Xtreme Gaming Network

Pit lane penalty app: 2.00

Author Topic: Pit lane penalty app: 2.00  (Read 190168 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: New pit lane penalty app: 1.8 for download
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2016, 07:30:05 AM »
Some clever spark on the AC forums has developed a way to make apps auto-update, so at some stage I'll do this for PLP.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2016, 08:26:41 AM »
Wow!

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2016, 09:28:39 AM »
Now we just need auto-updating car and track mods!

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2016, 09:49:22 AM »
Now you just include some nasty in it and rule the world, Wally! ;)

Seriously, if this is an undocumented/unplanned feature, I'll be very careful downloading mods from here on.  They could have left all the gates to hell wide open.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2016, 09:59:04 AM »
Now you just include some nasty in it and rule the world, Wally! ;)

Seriously, if this is an undocumented/unplanned feature, I'll be very careful downloading mods from here on.  They could have left all the gates to hell wide open.

It would also make you less likely to want to join random servers that may install random apps on users systems. I think manual app updates isnt that big a challenge and if updates can be forced by server or whatever method with no user interaction its not a good thing. There are quite a few sim trolls that hate ac for example and they could quite easily go about making a proper mess of it with this.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2016, 01:30:24 PM »
Servers can't download apps. Apps can only update themselves, but they could potentially download and execute anything.

The risk is already there. Do you read every python app you run? Python can access the operating system. Some apps like RSR timing used compiled scripts. You can't even read the script to see what it's doing.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2016, 02:43:35 PM »
Servers can't download apps. Apps can only update themselves, but they could potentially download and execute anything.

The risk is already there. Do you read every python app you run? Python can access the operating system. Some apps like RSR timing used compiled scripts. You can't even read the script to see what it's doing.
I thought they had run a quarantined version of python.  Ok my bad.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
New pit lane penalty app: 1.8 for download
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2016, 04:33:53 PM »
Chill guys! Auto-update doesn't mean you HAVE to update everything, all the time. Haven't you been using your smartphones recently? Haven't you had a look at RF2 update feature? It just means an easier way to update if you so choose!!

Grrrrrr....

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2016, 05:13:31 PM »
Chill guys! Auto-update doesn't mean you HAVE to update everything, all the time. Haven't you been using your smartphones recently? Haven't you had a look at RF2 update feature? It just means an easier way to update if you so choose!!

Grrrrrr....

Grrrrratulin, my friend.  The IT world is much more complex than that.  I'm not trying to be condescending, but...

There are heaps of security features in place so the phone can not be updated just by anyone.
These features are completely missing from AC where it comes to these plugins - they are little programs on their own.  Therefore you are trusting the creator of said program to be completely security conscious when building the code PLUS not get hacked (so the update is always authorised by the same person/organisation).

I've seen community built codes.  They're not good, usually.  So I'm not trusting.

Bird out :D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2016, 06:54:44 PM »
All I can say is, trust the developer of the PLP app.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2016, 07:19:37 PM »
All I can say is, trust the developer of the PLP app.

This is what it comes down to, I find it a bit odd that the Pit app has had another person come out and make another version that the original dev of the app hasnt ever publicly really acknowledged. That version is the one with the auto update and so seems a touch fishy why the dev is doing his own thing and this guy is just adding to his work without any direct co-operation. He has posted his links in the same thread and the original guy hasnt objected but I dont see why there needs to be 2 branches of this app and only the new guy has included the auto update feature.

For me that app I have no interest in getting a version that auto updates itself, I trust Wally with PLP but not many of these apps are so critical that they need auto updating. If nothing else it may cause issues ingame if the auto download feature is broken so I dont see the point of non critical apps to have this.

For PLP for example there is clearly a big advantage of having such a feature to ensure all run the same app version. Again how does the app work though even if it auto updates does it require a game restart to take effect or will the app itself reboot itself and work in that session with the new version.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: New pit lane penalty app: 1.9 for download
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2016, 06:11:01 PM »
New version 1.10 to download in the first post, featuring new start lights that allow jump starts.

In a race session, the app displays its own set of start lights in the top right corner of the screen just after the AC start lights go out. You ignore the AC lights and go once the 5 PLP red lights go out (they light up one at a time, hold for a few random seconds, then go out). It will be possible to do a jump start if you go to soon. The start lights go yellow to signify a jump start. You will get a 20 second post-race penalty for a jump start.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 07:21:27 AM by Wally »

Rolz

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2016, 06:21:00 PM »
this answers my question on AC forums :)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2016, 07:29:48 PM »
New version 1.9 to download in the first post, featuring new start lights that allow jump starts.

In a race session, the app displays its own set of start lights in the top right corner of the screen just after the AC start lights go out. You ignore the AC lights and go once the 5 PLP red lights go out (they light up one at a time, hold for a few random seconds, then go out). It will be possible to do a jump start if you go to soon. The start lights go yellow to signify a jump start. You will get a 20 second post-race penalty for a jump start.
Wally, we are tersting on server now. We are gettinbg no  lights but 20 sec penalties!!!

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2016, 08:15:47 PM »
New version 1.9 to download in the first post, featuring new start lights that allow jump starts.

Wally, we are tersting on server now. We are gettinbg no  lights but 20 sec penalties!!!
one thing I noticed is that the text "Warnings 0/3" is temporarily on top left of middle screen at start. So something graphical is going on, but we cannot see the lights... I want to see the lights... lord, give me the lights!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal