Xtreme Gaming Network

AC News

Author Topic: AC News  (Read 763605 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: AC News
« Reply #840 on: August 02, 2015, 08:46:22 AM »
I hate with a passion my rear view mirror being forced on,  In iracing they recomend you turn it off when online.  it makes you panic.  better off enforcing everyone to have spotter.

The default server cfg in the manager has this on so its quite likely most servers will have this enabled. I turned them off mine as I run the virtual mirror anyway and hadnt noticed but can see how it may piss some people off. I have the virtual mirror on with helicorsa over the mirror, this way I can check the mirror and also see helicorsa. I dont rely on just one as its good to use both and ideally id just use mirrors but even on triples I cant always see the incar mirror and quite often the center mirror is in a bezel. I dont think it should make people panic but it may early on, when ahead I always have an eye on the mirror same on real tracks and on public roads in traffic. Its a good idea to make glancing at the mirror regularly a habit so you always know who is around you and what to expect.

You dont want to drive in the mirror and also dont want to drive too defensive but its easy enough just with good lines and no errors plus the odd trick to break a draft to stay ahead of most or make it very hard for them at least. Once your beaten though this is the critical thing to understand and let it go, main key to the mirror is to avoid turning in on people especially if a lap down. Helicorsa is a bit arcadey and a spotter on street circuits is too but due to limited vision in a sim setup its kind of needed. Triples help but there are still bigger blind spots then in reality.

Using the server manager for me is still the best option, I havent tried Joes method actually and was just using the AC tools before. It was quite a backwards way using the old tools but now I can easily make server changes.

I have my 6 servers in the server manager and so each time I open the manager the servers will show up as they are on the server while not needing to even open it. I can then make changes and simply copy the folders in the preset directory over to my server. The manager shows grid spots makes adding skins simple with a preview pic and just a single click. Lets you set weather and temps with the 3 options. It also shows what the actual temps will be as you adjust time of day or cloud cover.

Joes method would be better if you want to setup servers without access to the gaming pc but I only setup servers or change them when Im home and ready to rumble.  ;D When I go away Im not going to be wanting to try change servers anyway as you need to be able to easily update checksum data too and this is all done with the manager well.

I will give a couple guys access to my instance when I go away and this new server manager will make them a pro at it after only some basic instructions. All that will be needed is they run the server manager then save and copy the entire preset folders over. Then just close the server window of the one you want to change and run the batch file to any server they want to restart.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 09:40:08 AM by marty »

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #841 on: August 02, 2015, 04:14:18 PM »
Has anyone tried the FTP Data feature in the new Server manager? There doesn't seem any information on how to set it up.

thanks

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #842 on: August 02, 2015, 04:44:08 PM »
Got a checksum error joining Marty's gtr server last night. Not sure why. I could use it fine in practice.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #843 on: August 02, 2015, 07:52:55 PM »
Got a checksum error joining Marty's gtr server last night. Not sure why. I could use it fine in practice.

Last nite there was AN AC update and I updated the servers pretty much as soon as it hit, if you have the latest version you should be able to get in easily.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #844 on: August 02, 2015, 07:59:15 PM »

Last nite there was AN AC update and I updated the servers pretty much as soon as it hit, if you have the latest version you should be able to get in easily.

Ah maybe there was an update while I was playing and I didn't have it. Just about to jump online so will check.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: August 08, 2015, 04:49:44 PM »
There has been an issue identified with the ABS / diff which hopefully is released in an update soon.

I was driving the 458 last night and thought it was a lot worse under brakes with the rear stepping out.  Turns out Mr Kunos has already identified the issue and is working on it.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #846 on: August 09, 2015, 02:38:43 PM »
Interesting plugin being developed by Minolin, http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/minorating-com-drivers-thread.25732/

Well worth taking a read of it, I have just put it up on all my servers to help him gather some test data. Sorry to anyone that may have been in them while they were reset a few times as I was having some issues getting it to run but thanks to minolin updating the app my multi server config setup now works with all the servers.

If this works as planned then pub servers should be greatly raised in driving standards once admins can select what level of driver they will accept into servers. Each person is tracked within all MR plugin servers and their rating is shared on a global database so each time you are in a MR server it will have monitor how many hits per corner you manage to do. By the way the goal is to have as few as possible but some may take it as a challenge and go for big numbers.

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #847 on: August 09, 2015, 02:47:35 PM »
Just read that thread this morning after you guys brought it up earlier, excellent work by Minolin  :D

• View Profile
« Reply #848 on: August 09, 2015, 05:14:29 PM »
Cool.  Time to jump online and see how low I can get my safety rating!

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #849 on: August 09, 2015, 06:20:10 PM »
Cool.  Time to jump online and see how low I can get my safety rating!

Bonus is if you get it real low you wont be allowed into the servers once that kicks in.  ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: August 11, 2015, 07:49:45 AM »
More setup tips from KS's Aris:

Did you know you can get more grip from road car by lowering the tyre pressures and adding camber? I advice you to start from 25 to 28 psi for street tyres depending on the weight of the car, and 22 to 26 for semislicks. If you overheat, add a bit of pressure, but not much, besides street and semis will always overheat under the big weights of road cars.

Then add as much negative camber at front, and stay around -2 at the rear for high powered RWD cars and a bit more than that for low powered road cars. Mainly, if it oversteers on lift off a lot, add rear negative camber.

From
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/open-letter-to-the-community-this-time-from-a-dev.25835/
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
AC News
« Reply #851 on: August 11, 2015, 05:08:00 PM »
Interesting 'letter' from Aris. I think most driving discussion probably happens in league forums. However, I know that sharing setups and comparing times has dropped off recently due, I think, to the changes that have occurred in AC physics and FFB. This is not a criticism. It just means that old setups can be invalid and driving approaches need to be modified. Everyone is just learning the new versions.

One comment I would make is that AC does not provide basic tools that help improve your driving such as tire pressures/temperatures, split times, brake lockup display. These have been provided by 3rd party apps. AC has the information displays but in highly technical, car engineer format.

Also, AC has no easy way to compare leaderboards. There is RSR which is a 3rd party and then there is Friends Leaderboard which is very limited by needing hotlap mode and no split times. You cannot transfer a ghost from a Leaderboard lap to see how it was achieved. In LFS you could examine the leaderboards laps in detail and also race against the ghost.

Finally, I still find the setup screens really confusing. when Aris says increase camber does he mean the little slider bars where you click + and - or does he mean the real camber as displayed on the car image? And does increase mean click + or make the number higher by clicking minus?

So these tools seem to me to be a precursor to encouraging a discussion on how to drive particular circuits.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 05:13:46 PM by Gratulin »

• View Profile
« Reply #852 on: August 11, 2015, 05:56:55 PM »
He means more negative camber - so pushing the slider to the left (normally).

It helps to picture a single wheel and the angle of this on a track, with the lateral rotation of the tyre around a corner.

When the car first starts to turn it is using whatever grip is available right then - so if the tyre contact patch is "flat" across the track then at that very moment you start to turn your car has access to all rubber available (full grip) and the car's initial turn in is very good.  This even and "flat" contact patch would be using next to no camber - so the wheel is not rotated laterally at all.

So turn in is good, but the problem is that just after turn-in the tyre/wheel begins to rotate laterally because when you corner you are throwing the cars weight to the outside of the car.  This makes the wheel rotate laterally, like it is tipping over toward the outside of the car.  So what initially was good turn-in quickly becomes very poor mid-corner and exit grip because the tyre is now leant over and only really using it's edge.

Imagine a credit card laying flat on the bench.  That is your contact patch.  If it's flat then you have 0 camber.  If you raise just the outside end a bit and angle it inwards then that is negative camber.  So if our tyre is leaning over during cornering load then we can add a bit of negative camber (tilt the credit card inwards).  This means that while the initial turn in isn't as good because at the moment of turn-in the car is travelling on more of the inside edge of the tyre, the cornering forces will lean the tyre over and the majority of the contact patch will then be gripping the road on those outside tyres.

Cars with more weight, softer suspension, and higher ride height, push the tyre over more as there is more weight being transferred through a supple suspension that isn't holding it's form very well (but makes for a comfortable ride to work each day).  So that's why you need more NEGATIVE camber in those family sedans - the outside wheels/tyres are getting flogged and want to tip over.

And it is for the front tyres.  You want those one's to grip the most as they guide the car where it is going.  If the rear tyres have more grip (more negative camber) then the front loses grip before the back and so the front tyres just go straight ahead which = understeer.  If the rear tyres have less grip the rear will let go first which rotates the back of the car around and causes oversteer.  But the good thing about oversteer is that it rotates the car more so if you can control it you can turn the car and corner better.

While the tyre doesn't necessarily tip over, it's more about the primary placement of force and tyre flex, it makes it a lot easier if you think of it that way.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #853 on: August 19, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
update 1.2.5 18th August
- Fixed extremely high level of graining and blister at low speeds

Time to turn those tyre blankets off.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: August 19, 2015, 01:39:24 PM »
Hurrah!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal