Xtreme Gaming Network

Driving Manual

Author Topic: Driving Manual  (Read 15822 times)

Rolz

Driving Manual
« on: June 19, 2014, 07:57:13 PM »
Out of interest, those racing the BMW challenge... who else is racing H shift with clutch?

Just wondering that's all...  ;D

I enjoy the heel-toe to blip revs up on downshift before a corner, makes me feel I'm in my old clunker... not that I've tried to do it for real!!  :o

Still occasionally, I bork it and compression lockup... usually at an important part of the track and around I slide  :P

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Driving Manual
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 08:08:20 PM »
I use shifter and clutch for all manual cars, makes it much more fun for me even if it makes me make more mistakes.

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 09:10:02 PM »
If the option is available I always use the H-Shifter and clutch. I think it adds to realism and also adds another layer of complexity. I know last race I lost a position down the straight because I missed a gear.

I have pro features turned on and only use the auto blip because I don't know how to do it myself, not sure if that's considered cheating. I have mechanical damage, tyres and fuel turned on.

One thing I don't do is use the race line option, it's OK during practice but during races I don't think you should have the race line enabled.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 08:16:27 AM »
I use h shifter and clutch as well, for the immersion and fun value, as well as the risk of stuffing up a gear change or selecting the wrong gear.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 09:33:05 AM »
I use h shifter and clutch as well, for the immersion and fun value, as well as the risk of stuffing up a gear change or selecting the wrong gear.
6 gears has left me in all sorts coming into T1 at Monza, not using any aids makes it more challenging for me but mostly I find it very rewarding.

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 09:40:38 AM »
Yeah same for me here I can't slow the car down fast enough and keep over running the first chicane. I need to work on brake balance I think.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 10:33:39 AM »

Yeah same for me here I can't slow the car down fast enough and keep over running the first chicane. I need to work on brake balance I think.
I played with the AC brake gamma curve to find the best feel for the braking threshold. I have the GTEYE spring on my G27 and have got it set so the increase in spring pressure as I press the brake pedal is now lined up with the brake gamma curve. AC is the first sim I have been truly comfortable with feeling the brake threshold. It could also be the new PC but I think AC brake gamma curve is the setting to get right. The other night I even "out-broke" Mopz into one corner on a test run - he immediately out-broke me on the next corner - but I think I took him by surprise that I could now control the heavy braking better than previously :)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 01:20:44 PM »
Still occasionally, I bork it and compression lockup... usually at an important part of the track and around I slide  :P

Thats a tricky part especially in the e30 and more so in the group a with very limited gearing. You cant setup the gearing to be ideal cor some corners so the last shift may be at the critical part late into the entry. Very easy to lock the rears and around it goes.

Thats why last race even though I was in the dtm my 2nd gear was a little shorter then ideal into every 2nd gear corner so I needed to shift very late also clutch and a big blip to make sure I dont stuff it up. In the races I only stuffed in neutral once and I think that was the onky gear I missed which for me was a good effort.  ;)

Tried some laps at Monza and struggling for gearing there in the group A, late braking into 1 to make a pass will take precise shifting. I tried it twice in the 312t race and stuffed it into neutral both times, but the e30 I dont have as many shifting issues as that car for some reason. Maybe I was just shifting a fraction early, in the group A im experimenting with skipping a few gears into 1 as its a lot of shifts in quite a short time.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 01:41:26 PM »
What hardware are you guys using? G27 H shifter? I'm too much of a hack to use it yet. Had a mess around with it though and want to use one eventually, find the G27 shifter a bit of a toyish feel.
And the peddles are a bit close together for my ugg  boots. But know I can mod them.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 01:47:39 PM »
I agree the brake gamma is an important setting for brake feel. Even though I don't have any kind of brake mod, increasing the gamma for non linear braking gives a good feel.

I use a thrust master shifter. Heavy, metal construction that feels really solid and feels unbreakable.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 02:19:23 PM »
I've the fanatec H-shifter, which I've mounted on the wheel & calibrated now.  It's a first step, hey!  :)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 02:43:29 PM »
What hardware are you guys using? G27 H shifter? I'm too much of a hack to use it yet. Had a mess around with it though and want to use one eventually, find the G27 shifter a bit of a toyish feel.
And the peddles are a bit close together for my ugg  boots. But know I can mod them.

Are you going to mod the Ugg Boots  :)

I use g25, shifter though is quite a toy doesnt feel too different to the shifter in my r33 so that must be a toy too which is quite likely. I dont wear shoes when simming, pedals are toys and dont feel anything with shoes on, but I guess I have been doing both sim and real world long enough that I dont notice the differences as much and just adjust to it.

Thinking of upgrading my wheel and pedals but the cost of non toy grade stuff is still a bit silly I could spend that money on my real car instead.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 03:06:07 PM »

Are you going to mod the Ugg Boots  :)

You really are good at this Marty.
 Of cause. On my budget I can only afford to mod my ugg boots. I have heard if if gaffa tape them up tight enough I can get 1-2 horse power.

One day i will reward myself and burn more RL money and get some Fanatec gear. Still long way off choosing a shifter. But I cant justify getting anything for a while.. just got a G27. and being so slow atm.  ::)

I have been known to spend $500+ on one model train. i'm not rich. I'm just pretty stupid with money.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 03:08:36 PM by Dick Forrest »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 03:48:40 PM »
I have been known to spend $500+ on one model train. i'm not rich. I'm just pretty stupid with money.

Id rather be rich in toys then money, money itself is pretty useless its only fun when spending it. Still I have some limits when the brain kicks in and tells me a Bodnar wheel is a bit too much price to pay for a sim wheel. Maybe I need some more beer then go online shopping, I have a friend that is famous for drunk holiday shopping late nite online. I end up joining in with a sober booking the next day sometimes but amazing how creative you can be with spending if you let the beer brain make the decision.

I think his girlfriend is now installing a breathelizer switch to his router, spoil sport I say. He can always find another girlfriend on a trip which may be here main concern so fair enough.  :D

Sorry way off topic now but in terms of PC shifters I really cant see how a H shifter will ever quite replicate the real thing as it needs some sort of link to the game to give dynamic grinding, linked to a real clutch pedal and in sync with the sim car. I think thats going a bit far and even with the g25 shifter I find it much more enjoyable then using paddles in cars that can use it. There comes a point where you need to realize its just a sim and will never fully replicate the real world experience.

For the amount of money you could spend on sim gear it would be cheaper to do a full season of ute racing or something if you went for a full professional grade motion platform and as close to real world controllers. I did have a go in a couple of impressive full sims and was blown away but I get quite a good amount of fun from my basic home sim setup.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 04:11:03 PM »
Before I go motion platform I'd investigate the pneumatic seat I read about (for professional cockpits).
It has bags placed around it and in the seat belts that can inflate/deflate in ms.
When you brake, the seat belt bags inflate giving a similar pressure to what's felt when you really brake a car.
Acceleration and lateral forces are via the many seat bags.
It give the tactile response the same as motion gives, without flinging the body around in unnatural ways (which dicks about with the inner ear).

But that's dreamin'.
Next step is Occulus Rift. 8)

2+2=√16

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal