Xtreme Gaming Network

Visibility of other cars to avoid incidents

Author Topic: Visibility of other cars to avoid incidents  (Read 9808 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Visibility of other cars to avoid incidents
« on: April 01, 2015, 07:25:35 AM »
There were a few incidents last night that may have been avoidable with better visibility of other cars and awareness of their positions on the track.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND using the in-game mini track map, which shows the cars around you. This is invaluable for track re-entry, so you can see who's coming and avoid running into them when reentering.

I also STRONGLY RECOMMEND using the Helicorsa app (http://www.xgn.com.au/index.php?topic=791.0) which shows you the cars around you in tight passing moves. The app disappears when no ones around you and only appears when there's cars close by. Like Gratulin, I have it directly beneath the virtual mirror. I also use the ”no pins” hack that you can find on the AC forums to make the app completely invisible and unobtrusive. This app allowed me to have clean, side by side racing in tight corners in many instances.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wobblyone

• Adrenalin is brown...
    • View Profile
Re: Visibility of other cars to avoid incidents
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 09:02:53 AM »
Great advice wally I too have the heli app in the same place works well..altho it can be difficult at times to concentrate on position holding the car online and not moving over on someone while trying to look where they are in relation to u etc...if in doubt roll off...can't beat triple mons for peripheral vision...if I had the room I'd run then still. But ur right when u get a feel for the game and track u get better in tight battles

Rolz

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 10:23:09 AM »
Cool!

Having 3 monitors helps but there are still some blind spots this will def help with!

I use http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/track-map-display-v1-13.9225/
Though I loaded it primarily for friends who wanted to see the whole track.

I like it because I can see who's in front, behind or a lap down.

Online Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 10:23:04 AM »
Just in case anyone else experiences it, the Helicorsa app will often give me graphics freeze ups as soon as it detects another car near me. I've found I can resolve this by disabling the app in the settings, going into a race, coming out, then re-enabling it again. Pretty strange and taken me weeks to figure out exactly what was causing me issues. Am going to raise it with the app dev.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 12:51:24 AM »
Ive given helicorsa a run the last couple days, havent had any issues with it, guys with issues maybe try to dl the latest version

Really quite handy even with triples I only see cars that have got the bumper a fair way up. With the app I can easier tell if someone is still there or when I am clear and can take my normal line.

Ive just stuck the app over my mirror so when I look in the mirror I also get the app, its a little arcadey but still limited vision in the mirrors and side mirrors being next to useless its well worth giving a run.

Its really not much different to the system used in some gt cars now.

[youtube]pxOl0b8K6FY[/youtube]

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 07:25:39 AM »
I also highly recommend changing your virtual mirror FOV from 10 to somewhere closer to 20.  This eliminates much of the blind spot when someone is at your rear quarter panel.

How to:

assettocorsa/system/cfg/assetto_corsa.ini

[MIRRORS]
Change FOV=10

Rolz

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 08:24:08 AM »
At this stage when I try to run Helicosa it kills my other car app add in (can't remember the name) but its the one that shows the full track and all the cars not like inbuilt one which only shows cars x meters in front and back of you.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 09:27:36 AM »
At this stage when I try to run Helicosa it kills my other car app add in (can't remember the name) but its the one that shows the full track and all the cars not like inbuilt one which only shows cars x meters in front and back of you.

I re-downloaded the full track map app and haven't had issues running both.  Maybe re-download.

Online Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 10:27:55 AM »
I asked the dev of Helicorsa about my freezing issue, and he said it's probably because I have the game installed on a second hard drive which is going to sleep, then whenever helicorsa detects a car it loads an image from the drive causing the freeze. Apparently he can't cache the images and has to load then from disk every time.

He suggested I disable the images, but instead I copied the app to my primary SSD and set up a symbolic link and seems to be fine now.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 12:37:03 PM »
I have ALL of AC on my SSD. Isn't that the point - to reduce load times?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Rolz

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 12:45:49 PM »

+1 My AC Steam content is on my 2nd SSD drive

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 12:55:36 PM »
Another simple solution would have been to disable the spin-down of the other drive.
It's a rather pointless exercise on most computers, anyway.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 02:57:31 PM »
I also highly recommend changing your virtual mirror FOV from 10 to somewhere closer to 20.  This eliminates much of the blind spot when someone is at your rear quarter panel.

How to:

assettocorsa/system/cfg/assetto_corsa.ini

[MIRRORS]
Change FOV=10
This seems to also change the real mirrors' FOV. Is this correct and if so then is there a way to change just the virtual mirror's FOV?

Online Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 03:03:33 PM »

I can't fit all of AC on my SSD :(

Another simple solution would have been to disable the spin-down of the other drive.
It's a rather pointless exercise on most computers, anyway.

I tried that first but still got the issue for some reason, maybe just a shitty disk.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal