Xtreme Gaming Network

Season 16 Poll

Poll

What car do you want to drive in season 16?

Carrera Cup - Porsche 911 GT3 Cup 2017
17 (40.5%)
Supercar Cup (Porsche, Nissan, Ferrari, RUF, McLaren, Lambo)
12 (28.6%)
Mazda MX5 Cup
13 (31%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Season 16 Poll  (Read 47966 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Season 16 Poll
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2017, 01:05:55 AM »
I voted for MX5.

Less car setup means the cars will be similar. Even run a fixed setup if possible, that way it's more about driver skill rather than the car.

Also, don't make the races too short. Sprints are ok, but sometimes there is not enough time for recovery if you're caught up in a collision.

From memory the mx5 and gt3 cup are still fairly limited setup cars. The porsche I ran a server a while back with fixed setups expecting closer racing on the pub server but it made very little difference. Opening the setup I only gained about 1 second at Spa in the car same as many others but still gaps from front to backnof pack were quite large. I do remember some past carrera cup series where it was pretty much arrive and drive.

The cars were all factory prepared and probably pressures and alignment was all that was allowed. Im fairly sure its not like this in the current Australian series but it could be worth a try even though I dont think it would change the drivers order around that much.

The supercars have very little setup to them the mx5 seemed to benefit most from it but it also needed the driver to find how to get the most out of this type of car.

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2017, 01:37:40 AM »
But we also risk the other-way-around problem. If I get involved in a crash in a 20 min sprint, even if I lose 2 minutes, I know in 20 minutes there is a race I want to be in. In a 1 hour race, while you are right you might make up for a 30 seconds problem, what do you do if you are lapped and last with 40 seconds to the second last? Yes, you might gain a position or two, but only because people crash, not because of good racing.

So both formats seem to have pros and cons---qhich I believe is why Wally tries to alternate a bit.

Neither sprint or enduro will suit everyone. I tend to dislike sprints personally for 2 reasons. 1. being that it seems to create desperation and carelessness because drivers are so badly wanting to get to the front by the first corner/first lap its too often than not causing major carnage.. and 2. Trying to claw your way back in a short period of time is more than just hard work for very little gain.  I make up more positions from people crashing and quitting than I do racing, this happens less in a longer race. 

I'm happy to compromise, I just don't want to see 2 enduros and 8 sprint races in a season. I think it should be 50/50.

--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2017, 12:07:02 PM »

It seems an unnecessary theory---slow cars give closer racing because the limit is not much faster that driving badly. This seems a much more parsimonious explanation.
parsimonious! I love it! This has bubbled up into my "most favourite words", thanks grat.  :-*
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2017, 05:46:48 PM »

Neither sprint or enduro will suit everyone. I tend to dislike sprints personally for 2 reasons. 1. being that it seems to create desperation and carelessness because drivers are so badly wanting to get to the front by the first corner/first lap its too often than not causing major carnage.. and 2. Trying to claw your way back in a short period of time is more than just hard work for very little gain.  I make up more positions from people crashing and quitting than I do racing, this happens less in a longer race. 

I'm happy to compromise, I just don't want to see 2 enduros and 8 sprint races in a season. I think it should be 50/50.

For me it makes no difference how many laps there are in a race or what lap I am on. I will try to gain any place I can but do it as clean as possible to avoid contact and damage my car or someone elses. Lap 1 I will be the same as the last lap, mistakes can and do happen so then I just battle on with the same mentality to get back as many spots as I can no matter the lap or position I am in. I still wont try a pass I dont think I can make cleanly no matter who its on be it for position or even lapping someone. I will do this until the end of the race and the final position really has no effect on how clean I will drive.

Those that regularly seem to be in incidents at the start of the race may need to also check their driving in a replay. Sure there are times when its 100% the other guy but most times you can do something to avoid contact and so avoid losing spots.

I think picking who you can race close and who you cant is important. Some guys just dont hit the lines as consistantly so if you give them minimal room in a passing move or in defence its likely they will run into you. It makes no difference if its lap 1 of 5, 25 of 100 or 10 of 10, any time you have contact its going to cost you and the other guy some time so best to try and avoid it from green flag to checkered.

Also I think an enduro is a race with long runs such as a full fuel stint or 2. Not with exaggerated multipliers that turn it into a bunch of short stints put together between forced pit stops just for the sake of having pitstops or to simulate a longer race in a shorter time frame.  :)

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2017, 06:01:55 PM »
Oh please not the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup.   I'm already attempting a season in them and they suck  :P

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2017, 06:05:46 PM »
TLDR

I find if I'm racing someone willing to give inside/outside line ALL THE WAY through the corner, I  have no issue, and it's fun racing.
If I race 'Lewis Hamilton', who takes the inside AND the outside on exit, there's generally trouble.
Vision is limited in SimRacing, we need to account for that. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2017, 07:16:36 PM »
TLDR

I find if I'm racing someone willing to give inside/outside line ALL THE WAY through the corner, I  have no issue, and it's fun racing.
If I race 'Lewis Hamilton', who takes the inside AND the outside on exit, there's generally trouble.
Vision is limited in SimRacing, we need to account for that. ;)
And I think I should apologize for a defense with locked front at t1 last night to you, indeed. I have an excuse: was my first attempt at late braking with the ballast---I learned in subsequent laps. It also made me feel a little better it almost happened to you with Wally a few laps earlier. But in any case: sorry and thanks for having taken the patient line and avoid any contact.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2017, 07:21:18 PM »
Really?
That actually happened?
I don't remember it but that's my default, try to get through the corner.
I race to the corner, get through it on the side I am, and race to the next corner. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2017, 07:51:35 PM »
Com'on there's three and a half Porsches in the Supercar cup. If all the Carrerra Cup guys could change their vote we can all be happy.
What he said. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2017, 11:38:26 AM »
It's actually 1200 wide, but obviously there is a column down the left that takes up part of that space....

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2017, 09:36:17 PM »
Why is this forum so narrow? That last picture is only 1022px wide and still doesn't fit!
I have 3840 pixels to display stuff with but this forum seems to only use 960 of 'em.
The smallest screen I have in the entire house is 1920 and the smallest I have ever owned was 1184.

It's okish in 1900x1200 on my second monitor, it is a tad narrow on this one @ 2160x1440.  I don't wanna see it in 4k.  I agree it should be 1080p res standard these days.
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2017, 12:49:26 AM »
Why is this forum so narrow? That last picture is only 1022px wide and still doesn't fit!
I have 3840 pixels to display stuff with but this forum seems to only use 960 of 'em.
The smallest screen I have in the entire house is 1920 and the smallest I have ever owned was 1184.

It's okish in 1900x1200 on my second monitor, it is a tad narrow on this one @ 2160x1440.  I don't wanna see it in 4k.  I agree it should be 1080p res standard these days.

Don't all web browsers allow you to zoom any page in to use higher res displays, in firefox and google chrome it even remembers the zoom level per page so you only ever have to do it once. I have 2560x1440 and 3180x2160 displays at home and never had issues with the page before. Its been a while since I saw it on these but even on my 2560x1440 mobile it can scale or zoom to fit quite easily so Ive never seen it as an issue.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2017, 07:20:49 AM »
I think this forum's software can be set to a % of browser width, and that would be ideal. The problem with zoom is the attached pictures still need to be scrolled if they are over about 960px wide.
I will take a look at the forum settings (some time).
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2017, 09:46:13 AM »
I think this forum's software can be set to a % of browser width, and that would be ideal. The problem with zoom is the attached pictures still need to be scrolled if they are over about 960px wide.
I will take a look at the forum settings (some time).

I had a quick look yesterday. There is one line of css for the wrapper width which when I adjusted with dev tools seemed fine for all the pages I tried.

/* over 1600 screens - newer desktops */
@media only screen and (min-width: 1200px) {
   #wrapper { width: 1200px; margin: auto; }
}

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2017, 06:56:49 PM »
I want a Baby Metal, Karate one! 8)

2+2=√16

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal