out this car jumping business that some cars exhibit, even though the pings aren't too bad. I'm asking around on the AC forums what experience people have had with Amazon servers and how they've configured their client update Hz for example.

The car jumping issue is a strange one and there are so many variables but one is our amazing range of poor broadband services in OZ. Another is what I noticed on the test at mid ohio when dick was on the server. This shows that computers that may be struggling performance wise will likely cause some warping issues.

The funny thing there was I ran online with both glen and Dick and we all had good pings. Dicks car to me was jumping forward and back maybe 100m or so and he said he had cpu issues. If you try and run a track like nords with a full ai grid you will see what happens when the cpu warning comes up, it tends to play the game in slow motion yet frame rates may be fine when its real bad. Quite a funny odd bug and with my comluter being fairly high spec I really dont get this unless running lots of ai on a very large mod track.

I have never had it in mp but seeing a few guys have mentioned this happening in mp with large grids it would likely cause time sync issues. This will cause the weird warping and if you want to test it load your server up with mixed cars at mid ohio. Get dick to join and see how weird that gets, now I think thats the worst case scenario and Ive never seen it like that anywhere else in mp. But even mildly overloaded computers will likely have small warping and this really isnt anything to do with the server or netcode but the game itself running poorly on some setups with mostly mod content.

There will be more causes to the jitter and warping but thats one of the main ones I have been able to identify. Also going by the way the prebook servers are every car in the entry list would be getting loaded when the session starts. The 3d mesh is not visisble unless someone takes the car but they still all get loaded and so a mod track and 30 cars will have some issues on more computers then 24 cars on any official track.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2014, 07:16:41 AM »

Thanks Wally.  I appreciate the time and effort you put in.

tapatalk on an °[●●]°

"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2014, 07:29:01 AM »
Thanks Lemmy and thanks for the info, Marty. That could well be it.

It could be that people with CPU problems need to alter settings to avoid poor performance as much as possible:
  • Turn smoke off
  • Lower mirror resolution
  • reduce reflection cubemaps

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2014, 08:57:57 AM »
Thanks Lemmy and thanks for the info, Marty. That could well be it.

It could be that people with CPU problems need to alter settings to avoid poor performance as much as possible:
  • Turn smoke off
  • Lower mirror resolution
  • reduce reflection cubemaps

I always have everything turned to min or off on race nights. As i did Tues night. It's a bit dull with no smoke or any pit crews etc.
And at Blackwood it made no diff. Even with only AC and TS running.
I can easily do hotlaps with all sliders up to max and might drop a frame or two here and there. After about introducing 8 other AI cars will I get bad perfomance at max levels.

I'm blaming the net code............ and admin.... :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal