Xtreme Gaming Network

S28R2: Suzuka 1988

Author Topic: S28R2: Suzuka 1988  (Read 33001 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: S28R2: Suzuka 1988
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2019, 08:48:37 AM »
Made it to T9, was well inside Joe leaving plenty of room, got ploughed into. 

I think I remember this but thought it was Seanus. The car got squirrelly on exit when I put the power down and lost some traction and it moved slightly over to the right. Sorry but had every intention of giving room and there wasn't much I could do; 'ploughed into' doesn't really describe what happened IMO.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2019, 02:57:29 PM »
Really good night of racing, helped a lot by a lot of luck at the start of every race as I had no real contact and made several position from other drivers misfortunes. Also found it helpful that the Suzuka track is a very difficult place to pass, any pass take either a mistake from the leading car or a lot of bravery. Seeing drivers four wheel drifting around the outside making the pass was spectacular.

Race 3 joined Wally on the "Unforced Errors" list as the busy races started to take a toll on my concentration  ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 05:58:13 PM by Mael »

Offline bradc

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2019, 05:19:10 PM »
...Tricky one: Seanus just passed Brad, but then braked when very close to Brad who did move a little towards Seanus. Wheels touched and Seanus went off, but I’ll judge that to be a racing incident because Brad probably didn’t have time to react when Seanus braked so soon after passing....

I relied on you last night Wally to keep my cool, as that incident happened I was fit to burst, but told myself that someone was getting a penalty, and now I've been let down.
Came out of Spoon, Bradc was slowish and I gained fast, chose the right side which was almost a mistake as the gap closed, I think I may have taken some grass. Now I need to negotiate 130R possibly two abreast. Brake at some point only to see in 'car radar' that it seemed like Bradc was tucking in for the slipstream and that was never going to work.

The incident itself is trivial, similar stuff happens all the time, but I feel somewhat aggrieved by the following decision.

And it's all good bradc,  :) ;) :D We ended up in one or two battles through the rest of the night.

Seems I feel I need to reply. Trying to pass two wide on the approach of 130R is never going to work...yep we've had a lot of good clean battles in the past but on this instance from where I was sitting you just put yourself in a dangerous position and left me no racing room. I'm sure in most other mods the contact would never have happened, but these old cars move a lot and we just need to give them room. Heck I was caught up in a similar instance (and penalised) in race 2 because I didn't give racing room which resulted in contact because on corner entry there was a bloody wide gap which then disappeared because the car in front of me took a line I wasn't expecting them to take coming into the end of the spoon curve.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2019, 06:02:58 PM »
...Tricky one: Seanus just passed Brad, but then braked when very close to Brad who did move a little towards Seanus. Wheels touched and Seanus went off, but I’ll judge that to be a racing incident because Brad probably didn’t have time to react when Seanus braked so soon after passing....

I relied on you last night Wally to keep my cool, as that incident happened I was fit to burst, but told myself that someone was getting a penalty, and now I've been let down.
Came out of Spoon, Bradc was slowish and I gained fast, chose the right side which was almost a mistake as the gap closed, I think I may have taken some grass. Now I need to negotiate 130R possibly two abreast. Brake at some point only to see in 'car radar' that it seemed like Bradc was tucking in for the slipstream and that was never going to work.

The incident itself is trivial, similar stuff happens all the time, but I feel somewhat aggrieved by the following decision.

And it's all good bradc,  :) ;) :D We ended up in one or two battles through the rest of the night.

Sounds like if you were on the outside of someone going into 130R then you were on a hiding to nothing.

Got to accept the ruling and move on.  It sounds like almost everyone has been involved in an incident with these cars. Good to hear the racing was great for the rest of the time though.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2019, 07:21:09 PM »
Something similar happened to me.
The car behind got a better run through the last corner, so I held my line and gave them the inside.
On approach to T1, maybe they were ahead maybe not quite, but they moved left (to open up the corner) and braked leaving me no where to go.
Needless to say there was contact, but I'd hooked the car left into the sand trap and only tapped them lightly, but I lost 2 spots.

Pulling in behind/in front of someone right on the brake zone is always going to end in tears.
We all need to leave room, and these cars require just a bit more.

2+2=√16

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2019, 07:57:25 PM »
Something similar happened to me.
The car behind got a better run through the last corner, so I held my line and gave them the inside.
On approach to T1, maybe they were ahead maybe not quite, but they moved left (to open up the corner) and braked leaving me no where to go.
Needless to say there was contact, but I'd hooked the car left into the sand trap and only tapped them lightly, but I lost 2 spots.

Pulling in behind/in front of someone right on the brake zone is always going to end in tears.
We all need to leave room, and these cars require just a bit more.
I think that was me, sorry. I had excess slip stream speed to wash off before the turn and felt I had to brake a little earlier (maybe too much, again sorry). Also two wide into almost any turn, particularly the fast ones, will end in tears when people still use their normal brake marker, we've seen this time and time again, personally when someone goes up the inside of me I'll back out a bit to make sure I still keep racing. What I did was not optimal I know, assuming my opponent would do what I do in the same situation, which creates another problem in itself.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2019, 09:01:51 PM »

Like I said, it was a tricky one. I thought both drivers were each a bit at fault, so couldn't really assign a penalty to one or the other.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2019, 07:35:55 AM »
Could you just reiterate the bit you consider my Fault???        >:( >:( >:(
The only thing was that you had to brake almost as soon as you made the pass, which possibly caught Brad a little bit unawares, and shows that the pass was probably a fraction too late or close to the corner. The question I ask is "could Brad have avoided the contact?" and in this case I thought it was unlikely.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2019, 10:20:11 AM »
Seanus, there's no need to be that upset; if you cut in front of someone and start braking right away, there is a good chance there'll be tears.
It's in your best interest to avoid that, don't you agree?  (as well in everyone's best interest)

That's why I always keep my line as much as I can after a late overtake, until we're past the apex and sorted the order out.  It helps heaps to avoid this, and is only a tiny drawback - if you're truly faster.   
Plus on the inside line you're likely to be able to take the correct, full-exit of the corner; so you'll be ahead with minimal loss on entry.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2019, 10:57:21 AM »
That's why I always keep my line as much as I can after a late overtake, until we're past the apex and sorted the order out.
That's what I do for the same reasons.
Maybe it should be a rule, as it happened to me as well, so that's twice in one evening. :-\

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2019, 12:15:45 PM »
I think the thing to be taken into consideration here is that this all happened very quickly, and the question is still "could Brad have avoided the incident?". At the time, I thought not. But, like I've done before, I can put an overhead video up and we'll take a look at it.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2019, 12:37:39 PM »
It might be good as a learning process for us all Wally, obviously not to target Seanus or Brad.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2019, 12:53:45 PM »
I think the thing to be taken into consideration here is that this all happened very quickly, and the question is still "could Brad have avoided the incident?". At the time, I thought not. But, like I've done before, I can put an overhead video up and we'll take a look at it.
If Seanus is correct (I haven't seen the replay) and Brad did pull back in behind him entering a braking zone, then yes, Brad could've avoided it by maintaining his line, as Bird and myself have suggested. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2019, 01:07:35 PM »
Does anyone have the replay!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2019, 01:50:13 PM »
...is that this all happened very quickly...

Are you/is Brad using VR?
No, I'm not.

It might be good as a learning process for us all Wally, obviously not to target Seanus or Brad.
Yeah, these are often interesting learning scenarios for everyone. Absolutely, it's never about the people, it's always about the situation, which we all can (and do) find ourselves in.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal