Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 4: Monza race chat

Author Topic: Round 4: Monza race chat  (Read 60398 times)

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
Re: Round 4: Monza race chat
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 05:28:45 PM »
I got a 'checksum mismatch. Kicked' on the practice server?  Is that the plan?

Yea all part of the plan, only way we can beat you without Ballast. But seriously I get the odd mismatch first attempt on a server and get booted then next attempt it works.

My checksums are still refusing to match no mater how many attempts. I'm not sure if I've seen anyone on there tbh.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 05:48:21 PM »
I'll check it out.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 05:56:15 PM »
All good now. Some of the track data on the server (used to check checksums) hadn't been updated.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 11:25:38 AM »
I've been experimenting with tire wear. I've set the practice server to 3x tire wear, and I'll leave it this way in the race, just to spice things up a bit. With the hard tires, they were still only at 98% after 13 laps, so they're very long wearing anyway.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 12:13:02 PM »
I've been experimenting with tire wear. I've set the practice server to 3x tire wear, and I'll leave it this way in the race, just to spice things up a bit. With the hard tires, they were still only at 98% after 13 laps, so they're very long wearing anyway.

So the softs will be good just for the outlap, and mediums will get around to t1 of the flying lap  ;) Normal wear I found softs were good for 4 laps and mediums 4 1/2 I dont think wear makes much difference to the hards as you say. It pretty much just means the other 2 tyre options are even more useless then they are.

I would personally prefer regular wear then some people could try race on the softer tyres but find out they are shot by lap 5/6  ;D I dont think it will make much of a difference forcing all to use hards now. Except maybe hards will be needed for qualy or people do very slow outlaps that will just be a hazard for everyone else on a hotlap in qualy.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 12:16:34 PM »
Yeah, I just tried a hot lap and my tyres were down to 96% before the end of the first proper lap!  It pretty much makes the softs and the mediums redundant even for qualifying.

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 01:18:48 PM »
Maybe do a slower out lap and then a quicker hot lap, I reckon I will still get 2 hot laps out of softs. Going to give it a run tonight, should make the race far more interesting on 3X, looking forward to it. Good idea.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 04:11:04 PM »
Yeah, hards will be the go for sure, even for qualifying. I want the races to get a little more "interesting" in the later stages. Even at 98% you don't really notice a heap of difference. I might even see if 4x is more noticeable.

Offline cramjet

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 04:16:24 PM »
At first I thought it would be a bad idea, but you're right - by the end of the race the field has spread out a fair amount often making it less interesting. Having the option to blast through the pack (while burning up your rubber) or holding back and making a move later on provides some realism too :D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 04:25:42 PM »
Exactly, having to conserve your rubber is whole new strategic element.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 05:18:40 PM »
Here is my telemetry for a recent lap Wally - 1.51.1
Thought you may want to do one of those awesome telemetry analysis again :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3n9m8bg8yneodm/Tatuus%20Monza.nkt

Also, I'm fairly settled on my setup now if anyone wants to try.  If it's a bit tailey then try decreasing the rear ARB to 0.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 06:59:33 PM »
Here is my telemetry for a recent lap Wally - 1.51.1
Thought you may want to do one of those awesome telemetry analysis again :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3n9m8bg8yneodm/Tatuus%20Monza.nkt

Also, I'm fairly settled on my setup now if anyone wants to try.  If it's a bit tailey then try decreasing the rear ARB to 0.

Once again, Guybrush is green; I am red.

This is the first chicane, where I immediately lose 0.6 seconds. Guybrush brakes 10m later and stays on the throttle for 25m longer. My brake pressure is up and down like a yoyo as I modulate the brake, while Guybrush manages to hold a nice steady 75%. I take the chicane in 1st, Guybrush takes it in 2nd. I give a squirt of full throttle mid chicane; Guybrush gives 60%. Then Guybrush is back on full throttle 20m before me. Guybrush actually had a bit of oversteer exiting the chicane. You can see in the throttle trace where he had to back off the throttle and give it some opposite steering. He could have got a better exit, so he could have been even faster. Yay.
  I lost about 0.3 in the second chicane. Again, Guybrush gets off the brake earlier entering the chicane, and gets onto full throttle earlier, both in the middle part of the chicane and on exit, and again, he takes it in a higher gear than me – I take it in 2nd, he takes it in 3rd. I carry a little too much speed into the entry (because I’m braking less, and end up understeering on entry). The biggest speed difference is because he gets on the throttle earlier than me, both mid-chicane and on exit. Again, GB is a little oversteery on exit.

The first Lesmo, GB takes it flat, whereas I brake a bit on entry. We both take it in 4th. As usual GB brakes later and gets on the throttle earlier.

He has a little bit of oversteer leaving the second Lesmo.

Last chicane (Ascari), again, GB brakes much later and gets on full throttle much earlier.

You can already guess the story at Parabolica… GB brakes later and powers on earlier.

If I can see anything, GB, it's that your setup may be a little oversteery. You could get a little bit quicker if you can dial out some of that oversteer.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 07:34:06 PM »
What's your lap there, Wally?
I've managed a 53.3 after a few laps with a modded guy setup (raised it by 2cm again against sudden death, added a bit of fuel and straightened the rear toe-out, it was bugging me a bit, hehe - oh and set the brake a bit towards the rear.)  But all in all I think I could potentially do better with this set.  Still, I dunno where I'm effing up.  Here's my telemetry if you want to analyse me :)

[Old attachment deleted by admin to free up space]

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2014, 07:49:41 PM »

I'll take a look at your telemetry a little later.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 08:30:54 PM »
What's your lap there, Wally?
I've managed a 53.3 after a few laps with a modded guy setup (raised it by 2cm again against sudden death, added a bit of fuel and straightened the rear toe-out, it was bugging me a bit, hehe - oh and set the brake a bit towards the rear.)  But all in all I think I could potentially do better with this set.  Still, I dunno where I'm effing up.  Here's my telemetry if you want to analyse me :)
Actually, this is the wrong file. It's a TC file instead of an NKT file.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal