Xtreme Gaming Network

Budget TV Advice

Author Topic: Budget TV Advice  (Read 15365 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Budget TV Advice
« on: July 17, 2015, 01:17:06 PM »
Any had any experiences with the cheaper TV brands? Soniq, JVC, DSE etc

I've always had Samsung TV's, and currently want to upgrade but can't really justify ~900 bucks for a 42" Samsung.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Budget TV Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 06:25:58 PM »
Pass. Next question :)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 07:28:19 PM »
JVC isn't quite an el-cheapo new brand....I had a JVC casette tape recorder/radio back 25 years ago, and it was great.
Altho they maybe new to the TV market.

But just to put this in perspective, I've paid $2k for our 50" pana plasma a few years back .   I somewhat regret it, mind you, panasonic does not even know what user friendliness means.  I'd buy an LG or Samsung over it anytime now (I had a chance to test a few others on holidays, hehe)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:30:33 PM by Bird »

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 07:40:29 PM »
Yeah when it came to Camcorders and VCRs it was all about JVC, but their current TV's are in the same price range as the budget brands, and researching some people say they'd take a Soniq over a JVC.

I currently have a 32" Samsung LCD that I bought 6 years ago for $1300, but now I'm after something bigger. If it was totally up to me I'd of course go for a huge Samsung, but my wife seems to think we don't "need" a new TV  ;D Maybe the old one might fall off the cabinet, maybe the kids did it, then the word "need' might be relevant  ::)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 09:33:40 AM »
I know that sort of need...
our upgrade:
(50cm to 50in)

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 02:41:50 PM »
I luvs ma fiddy!!  :)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 07:08:47 PM »
Keep lovin' it.
I accidentally bought a 60 and I can never go back, so I'm stuck with expensive TV's now. :-\

2+2=√16

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 11:06:53 PM »
Keep lovin' it.
I accidentally bought a 60 and I can never go back, so I'm stuck with expensive TV's now. :-\

Why don't you like the 60?  Is it the size or the TV itself?

I'm considering upgrading from a 50 to a 70 is all.

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 06:20:09 AM »
Hi Joe, out of necessity when I was caring for my wife I had to replace our expensive Sharp TV and could only afford a budget replacement. I didn't have the opportunity to compare brands and just bought a Soniq from JB's

I must say that it's turned out to be a better set than the Sharp (which was rubbish) and after about 4 years I am still happy with it. My only reservation about it would be the sound quality. It's not terrible but just not quite up there with the big boys, but as I play it through a home theatre system it's not a biggie for me.

Hope this helps
Rob

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 09:34:58 AM »
Thanks Rob. I'm leaning towards the 48" Soniq. I've read as few reviews that say with tweaking you can get it looking pretty good. Also says about the sound quality not being great but I always use headphones anyway.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 09:51:29 AM »
Keep lovin' it.

Why don't you like the 60?  Is it the size or the TV itself?

I'm considering upgrading from a 50 to a 70 is all.
No, I love it! ;D
It just means I have to replace it (when needed) with a 60 or bigger. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline UBGrumpy

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 12:09:39 PM »
I would recommend the Soniq over any other cheaper brand. They are made in Melbourne and are an Australian company. JB is the only place that is permitted to sell them so haggling a cheaper price is harder but not impossible.

The picture quality is as good as any of the other cheaper brands but the thing I like most about them, they will play any file type. They have a USB port, just plug an external hardrive in it and it will play 'All' file types.

Sometimes when playing files and depending on what codec is used, the TV will sometimes not recognize the proper resolution, but this is easily fixed with a few clicks on the Remote Control. Nothing hard.

For the price the Soniq's are very good value in my opinion. ;)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 01:19:25 PM »
I would recommend the Soniq over any other cheaper brand. They are made in Melbourne and are an Australian company. JB is the only place that is permitted to sell them so haggling a cheaper price is harder but not impossible.

The picture quality is as good as any of the other cheaper brands but the thing I like most about them, they will play any file type. They have a USB port, just plug an external hardrive in it and it will play 'All' file types.

Sometimes when playing files and depending on what codec is used, the TV will sometimes not recognize the proper resolution, but this is easily fixed with a few clicks on the Remote Control. Nothing hard.

For the price the Soniq's are very good value in my opinion. ;)

Thanks for that, think I'm sold on the 48" Soniq. Seems good for 500 bucks, and I've read sometimes they go on sale for 400. I found a thread with recommended settings to get it looks good, as apparently the stock settings are a bit pants. Only has optical audio out so gonna need an optical to RCA adapter for my wireless headphones, but I see them on eBay for about 13 bucks.

Just gotta wait until next month as because we don't "need" the new TV, it's coming out of my own spending budget which is 100 bucks a month...  ;D

Offline Brit

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Administrator
  • Pommy Killing Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 08:50:58 PM »
i have heard the Kogan 4K screens are great and apparently use LG panels... and a great price at $539 plus post for 42" Agora 4K Smart LED TV (Ultra HD)

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-42-agora-4k-smart-led-tv-ultrahd/

a mate got one and he is really happy with it...

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 11:17:42 AM »
Cheers Brit. I had decided to stay clear of Kogan as if you google reviews for them they're pretty much all terrible.

I had decided on the 48" Soniq, but when I went to look at it in store it's been discontinued and replaced by a 'smart' version for $100 more. While I'm willing to risk a cheaper brand, I'd want to stay clear of the smart side of things as that's bound to go wrong in a cheap TV.

I may just bide my time and keep an eye out for a couple year old decent Samsung on eBay. A couple went on there yesterday but they were slightly over my current TV budget  :o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal