Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 4: Monza race chat

Author Topic: Round 4: Monza race chat  (Read 60378 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Round 4: Monza race chat
« on: August 13, 2014, 02:54:17 PM »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Re: Round 4: Monza race chat
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 04:12:49 PM »
Can we get through turn 1 :)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 04:23:47 PM »
Can we get through turn 1 :)
Monza's notorious! Might need a single-file policy.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 04:41:45 PM »
It's a shame we cant do a sighting lap, I think it's a must in open wheelers.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 05:23:28 PM »
We could do a rolling start - just follow the pole sitter around for the first lap with no overtaking until the start finish line. Turn 1 would probably still be mayhem....

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 05:49:23 PM »
We could do a rolling start - just follow the pole sitter around for the first lap with no overtaking until the start finish line. Turn 1 would probably still be mayhem....

I dont think thats needed, just a little caution into t1 and if your side by side hold the inside or outside line until you know your clear. T1 will be an issue all race as will the end of every straight as there will be cars side by side all over the track thanks to the draft. Would be a good idea to have some short practice races here and I will have my server setup that way a bit so people can jump on and get used to racing others but even on the practice server you can always get together and race a little if on teamspeak.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 06:30:32 PM »
Yeah a rolling start won't be needed. Just be aware that from past experience that traffic will NEARLY STOP the first time through the chicane, especially further back in the field. Leave lots of room, be prepared for the car in front to brake suddenly.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 07:24:46 PM »
How about a red flag? Say more than 4 cars get tangled up at the start, put up a vote for a restart?
don't they do restarts in the real world if there is a big crash on the track?
  Just putting it out there.

Besides.. why ram on the 1st lap when i could ram faster and harder on the second??
It's CramDick Racing... not 'Give-em-all-the-room-they-need-Dick Racing..
 ;D
You know i'm messing with ya's!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 07:33:13 PM »
I'm not sure what happens to the grid order on a session restart. It might get randomised.

Offline Dave O

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 07:54:49 PM »
I was fairly well back in the grid for both races last night, so had a good view of what was going on
into turns 1 2 & 3 and I must say I was very impressed with how we all handled it. I reckon we're
getting better every race as we get used to larger grids.  ;)
NEVER TOO OLD TO RACE ... being competitive can be a PROBLEM though.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 08:39:19 PM »
I'm not sure what happens to the grid order on a session restart. It might get randomised.

Race restart puts cars in the grid spot the car is listed in the entry.ini I am pretty sure. Same without anyone not registering a time so on my server if there are 20 cars in the ini on restarts cars will end up all over the place on a smaller field. Im not sure what happens if someone has car 1 slot 1 but doesnt register a time yet, quite likely this makes them start from the pits but I have seen cars get pole simply by not running a lap even if others have. I havent taken heaps of notice of it but have seen me start in places I didnt qualify in quite a bit so will try and actually take note of it if it is a bug.

It would be good if cars were placed simply in the next empty slot if they dont set a time, but that may be too simple a solution for KS atm.  ;D

I was fairly well back in the grid for both races last night, so had a good view of what was going on
into turns 1 2 & 3 and I must say I was very impressed with how we all handled it. I reckon we're
getting better every race as we get used to larger grids.  ;)

Starts were pretty good much better then most starts on my server when it was public, especially when one guy had no interest in the corner only taking me out 3 starts in a row.  ???

Rolz

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 08:40:04 PM »
I think we have all matured quite a bit and if the front runners control their breaking it could probably work out alright...

Still... exciting always  ;D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 08:44:48 PM »
Quite surprised as I have ran a couple quick races on my server in this combo and so far not a single first race incident, all you need to do is not crash into the car ahead or beside. Simple in theory but no need to come in there all hot and locked up first lap as you likely wont even make the corner, just tuck in for a tow down the straight and then crash into them at the next chicane.  ;D

I did knock nearly a second of my PB with a bit more time there as the lap was far from perfect, same setup on hards was quite skatey in the early laps though and will be very sketchy with low grip and heavy fuel I think.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 01:09:22 PM »
I got a 'checksum mismatch. Kicked' on the practice server?  Is that the plan?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 01:23:14 PM »
I got a 'checksum mismatch. Kicked' on the practice server?  Is that the plan?

Yea all part of the plan, only way we can beat you without Ballast. But seriously I get the odd mismatch first attempt on a server and get booted then next attempt it works.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal