Xtreme Gaming Network

HAPPY 20 Years

Author Topic: HAPPY 20 Years  (Read 23759 times)

Offline frognastie

• View Profile
HAPPY 20 Years
« on: July 29, 2018, 02:34:04 PM »
Congratulations to XGN, who many may not know it, the clan started 20 years ago in 1998. Yes 1998.

In its first form, the clan know as -ozi- started with a game called Delta Force with a roster of approximately 10 players, Blade (later to be come Nosf3ra2) Mason,  a guy called Danny (cant recall his Alias), Silk, Havoc , Ando (Alias?) myself DirtyJoe, and  2 others whom Nosf3ra2 maybe able to fill in the blanks? All of us were based out of Adelaide, SA.  As I recall back them, Nos & Mason were the only 2 players on ADSL, and the rest were on 56k Modem.  ??? you may ask? copper wire and slow speed!

We featured in the Oceanic League against teams such as the Wizards of OZ, AUS, SAS and played on a few local servers as best we could. Throw in the occasion LAN event or a Friday afternoon off work, there always was an -ozi- player playing online. Great times - I often ducked over to Mason's house to play on a better connection - Thanks Mate!

We then moved to the Franchise of the game Delta Force Land Warrior, , and the team started to take shape with more members coming into the fold, such as Havoc's brother, Digger, Brit, Pointless.  We again were leading away in the Oceanic League events and started to play more often on Overseas servers.  Many players grew from the 56K modem to ADSL which improved the game play for everyone.

Following again the DeltaForce franchise came Black Hawk Down, again a fantastic game for its era, imo probably the best FPS. The team went from strength to strength with numbers again growing at this time I think we had a touch on 20 members by the time we moved to DF Joint Operations.

DF Joint Ops, was the game at the time that probably lead to demise of -ozi- into XGN. Diggazz and myself broke away and initially followed by Nos to set up Xtreme, and the Xtreme Gaming Network. We had contributed to financially to a number of servers and brokered a deal with a local ISP Adam Internet in SA whom hosted the boxes and provided free connection and data. The boxes went from 2 to 6 pretty quickly as did the range of games we hosted.  A big shout of Kudos to Diggazz, who was able to set them up and remote control the servers.  After 12 months of this set up we were running most of Adam Internets gaming servers at the time (that's 2003 folks). We had a vision, well sort of  ;D

Games included, Joint Ops, Operation Flashpoint, Battlefield 2, some car racing game lol, only joking. We also started hosting clan forums and running our own events. Oceanic League whom we were involved with shortly die soon after and XGN become the community site away from the others.

Whilst I have not been involved in online gaming since 2008, its great to see XGN still going strong. I big thanks to all those who contribute and those who use the site, I am sure its greatly appreciated.

P.S Well done Nos, Mason, Brit and Diggazz you guys are still going strong by the looks of it, but you are still poofs :) and I am sure the lube jar is still full :)

Take care people and have fun..

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: HAPPY 20 Years
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 04:20:53 PM »
Thanks to all the people who set this site up. We've had a vibrant racing community here for maybe 10 to 12 years now, which is still pulling in lots of members.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 01:43:06 PM »
56k modem? Shuddup.  Fast as.  14k is where the jizz is!   ;)
(that'd be early-to-mid-90's IIRC)

I've joined in - using the 'ysu' alias - via one of the online shooters (Brit might be able to recall what it was, my memory is rather flaky - FEAR maybe? It was somewhere mid-2000's) where I've been able to cause some headaches even to the professional XGN team :D
Back then Diggazz was already somewhat distant,  Brit was running the show, Lube helping out quite a bit.    Then I think we've started to do the GTL section, and that kicked off the racing division (small part to my excellent rental system I hope! ;) )  I've been running it for a while, then Wally took over.

In any case; It's interesting to hear about the early days, many thanks for the historical look-back!
I'll make this into a news item; this post deserves it!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 01:58:23 PM by Bird »

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 08:56:25 PM »
you were hopeless playing FEAR ysu

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 03:35:39 PM »
And still kicking your slow ass ;)   

Offline rulie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 06:45:38 AM »
Greeting all, been awhile. Interesting OP good read and very happy Joint Operations got a mention because i was just about to create a new topic for my new JO TS v2 remix album. As of about 30mins ago, track one music video, from "Path Finder" was uploaded and is currently sitting locked in my video manager department for time stamp purposes.

Serious question, just looking around now for online cloud storage - file sharing sites.
I need to upload the raw mpeg2 files. Track one is 262mb. What do you fellas recommend?

Tanks in advance,
rulie (rule.303)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 06:51:20 AM by rulie »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 12:41:56 PM »
Greeting all, been awhile. Interesting OP good read and very happy Joint Operations got a mention because i was just about to create a new topic for my new JO TS v2 remix album. As of about 30mins ago, track one music video, from "Path Finder" was uploaded and is currently sitting locked in my video manager department for time stamp purposes.

Serious question, just looking around now for online cloud storage - file sharing sites.
I need to upload the raw mpeg2 files. Track one is 262mb. What do you fellas recommend?

Tanks in advance,
rulie (rule.303)

If you're willing to pay a bit, S3 is one of the cheapest and best-performing alternatives, but it also depends on what do you want to do with it.

If you need it for yourself, fast, safe & secure - S3.
If you want to share it - Dropbox maybe good (free up to a few gigs, starts off with 1GB irrc and you can get more free stuff by doing a few extra stuff)

But there are Microsoft & Google alternatives, also with free storage.  Take your pick.

I do not recommend the "free online file sharing" services, their speed & reliability are not the best, usually. 

If you want to share a video for streaming online play, then encode it, and use youtube would be my advice, there's no better service for that.

Offline rulie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 11:48:53 AM »
Thank you kind sir. Yeah, im going to want to upload these raw files somewhere so anyone who used to play Joint Ops can download them for free. I'll try to catch up with Candiman. He may be able to host them all. Hootz where the phantom menace are you? The tracks i made years ago were good for there time and i might have invented a unique music genre, but they could have been much much better. Unfortunately back then i never had the PC grunt, hard drive space for the videos, decent video editor or the darn editing skills to do it right. I still don't have all those darn video editing skills but the updated mixes are a big improvement from the originals and i may very well have some mental morbid obsession with leaving something around for sjw to argue over long after im dead and buried. Cheers for your help Bird!

Offline Sin

• Edit Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 05:45:52 PM »
I joined in 2003, playing point with Digz and Ayerton in the league matches. We won a few, lost a few, I rage quit in a match which I still feel shit about lol, and it was plenty of laughs with the entire shooting crew.

Conrgrats on 20 years.

On a side note, we used to play VBS/Op Flashpoint/ArmA here, I am trying to contact someone from that crew but have no friggen idea where to start. Anyone know how to get Sledge? Claymore? Nos? pm me cuz I have some VBS related stuff to give back and it needs to go to the right people.

Sin, Rigi, Cj, Slapper

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 09:02:48 AM »
Hey, CJ, nice to see you turning up, too!  Long time no see.   How's life treating you nowadays? (ysu here)

Offline Sin

• Edit Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 06:58:33 PM »
I'll pm you bud, no point tying up the post, but we should post up some piccie's. I will have to look through the old hdd's

Offline Brit

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Administrator
  • Pommy Killing Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 08:02:53 PM »

i second that 9! you were pretty awful too haha!! frognasti? Dirty Joe we know you as pal!! stop hiding lol!!

Offline Brit

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Administrator
  • Pommy Killing Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 08:04:42 PM »
I joined in 2003, playing point with Digz and Ayerton in the league matches. We won a few, lost a few, I rage quit in a match which I still feel shit about lol, and it was plenty of laughs with the entire shooting crew.

Conrgrats on 20 years.

On a side note, we used to play VBS/Op Flashpoint/ArmA here, I am trying to contact someone from that crew but have no friggen idea where to start. Anyone know how to get Sledge? Claymore? Nos? pm me cuz I have some VBS related stuff to give back and it needs to go to the right people.

Sin, Rigi, Cj, Slapper

geez all coming out of the woodwork now! I prefer "slapper"

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 08:15:10 PM »

i second that 9! you were pretty awful too haha!! frognasti? Dirty Joe we know you as pal!! stop hiding lol!!

mmmuuahahhaahahahahahahahhaaa   ysu sucks at playing games online    mmmuuahahahahahaha

Offline Sledge

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 10:32:52 PM »
Congrats guys on the 20 years, man where did that time go. The OFP, now ArmA 3 clan that was spawned from XGN called Xtreme Defence Force [XDF] is still going.  Would like to re-connect with you guys again, so if any of your members want to play milsim ArmA3, drop us a line at our forum.

https://xtremedefenceforce.enjin.com/

P.S. Do you guys have a discord server, would love to catchup?  Here is our server https://discord.gg/Jjqmnuz

Cheers and Beers

Sledge
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 10:44:05 PM by Sledge »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal