Xtreme Gaming Network

System crash/complete rebuild.

Author Topic: System crash/complete rebuild.  (Read 4718 times)

Online rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« on: October 20, 2017, 10:15:35 AM »
I purchased Acronis True Image , and now make a bootable clone of my hard drive on a regular basis. I only run a singe HDD which makes things easier, but I have found it invaluable. I just use USB external drives for the cloning. Only a small USB drive would be required for the SSD. It made upgrading to a new HDD a piece of cake. It also claims to be able to make a bootable clone of your HDD/SSD that will work on new hardware !!! this feature I have not yet tested.

The thought of starting a PC rebuild from scratch fills me with fear/dread/loathing !!! I feel for you Gratulin.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:28:21 AM by rooshooter »
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Phil.8

• Δ8
    • View Profile
Re: System crash/complete rebuild.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 10:35:11 AM »
Thanks,  I will look into this, i currently only have a few games and windows on my ssd, everything else goes on a spare hdd or on a cloud storage,   this could make an install nice and easy 
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 02:50:42 PM »
I've got a system drive - 1GB nvme ssd - cloned to my old SSD - and a separate big HDD for all the games & other crap installs.
Videos & backups sit on my mini server here (unraid - cheap & simple).

Problem is, the clone was made when I've migrated (I needed the  interim clone for the migration) so it's getting old...so the cloning process would have to be repeated, kinda regularly, for this approach to be 100%.

I've used the Paragon Drive Copy btw.   Due to the migration process I can call it tested. It's easy to use, too.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 03:31:06 PM »
I know it sounds horrible (and I was a bit annoyed) but it turned out to be fairly painless. Only thing I missed was backup of my Assetto Corsa folder in Documents. But my setups are no great loss. Having said that, I only had a couple of apps to install - AC, TS, 7-zip plus a wheel and pedal drivers. I didn’t even need to install graphics drivers.

PS. To reinstall Win 10 I simply went into Recovery option in Settings and selected the option to clean install. Then I walked away and let it do it's thing. Very easy.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 03:44:36 PM by Gratulin »

Online rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 08:12:30 AM »
Paragon Drive Copy sounds better and cheaper than Acronis (thanks Bird) plus has the capability to add an SSD to a HDD only system, it can separate out the Operating System from the HHD and put it on the SSD, very clever  ;D ;D
I have stuff going back 10 years on my system, which is why I am a bit paranoid about backups  :).
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 08:28:50 AM »
Yeah I'm the same, I haven't reinstalled for at least 5-6 years now, there are lots of things configured in all sorts of ways here that would be very tedious to replicate - I'm working on this pc.

But the other side of the coin is that I'm sure I've got heaps of things I don't actually need and probably quite some hidden garbage, too. 
I'd love to be able to do a clean reinstall but I simply can't afford the time.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 08:33:52 AM »
I use macrium reflect, fast disc images to a nas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal