Xtreme Gaming Network

THE Oculus Rift Thread

Author Topic: THE Oculus Rift Thread  (Read 84959 times)

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
Re: THE Oculus Rift Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 09:27:11 AM »
It is worth the money right now even though you can only use it as an experimental device. The DK2 costs $460 delivered in Australia.

If the CV1 gets delivered in 12 months (I reckon it will take longer) then even if you upgrade immediately to that version you have had 12 months of use of a truly innovative device. It is not ready for full-time use so it definitely needs to be viewed as a "toy". Unlike your sim rig which is definitely not a "toy" :))

So, at the moment, it is a purely indulgent purchase. If you can afford it then it is well worth the price for the experience. Just don't justify it in terms of not needing triples, or upgraded graphics card etc. You will still need to keep those.

I think Mr Marsh uses his 99% of the time. or would prefer to?
 Yeah I've got to do a major PC upgrade before I go rift or triples or 4k or even enter the 21st century..

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2014, 09:56:43 AM »
Just ordered one today - is the 6-8 week wait period accurate?

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2014, 10:09:23 AM »
Mine took longer but it hadn't started shipping when I ordered it :)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2014, 10:31:45 AM »
Yeah, you'd think with all the pre-orders that there would be a longer delay in getting the first batch of orders out compared to now.

If they could somehow find a way to make VR wireless I think it would really take off in the home-movie scene (as well as gaming).

Have any of you guys that have DK2 watched any 3D movies on it?  I'd imagine it would be amazing with the movie taking up your whole field of view.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2014, 10:45:37 AM »
Yeah, you'd think with all the pre-orders that there would be a longer delay in getting the first batch of orders out compared to now.

If they could somehow find a way to make VR wireless I think it would really take off in the home-movie scene (as well as gaming).

Have any of you guys that have DK2 watched any 3D movies on it?  I'd imagine it would be amazing with the movie taking up your whole field of view.

soon to come, thieves walk into our unlocked homes, fill our cars with our property and leave the family rifiting in the movie room..

Offline DarrenM

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2014, 02:00:52 PM »
Haven't tried any 3d movies yet, just a couple of the 3d youtube videos. I'll have to give a proper movie a go. I've watched some tv shows on it (SAO for maximum nerdage), but the resolution still isn't high enough for me to want to watch movies in it.

New rift driver came out which has made iRacing super smooth. Wish Kunos would hurry up and get theirs working fully.

I've probably only done 10 laps on a standard monitor in 2014 so 99% is pretty accurate :)

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2014, 04:04:30 PM »
Haven't tried any 3d movies yet, just a couple of the 3d youtube videos. I'll have to give a proper movie a go. I've watched some tv shows on it (SAO for maximum nerdage), but the resolution still isn't high enough for me to want to watch movies in it.

New rift driver came out which has made iRacing super smooth. Wish Kunos would hurry up and get theirs working fully.

I've probably only done 10 laps on a standard monitor in 2014 so 99% is pretty accurate :)

Silly question time, do your eyes hurt? Do you wear the rift for hours and hours at a time?
Any health or safety issues?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:42:32 PM by Phil »

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2014, 04:38:55 PM »

Silly question time, do you eyes hurt? Do you wear the rift for hours and hours at a time?

Haven't you seen Lawnmower Man??? or TRON??? There are MANY concerns..

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2014, 08:14:58 AM »

Silly question time, do your eyes hurt? Do you wear the rift for hours and hours at a time?

Yeah those are my questions, too. 

While I don't think they'll hurt, mind you, it's an interesting situation, as the screens are extremely close to you, so it may have a long-term effect on your eyes.   But it maybe such long term, that nobody will notice it for a few years....

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2014, 08:20:23 AM »

While I don't think they'll hurt, mind you, it's an interesting situation, as the screens are extremely close to you, so it may have a long-term effect on your eyes.   But it maybe such long term, that nobody will notice it for a few years....

Yeah that is a big concern as your eyes stay focused on the screens up close to your eyes for a very long time. I also wonder about neck strain. And people making rude signs at you or going through your stuff while you have your rift on.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2014, 08:50:55 AM »
Maybe long term you will no longer be able to see without the rift, no problem just attach a couple cameras and spend every day walking around with a rift on your head. At least you will be permenantly attached to your facebook account which will please a few.  ;D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2014, 08:51:11 AM »

That's my concern too. In the future, rifters won't be able to see the real world any more with their rift-evolved eyes, and they'll have to wear their rifts everywhere, navigating through a virtual world.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2014, 08:51:52 AM »
Ha Marty, synchronicity.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2014, 08:55:29 AM »
I beat you by 6 seconds  ;)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2014, 09:23:07 AM »
I read somewhere that the focusing of your eyes is different in the Rift as opposed to a monitor.  This could be wrong, but the way I understood it was that your eyes focus on the monitor's glass panel - so basically a foot or so away from your face, where as with the rift they are actually focusing on something that could be in the distance or up close due to the 3D/screen wizadry... or something.

Not sure how true this is, but I read it on the internet and normally it's right about most things.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal