Xtreme Gaming Network

Test run - Ferrari F2004 at Imola

Author Topic: Test run - Ferrari F2004 at Imola  (Read 28536 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: Test run - Ferrari F2004 at Imola
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2018, 08:53:27 AM »
Hadn't done any practise but was quite happy how I went between crashes. It was mostly hotlapping but I enjoyed it.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2018, 09:02:46 AM »
What sort of wing was kcender and Matthew using I wonder, I Find these very hard to know where to start with a setup
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2018, 09:07:13 AM »
Went with 3 stint meds and carried just enough fuel for each stint (ran out of fuel just after finish line), it worked out OK for me but I'm just not fast enough, mainly consistency, I had a couple of off's, heaps of cuts and I think I had about 3 10sec penalties. With the meds I was faster than the other guys with hard but it was really hard pass them. Caused an incident with Wally but redressed (sorry). Still a pretty cool race night, though I think the slower more forgiving cars are more my thing.

Offline RussG

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2018, 09:12:40 AM »
I like these longer races. I don't mind if it's not all door to door racing, but instead trying to bridge that gap or hold the gap to the car behind. Also strategy decisions will come into it at different circuits where you might be happy to let people get away while your playing the long game and trying to do one less pit stop.

I had too many offs for my liking last night, but can't complain with the outcome. I was watching tyre wear and gaps all through the race. Had some close racing with Matthew who was on a different strategy. Thought Wally was doing a one stopper and I was going to have to catch and pass him on track if I wanted the place, but then he made another stop.

Wally: regarding cuts that aren't cuts. I know that PLP has the green/red light to tell you if you are going to get a cut when you come back on but I usually don't see it. Maybe make it bigger or an option to make it bigger so you can't miss the red light. I don't even know where I got the cuts last night.
Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2018, 09:29:12 AM »
pretty sure my set is close to stock, ill post it soon. I think i had too much wing i noticed i had a lot of people close in on me on the straights unless it was the fuel load.
do you even motorsports?

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2018, 09:59:01 AM »
My set up was basically stock, only adjusted camber with the camber app, minor change to ratio, and dropped a little off the wings. Maybe a minor tweak to suspension, stiffer front softer rear but can't remember if I saved that. My gearing and aero felt I had a decent balance of top speed and corner grip but there were others that passed me easy in the slip stream. I also like to keep the wheel alignment as close to zero as possible with slight negative front and slight positive rear (pretty much with all cars, less drag and tyre wear). Oh and tyre pressure with Wally's app

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2018, 10:38:46 AM »
That's the set I ran was great in qual.
do you even motorsports?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2018, 10:39:23 AM »
I am not opening PLP cuts to discussion, because we've been round and round this umpteen times. Just stay on the track - it's that simple. Keep it on the black stuff. This is not the Dakkar Rally - you can't have a track without boundaries, and the track boundaries are the same for everyone.

PLP only detects when all 4 wheels are outside what is considered valid track surface. If you can't keep at least 1 wheel on the track, back off a little, clean up your line.

Here are some examples of what the app reports as cuts and what is safe at Imola.

SAFE on the left, CUT on the right, at the same track location. Look at how far you can be outside the white lines and still be considered safe.

We all know that AC has different boundaries at different tracks, particularly in terms of runoff areas. The game is what it is. You have plenty of time to learn where the limits are.

What I will consider is increasing the number of warnings before you get a penalty, due to the length of the race and the number of laps.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 10:47:10 AM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2018, 10:55:33 AM »
That's the set I ran was great in qual.

Thanks,  I ran way to little wing, it was hard to be consistent, Had to be spot on for a decent lap which was hard to replicate to often,  I was 12f and 14R
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2018, 10:59:03 AM »
...Wally: regarding cuts that aren't cuts...
... Jack booted persuasion....

Never has my signature and the above quote been so appropriate.
(no not the second part, that's a joke)

Despite your protestations it still stands that the current PLP config leads to dissent, whereas my config I would hope would lead to nigh on all members being happy AND still serving all that PLP was designed for in the first place.

I don't understand your aversion to track limits. A track is defined by it's limits, it's boundaries. How can you define a track and then not expect people to stay on it? That doesn't even make sense to me.

I thought about the "number of cuts at a given corner" idea, and that has some merits, but it's fairly complicated. I'd have to keep a number of warnings per corner - that's doable - but then how do you know how many warnings you've had at each corner? You'd never take in the number of warnings flashing up each time you drove through a corner, especially at the speed of the F2004. I think the best compromise is just to increase the number of warnings due to the longer race.

The worst offender went outside of track limits 24 times! Matthew only went outside once.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2018, 11:00:59 AM »
...Wally: regarding cuts that aren't cuts...
... Jack booted persuasion....

Never has my signature and the above quote been so appropriate.
(no not the second part, that's a joke)

Despite your protestations it still stands that the current PLP config leads to dissent, whereas my config I would hope would lead to nigh on all members being happy AND still serving all that PLP was designed for in the first place.

It only leads to dissent because people never like getting busted, for anything. People who manage to stay within the track don't complain. People who get caught speeding cry "revenue raising!"; people who don't speed don't care.

I don't understand your aversion to track limits. A track is defined by it's limits, it's boundaries. How can you define a track and then not expect people to stay on it? That doesn't even make sense to me.

I thought about the "number of cuts at a given corner" idea, and that has some merits, but it's fairly complicated. I'd have to keep a number of warnings per corner - that's doable - but then how do you know how many warnings you've had at each corner? You'd never take in the number of warnings flashing up each time you drove through a corner, especially at the speed of the F2004. I think the best compromise is just to increase the number of warnings due to the longer race.

The worst offender went outside of track limits 24 times! Matthew only went outside once.

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2018, 11:19:54 AM »
Strange, had plenty of excursions into the green, but no penalty

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2018, 11:33:49 AM »
Strange, had plenty of excursions into the green, but no penalty
It also depends on your speed - i.e. below a certain speed is no cut, if you are off track for more than a certain time it's no cut, if you slow down while off track, it's no cut.

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2018, 11:42:29 AM »
Yeah i had no issues with cut tracks even in qually whrere i threw caution to the wind, to be honest if your getting cut tracks at imola on the exits your driving the track wrong. Imola you have to be very technically correct it rewards the slow in fast out style, the more you attack it the slower you go and your exits will be super tight and you will prob trigger a cut track on the astro turf. For instance the chicanes in s1 i just drop it in nice and smooth for the first half of the chicane hugging the inside so the 2nd phase is nice and straight and i can get on the power early and have plenty of room on the exits, the moment your exit feels cramped you have over cooked it.

Phil i probs have too much wing, need to meet somewhere in the middle
do you even motorsports?

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2018, 12:10:44 PM »
Do you have the results to see where we end up after the penalties. Majority of my cuts were pushing the limits to gain time, some though, were mistakes from taking the wrong line or when in battle with another car.
I've found in this sim racing that it can be disheartening when you give it all you got, get what seems to be a good time, then only to have an alien beat you by another couple of seconds. So you (I) push harder and make more mistakes lol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal