Xtreme Gaming Network

System upgrade - 8700k & mobo

Author Topic: System upgrade - 8700k & mobo  (Read 45758 times)

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
System upgrade - 8700k & mobo
« on: September 25, 2018, 08:51:59 AM »
I've been meaning to share my thoughts on this cpu for a while since a few people have mentioned sharing during race chat. (not a brag)
First up, this upgrade from 6700k was probably not needed and is an expensive one considering the small gains to be had...but I had the itch like some others here. With the 6700k I was noticing some hitching/micro stutter in AC particularly when the leader crosses the start/finish on the first & last lap, also when people were entering discord chat during practice. I was unable to find a solution/optimisation, the cpu was already overclocked to the max and the (small I know) issues being just annoying enough to fuel my upgrade itch. I believe the 8700k has helped a lot but not totally rid the issue, doesn't happen with discord any longer, but still very occasional (much smaller and less frequent) micro stutter in ac start/finish line. So the extra cpu threads/resources have helped my system overall, particularly when running multiple background tasks eg, Sim Hub, Crew Chief, discord and what ever else windows tries to do these days. Battlefield 1 frame rate has increased by a nice margin, previously was about 90-125 fps with my settings and now at 110-150 fps, the only thing is it's not perceivable, the game ran so smooth anyways.
 So if your thinking about upgrading, the price to performance is not great but the performance is there especially if your on older hardware.
These 14nm cpu's run hot so I've done the de-lid and apply liquid metal on both my cpu's but the 6700k had custom water cooling and the 8700k I have a big Cryorig R1 Universal air cooler and temps are quite nice.
My 8700k seems to be a decent one, not golden but not shite, settings;
5Ghz @ 1.3v, vcore in hwinfo reads 1.32v under light loads and 1.29v under heavy load/stress tests, so still a small amount of vdroop.
Cache is set to stock, no overclock there.
Ram is 4x 8gb 3200 @ 3466mhz with vccio @ 1.15v and vccsa (internal memory controller) 1.18v. Hwinfo shows these at 1.17 & 1.19 respectively. Also xmp profiles usually pump too much voltage into these, upwards of 1.3v unnecessarily increasing cpu temps.
All other intel turbo, speed step, power saving features are still enabled. I haven't the cpu any higher yet, very happy with where it is now.
Just sharing my results for those interested and for the guys that have the same cpu. Any questions I'll try my best to answer, I'm not a pro at this stuff just a pc/gaming enthusiast, it's my hobby I spend my hard earned on instead of beer or whatever (don't you judge me lol).
I'm also interested in the guys sharing there thoughts on the ryzen stuff since I almost converted to save a few bucks but only stuck with intel because I'm familiar with it and I knew my ram was compatible.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: System upgrade - 8700k & mobo
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 01:24:31 PM »
Sounds good. I currently have an i5 6500 (non-k) which I do want to upgrade soon to something meatier and a fancier MB. That said I also have a GTX 970 and would like to upgrade that to a 1080TI so not sure I can justify doing both. If I did do both through I pretty much have a second system as I upgraded my case and a few other parts a while back, so selling the second system could cover some of the cost.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 02:48:48 PM »
There's quite a few second hand beefy cards floating around ebay & gumtree which you could probably pick up pretty cheap, also sales on new ones popping up every now and then. New 9 series cpus and z390 mobos coming out soon so there might even be some second hand i7/z370 bargains too. The new 9700k 8 core without hyperthreading sounds like it's going to be a good cpu for a gaming pc, depending on pricing.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 08:37:08 AM »
I'm following in your footsteps.... Happy Xmas/early Birthday too meeee!

I ordered a bundle from PC Case Gear: 8700k + ASUS ROG Z370-G Mobo and 16GB of 3000MHz Team T-Force Delta. I then also got an ex-mined Gigabyte 1070 on eBay for $360 (assuming ex-mined due to the fact the guy was selling 20 of them)

5Ghz @ 1.3v seems pretty good. I'm hoping I can get away with that too with air cooling. I have a Kraken x52 cooler.

My justification for such a big upgrade is that I have now upgraded everything and have a second system that'll I'll look to sell to cover some of the cost.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 09:39:27 AM »
Sweet combo, should be good. My old gtx780 reference model in my daughters rig started to display graphical glitches (green dots intermittently) so went hunting on gumtree and got an evga sc2 1070 for $375, was asking 450 (he had two and almost took both at that price). Pristine condition and said never mined on, face to face he seemed genuine. A bit overkill for my daughter lol, but should hopefully last a long while and she's starting to play my games from steam and Ubisoft

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 08:24:31 AM »
Work in progress. Couple of hours last night; bigger job that I thought as pretty much a new build. GPU due for delivery today so should be all finished tonight yeeewwwwww

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 08:37:47 AM »
It's no small task, do you have your windows key or have it tied to a Microshaft account? New mobo drivers downloaded on usb ready to go (chipset, lan, audio). Looking good

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 10:28:44 AM »
It's no small task, do you have your windows key or have it tied to a Microshaft account? New mobo drivers downloaded on usb ready to go (chipset, lan, audio). Looking good

I always forget the drivers.  Luckily we've multiple computers in the house, so it's not that big a deal :)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 01:00:00 PM »
do you have your windows key or have it tied to a Microshaft account?

Can't really remember but I'm not changing HDDs so not a problem

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 01:12:54 PM »

Usually with a mobo swap windows will need to be reactivated, so just punch the code again or if you've logged in to a Microshaft account it should be ok.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 01:37:33 PM »

Usually with a mobo swap windows will need to be reactivated, so just punch the code again or if you've logged in to a Microshaft account it should be ok.

Ah okay. Pretty sure I have the code in my email somewhere.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 02:30:13 PM »

I've used jelly bean key finder before and works ok https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/find-windows-10-product-key-3632749/

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 04:24:33 PM »

I've used jelly bean key finder before and works ok https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/find-windows-10-product-key-3632749/

I have a windows 8 key in my email from when I bought it so should be all good. heading home from work now looking forward to finishing off the build once the kids are in bed!

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 04:55:01 PM »
I think when you upgrade to 10, win 10 allocates a new key, so if the 8 key don't work try a key finder, none of this will be necessary if it doesn't ask you to reactivate but for me it did with a mobo upgrade
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 09:35:22 PM by buellersdayoff »

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 12:05:58 AM »
it was all going so well... got new drivers etc installed ran tomb raider benchmark on highest settings and average 80fps which is double what my old system did then boom it turned off. wont turn back on again. light on the mobo come on but wont power up... took my old psu and connected it to the mobo only it tried to boot. new psu plugged back in and nothing.. think the new psu just died after about 30 mins use

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal