Xtreme Gaming Network

Season 3 round 1 race chat: Mugello

Author Topic: Season 3 round 1 race chat: Mugello  (Read 45414 times)

Offline RPM

• View Profile
Re: Season 3 round 1 race chat: Mugello
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 06:49:30 PM »
I am available tonight as well if there are any spare slots

RPM

PS: how do I get in to the AC channel in TS?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2014, 06:53:03 PM »
I am available tonight as well if there are any spare slots

RPM

PS: how do I get in to the AC channel in TS?

Someone will drag you down into the channel eventually.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 06:54:12 PM »
Server is up.

I'm trying client updates at 20 Hz, still trying to find the sweet spot for this server. If it causes warping, I'll lower it.

My skin looks too normal and traditional...

Sorry, no Hawaiian shirts tonight.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2014, 11:19:41 PM »
Race Results and Charts
Season Standings

Congratulations to race winners Marty and Bacchulum, and to Marty for the round win.

Round Points
Marty    72
Freezer    63
EdWood    59
Peter Reid    58
Guybrush Threepwood    57
Wally    54
Imperious    52
Bacchulum    51
Crimespree    50
cramjet    47
Ysu    42
Rolz    41
GWyar    38
Dave O    36
Phil    34
Rob    33
Thndr    25
Krahl    21
Flattop    18
Vipergod    17
Insomniac    13
Grubbet    10
RPM    6
Dick Forrest    5

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2014, 11:38:22 PM »
Was great fun this round probably the closest and most competitive round so far at the front of the pack, had some great close racing with a few guys. Race 1 had a great battle with Guybrush for the first half until he got onto the grass at the exit of the fast chicane and I narrowly avoided his accident. Then Bacchulum took advantage as I had to slam on the brakes to avoid Guys car and passed me. I then had a good battle with him for a lap and a bit until he lost it on the fast chicane too with me somehow just missing getting involved in his accident.

Race 2 my qualy was a mess, stuck in traffic the first couple laps nowhere to go so I backed off enough to leave myself just enough time to get one flying lap at the end. Unfortunately a guy came out of the pits with me crossing with the line with 2:15 on the clock and he pulled straight across the track and into my path on t1 ruining that lap as I had to run wide to avoid hitting him. Still started in about 9th or 10th and had a great race, with some good battles along the way and chased down Bacchulum again for the last 2 or 3 laps but just couldnt make a move as he drove a solid line not giving me a chance to get by.

Race 3 was a great start by Wally splitting me and Guy down the middle and he took the lead into t1, then he put in some quick laps and I just tried to hang on to both of them. Then Guy put the hammer down and started to gain on Wally and they had a battle which ended with an incident that unfortunately took them both out. Again I somehow threaded the needle missing both their cars and luckily got another win.

Will be probably my only wins of the season but I think it should be quite fun in the slower cars mixing up the racing even more. The front half of the pack was really quite close pace wise this round and so with mixed cars things will be very interesting I think.

Anyway for anyone that didnt save their replays from this round here are all 3 races.

https://mega.co.nz/#!SE5DATia!gRJODy59C7f4jixNJTkgd0QcZpP7JPQU0DqncyI-NNc
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:50:37 PM by marty »

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 11:54:47 PM »
First run in this car left me with the "damn understeer" feeling I have about AC so I played with the set up to do as much as possible to dial that out.
Definitely a case of early brake, wait.... wait...... wait.....now finally get on the throttle in order to keep near an apex and that patience proved to work as I had reasonable speed tonight.
Managed to qualify in the front handful for each race which was a bit unexpected.  Each race I just focused on being super smooth and I was able to keep with the pack, even found myself in the lead at one point (a first for AC) but that was short lived with Wally giving me a bit of a tap on the downhill right - left but managed to gather it up without loosing to much.  Had a bit of luck with a few spinners up front in each race and some clean dicing with a number of people.  I now found myself surprisingly 2nd in the championship!!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2014, 12:07:28 AM »
I had great fun tonight, with lots of action, lots of close racing.

In the first qualifying, it was really hard to find some clear track. I was in 14th or something, and finally got some clear track to qualify third, but because I only just finished the lap at the end of the session and returned to the pits, that's where I started. So all that work to find some clear track was for nothing, but it was then a lot of fun working back from last place after touring the pit lane at 80kph while you guys all took off. I managed to work my way back to 6th, beating Imperious across the line by 0.041.

Race 2 I was chasing Freezer, in 2nd place after Guybrush had an off, and unfortunately hit his rear after chasing him for a couple of laps. He had a bit of a slower pace through that downhill right/left after clipping the kerb, I think, and I didn't allow enough for the speed difference and hit the back of him - sorry. A little later on, a kerb ate me and cost about 4 spots, finished 10th.

Race 3 I got a killer start off the line and was surprised to find myself in the lead, with Guybrush and Marty behind me. I thought it was only a matter of time before they'd catch up, and after I had some loose corners on lap 4, Guybrush caught up to my bumper. I think our collision was pretty much a racing incident - you pulled up before the corner and ended up hitting the rear of my car as I headed for the apex, so I reckon I may have had track position, but that's a hard one to call. I gathered it up and ended up 6th.

It felt to me like we could have had a whole season in this car. I found it good to drive, once you got used to it's understeer (I took a bit of front rollbar off, so it wasn't too bad). I had close racing all over the place, but that was probably more so because of the damn Mugello kerbs.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2014, 04:17:42 AM »
Yeah the curbs were a killer for me.

Race 1 - was leading then hit a curb and spun...

Race 2 - was leading then hit a curb and spun...

Race 3 - Chased Wally down who had some very nice pace and got along side going into a tight right hander, I hit the brakes a bit early to hug the apex and allow room around the outside but it wasn't to be.  Then I was following someone who warped back into me and sent my flying in the air!

Oh well still a fun night.  The randomness of the curbs - some curbs were fine to use in certain ways while others would throw you off unexpectedly - probably called for a bit more practice.  At least in the Formula Abarth you knew they were all going to kill you! :)

Look forward to the next race.

Rolz

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2014, 07:04:56 AM »
Top fun night last night! Racing was really close!  :D

Curbs were a bit of a killer... some of them almost acted like a skidpan disk the way it flicked the arse out...

Still overall I enjoyed it and look forward to racing again next week once we work out the cars...
That's going to be pretty exciting!

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2014, 08:36:09 AM »
Good racing, but I was a bit too tired and have completely botched up the 2nd race.   But I've tested a lot of curbs that race, too, and found them really bad :)  Also, many apologies to all people I've "touched" (just going after Marty).  It was very hard to anticipate some braking points of you guys, and I may have (definitely have) taken too much liberty in choosing my position & lines.  This whole thing will take a bit of praccy as the fields mix up. 

The races 1 & 3 were all right I believe.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2014, 08:51:05 AM »
There's a huge amount of community analysis going into this kerb issue here: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/possible-bug-infamous-kerb-of-death.12944/page-8

In a nutshell, it looks you can get some massive, funky camber fluctuations on the kerbs. Disturbingly, the thread has been tagged "No Issue".

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2014, 09:05:16 AM »
Yeah the curbs were a killer for me.

Race 1 - was leading then hit a curb and spun...

Race 2 - was leading then hit a curb and spun...

Race 3 - Chased Wally down who had some very nice pace and got along side going into a tight right hander, I hit the brakes a bit early to hug the apex and allow room around the outside but it wasn't to be.  Then I was following someone who warped back into me and sent my flying in the air!

Oh well still a fun night.  The randomness of the curbs - some curbs were fine to use in certain ways while others would throw you off unexpectedly - probably called for a bit more practice.  At least in the Formula Abarth you knew they were all going to kill you! :)

Look forward to the next race.

You may want to check the replay, kerbs can be unsettling but the race 1 spin ahead of me was definatly caused by you on the grass outside the kerb. Also at Mugello you can use some kerbs just not all and they have some bigger ones designed simply to unsettle you just inside many of the kerbs.

I kind of used that to my advantage maybe give up a few tenths of ultimate pace to make sure I didnt use too much kerb and run more consistant laps. I saw lots of people ahead using lots of them and some grass which is going to be hard to pull off all race and its not just you Guy as you nail your line 99% of the time but its pretty common for people to spin and not accept its their fat in some part. Pretty sure most people that spun on the kerbs didnt bit the exact line they wanted as the margins are very tight here.

Its one of the main reasons I love mugello is that you need to be so precise, for a very quick lap you need to take a bit more risk such as in qualy. Also certain parts of the race depending on pace of those around you but backing off just that little bit giving you a little more margin for error is going to help in the race. If someone could pull off 7 flat out 100% commited qualy pace laps from the front they would have won all 3 races but guess that wasnt the case.

Here if your 10cm off line at full pace its going to be trouble much like driving nords and other fast but critical line tracks. Thats one thing I like as its a challenge to see how much your willing to commit and can you pull it off

Most of the real world track testing I did it was much the same you cant just smash every kerb and some you may want to use as your line but need to find a way to avoid it unsettling the car too much. It takes quite a bit of trust in a real car to get it on 2 wheels or not lifting at all when all over an exit kerb or over fast chicanes.

Still I dont think ac is perfect in this kerb aspect but I dont see it being as bad as many make it out to be. Especially found it funny the guys that did it multiple times over the  21 race laps and keep driving the same lines hopeing for a different result. Never accepting that maybe the line they want to use may not be the best or that they may not be able to pull it off every lap.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2014, 09:20:05 AM »
Was a good night. Even if I had 3 bad races..
  Maybe Mugello is the easiest turn 1 out there? Was good to see all the cars getting around together. Looked like everyone was pretty close in race one. only race 3 had turn 1 issues?
  Was excitied to stay in front of Bird after he had touched Marty a few times and had spun. He got back past me once, spun off then I thought he couldn't catch me for the last two laps and I ran out of fuel!!

I'm blaming all my coaching staff for my crappy result and lap times. I like mugello a lot but it sure is a tough track to crack and takes a lot of concentration, something I had little of last night lol. I was a good 8 seconds off the pace.. I would prefer that to be around 4 seconds, which I know I can do. But clearly Mugello I need to practice more.

EDIT: The curbs! That last right hand curb on the fast 's's is bad. It's broken. Sure it's meant to unsettle the car but I don't think it should insta-180 your car.

and curbs should be able to be hammered in tin tops. I've never seen a RL race where a car spins 180 after getting a wheel on the ripple strip.
Look at the V8 supercars. They launch from one curb to the other. Three wheels in the air. Do they auto-180? Not very often
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:30:41 AM by Dick Forrest »

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2014, 09:31:53 AM »
Like your race report again Dick.  ;D
Event though my race results seem insignificant, most races had some great racing/'mixing it' and in the majority was consistent, if a slow.
The entrance onto the mains straight is my nemsis here, proven time and time again, with cars easily out pacing me out of the turn and overtaking across the line.
Race 3 I had some gains in position, with losing concentration on the last lap and having an off and dropping two spots. And with Dave? sitting in watching! hahah

What's 5-6 seconds a lap?  Onto round 2 and I think I will be sporting the same car :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 12:52:18 PM by Lemmy Caution »
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2014, 10:39:05 AM »
EDIT: The curbs! That last right hand curb on the fast 's's is bad. It's broken. Sure it's meant to unsettle the car but I don't think it should insta-180 your car.

and curbs should be able to be hammered in tin tops. I've never seen a RL race where a car spins 180 after getting a wheel on the ripple strip.
Look at the V8 supercars. They launch from one curb to the other. Three wheels in the air. Do they auto-180? Not very often

Well these are far from a v8 supercar as are just about every car in AC with nothing really coming close to them. They are a very unique car to drive and having driven one a couple times along with some very different tin tops namely the Aussie racing cars the difference between the 2 was light and day. However the Aussie racing car was more a open wheeler with a fiberglass top so not really tin. The v8 eats kerbs like nothing else but the Aussie handles them like a very stiff formula ford especially the bigger ones.

Just wait til Spa come as the kerbs at Eau rogue destroyed at least 10 gt3 cars in the last 24hr race only 3 cars hit the kerbs to spin but then everyone else just joined in the fun.

Though a little different to mugello being a higher kerb, taking that in just about any car ends the same way. But go maybe 5-10cm left and the kerb can be ridden but that little bit too high is very risky.

[youtube]1f48voFkFRs[/youtube]

Another year similar crash
[youtube]TaGchye33Oc[/youtube]

This one not sure if it was the compression or the kerb on entry but big crash looks maybe like hes bottomed out badly just before the kerb.
[youtube]W61XviK2Twc[/youtube]

This one completely unrelated but $%^# me first time Ive seen this. This is what happens when your rear wing explodes on entry to Eau Rogue.  :o
[youtube]nyIQNM-1hUc[/youtube]

I cant wait til we have a league race at Spa and expect TS to have the same variety of curse words to describe kerbs just after someone has wrecked their cars. Damage will be in by then too and by the look of it the kerbs are behaving badly after seeing this pic posted by Aris and his little sign that some may want to take as a warning.  ;)

The kerbs in AC are slightly more grabby then they should be but seeing how bad ground collisions are then the Tyre collisions with odd angled polygons is going to likely have the odd weird and random result. This I think is the main issue but setup and driving style plus line can avoid the issues which will likely be lessened a bit in the future. But kerbs should never be the same as if you were to drive on regular asphalt and will always have some effect on the car. If your already close to the limit of the tyre then this can be enough to lose traction making you a passenger.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal