Xtreme Gaming Network

S4R4: Monza Results and Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S4R4: Monza Results and Post-Race Chat  (Read 14122 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S4R4: Monza Results and Post-Race Chat
« on: December 09, 2014, 10:54:26 PM »
Race Results and Charts
Season Standings

Congratulations to Guybrush on the clean sweep, despite his Lotus Evora GX.

Round Points
Guybrush Threepwood   72
Krahl   70
M8R   66
Marty   62
Matthew111   61
Freezer   59
RPM   51
Bacchulum   48
Wally   46
GWyar   44
Gratulin   40
Dave O   38
StanDaam   33
Imperious   33
EdWood   31
Schmittez   29
Ysu   23
Vipergod   22
Grubbet   21
Tom   20
Rob   14
Flattop   5

Season Podium
1. Guybrush Threepwood, 204
2. Mathew111, 197
3. Ysu, 171

Achilles Heels (Marty and Guybrush) take the team lead back from TKO Racing (Me and Ysu), 370 to 331.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: S4R4: Monza Results and Post-Race Chat
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 11:20:31 PM »
Qualified 8th with a reasonable time for R1:
Got a ripper jump and grabbed 3 spots on the first lap.  I managed an on the limit pass on Mat to grab one more spot and came home in 4th which was a great result.
R2  Albeit with a quicker qualifying time I was 8th again.  On each of the cancelled starts I again got excellent starts and grabbed a few spots but with the rolling start that advantage was soon gone.  Spent the first handful of laps chasing Wally in the Merc.  He would disappear on the straights but the P4/5 was heaps quicker in the bends but I couldn't utilise it as the Merc needed to brake earlier and I was nearly rear ending it.  In the end Wally clipped a kerb and was gone.  I had run mediums for the first 13 laps then pitted for softs for the final 10.  Not much more happened after that, car remained consistent to the end but the gaps around me were to big to improve and I got home 6th.

Apologies to YSU, in making a pass at the end of the back straight I squeezed in front to make the triple chicane but had to immediately brake behind Wally which saw him tap my rear.  Thought I had enough room with the dodgy mirrors but the replay tells otherwise.

Offline Schmittez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 11:24:53 PM »
R1 - Was quite an interesting start

[youtube]-qhq73blyGQ[/youtube]
(what is the right youtube link so the play will appear)
(Bird: the correct thing is the part after the "?v="  until the first "&" - that is the video's ID in youtube's system.  In this case it's -qhq73blyGQ.  I've edited it for you.)
the rest was pretty standard.

R2 - I would of liked to do the racing start because from the first 2 we did I seem to get the jump on a couple people but oh well, after that just settled in and kept in on the track, my fuel usage at the start of the race said a full tank was going to get me 13.7 laps so I thought I would do something different and pit early unlike the last few races where I pit as late as possible but, thinking about it now I think I might of put enough fuel for 9.5 laps when I should of taken enough for 10.5 laps. After the pit stop I was chancing Bacchulum with Dave O on my tale running in 9th or 10th and realized I didnt have enough fuel with about 7 laps to go, and thought I'm just going to push it and hope I can get a big enough gap to Dave O that I can just bring it home slowly but with about 4 laps to go I realized that wasn't going to work Mini Apps said I was about 1L short so I cut back changing early and hoped I could maintain a decent gap but still fuel save but, that didnt work so I went to even more fuel saver mode and came around the last corner on the second last lap and Wally was right behind after Dave O made a little mistake and I was going super slow to save fuel and he just ran right past me down the straight, I was pretty sure he was going to brake earlier than me and when he did it just went now what and ended up on the grass on the out side and spun and ended up in 13 or 14th and just went max fuel saver but still wasn't enough and only made it to the straight before the last corner before I ran out of Fuel but one very kind person who I cant remember there name pushed me across the line.

TL;DR: ran different pit strategy, didnt fuel save when should of, ran out of fuel before finish.

Was hoping for 2 top 10 finishes tonight but R1 didn't go so well from the start and I would most probably have gotten 8th in the second race if I had enough fuel to push to the end.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 09:25:39 AM by Bird »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 11:28:04 PM »
Race 1 was a disaster. I got punted at the front of a chain collision into T1 which sent me off track. Then next lap the car in front warped backwards several car lengths straight into me and sent me off track again. Next lap I had an off by myself. From there, it was just frustrating hotlapping by myself, only passing some guys who had mishaps to finish 17th.

Race 2 was much more fun. I decided to go hards with no tyre change, and pitted on lap 16 for a splash and dash. I had some good racing with RPM, Freezer (pestering my rear bumper), GWyar, Krahl, Bachulum, Dave O and Schmittez along the way, to finish 8th.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 11:31:25 PM »
Ended up pretty happy with the night after having low expectations due to lack of pace. Race results of 11 and 12 were good considering I qualified essentially last for both races. In qual 1 only Tom was behind me because he didn't set a time! Thanks to Krahl posting his setup for the Merc I improved my pace in Race 2 but only managed to set my fastest lap on lap 21!?

However, I had some really good battles along the way. It was really good, clean racing and thoroughly enjoyable. I didn't actually win any of those battles but great fun. I think my Merc was difficult to overtake since I was braking early, wallowing through the corners and then powering down the straights...

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 11:31:41 PM »
R1 - Was quite an interesting start

the rest was pretty standard.

Yeah, that's interesting alright!

I saw in my replay Schmittez that I didn't leave you much room after getting a slipstream tow past you on the straight. I ducked back in to make the turn, thinking I had enough room, but then only just managed to pull the Merc boat up in time.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 11:32:35 PM »
Here is something I noticed in race 1 start.

From this.

To this.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:24:29 AM by marty »

Offline Schmittez

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 11:52:16 PM »
My view went from this

To this

I would make the images smaller but I dont know how.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 09:00:51 AM »
Race 1 was fairly straight forward from memory.  Not much to report.  Got a bit of a lead and just tried to take it easy and not go off.

The first half of Race 2 was quite fun.  Had Krahl on my tail from the get-go in his Mercedes.  I managed to defend a few overtakes thanks to some better brakes on the GX despite the lack of power, however we came together in a racing incident at Parabolica and I spun off, but Krahl did the right thing and waited which was good.  Anyway he was making me hit my marks for the first few laps.

After the off I fell behind Matthew and M8R and spent the next few laps catching the back of M8R.  Got right up on his bumper through Parabolica and managed to hang on a little down the start straight.  I was a car or so behind M8R's Mercedes going into the chicane and shot one up the inside - M8R was already over to the right and so I had only just a car width of room to make the move stick and somehow it did stick.  Good racing by M8R - he could have turned in and we would have both collided but instead he left enough room for us not to hit.  That was probably the highlight for me.

From there I pitted and came out in front of Matthew who was leading after Krahl and I came together, and then I just tried to control the pace and not spin.

A good night.  Although I was a little disappointed in my qualifying as my PB is a 1.48.4 and I think I only got to the high 1.48's.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 09:07:21 AM »
Apologies to YSU, in making a pass at the end of the back straight I squeezed in front to make the triple chicane but had to immediately brake behind Wally which saw him tap my rear.  Thought I had enough room with the dodgy mirrors but the replay tells otherwise.
Very nice of you, and no problems.
The reason I got out of it that bad; I still wasn't used to you guys braking that early, and so what happened caught me out completely.

It didn't make my night much worse ;D

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 10:24:27 AM »

A good night.  Although I was a little disappointed in my qualifying as my PB is a 1.48.4 and I think I only got to the high 1.48's.

Yeah my best is a 48.5 and I couldnt get near that last night
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 10:31:57 AM »
My races I didnt get in a good qualy lap was also well off the PB, on the gtc you only get one lap on the softs and both my last lap runs I messed the entry into t1 costing me most of my time. Not sure why I messed them so bad as I never lost that much time during the race into that corner. I hate the softs and probably didnt quite get them up to it by that turn and was asking a bit much of them.

Race 1 I had a shocker of a start, went from 4th to about 8th before t1. Went through side by side with Bird there and I didnt feel a touch but we made slight contact so sorry bird. In the replay I see as I tried to turn tight I went over the kerb a bit and it put me back more in the middle of the track. Then in the second chicane again I was side by side with Bird but me on the outside. I left enough room and so did Bird but he had contact with someone else sneaking in behind me that he didnt see. Then at the end of the lap as I was braking into 1 with Edwood and Bird close behind, they made contact and both zoomed by me on either side. Somehow I got through without hitting either car then the rest of the race was less eventfull,  I just tried to chase down the few ahead. In the end finished 5th so didnt even gain back the spots I lost off the line, my tall first gear strategy didnt work here.

Race 2 again not a great qually with the same silly error by me. The starts where quite chaotic and my poor getaways werent helping but each time I was just hanging on to the right line letting the field by. The rolling start was to my advantage but I got distracted following Tom who shot off and so I also passed M8R early. He reminded me I couldnt pass and as I got off the gas the lead pack all took off and I was left a bjt further back then id like.

Then lap 2 I had caught Tom and got a good exit out of the first chicane thanks to my gearing. Was side by side all the way into the next chicane on his inside, maybe he didnt see me but I saw him turning in early and not giving room. I slowed as much as possible to avoid contact but he went for the left kerb and I was already there so we hit and he spun. I really had nowhere to go but unfortunatly the replay doesnt record this early in the race.

From there I just chased down M8R for the rest of the stint, I saw Guybrush come back in between us and as he battled M8R it let me get a little closer. I got fairly close by lap 12 and we both pitted, took me a few more seconds then id like to select my fuel. I expected to lose lots of time to him there but was surprised to pull out of the pits alongside him. I gave him room at pit exit then started chasing him through t1 but got tagged from behind which spun me and lost quite a bit of time. It was Matthew and he did the right thing and waited for me to rejoin.

Not sure what happened to him to end up behind me as I thought he was leading before I pitted. He must have had an issue in the pit the lap before. The rest of the race I was just trying to stay ahead of Matthew. Wally had got ahead of me after the spin and it didnt look like I had the pace to get him but luckily he hadnt pitted yet.

Once Wally pitted up to the end of the race I just tried to run quick consistant laps to keep Matthew behind who was a real threat, I managed to just stay ahead with him getting a few drafts on me but I outbraked him into 1 to stay ahead. By the end I pulled a bit of a gap but got a little held up lapping a car on my last lap which nearly brought him back to me. Luckily I stayed ahead and finished 4th which was ok but had I not had the spin I would have had a battle with M8R and Krahl for a podium.

Looking at the times not sure what happened to Krahl as I was surprised he lost so much time in the pit. I think maybe his strategy was backwards going the short stint first means needing much more fuel and a stopping longer then had he done it the other way around possibly.

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 11:00:10 AM »
Sorry I didn't make it last night but Pacific Pines on the Gold Coast had a black out and even this morning the internet hadn't been restored.

Sounds like I missed a good race - cya's all next week.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 11:17:22 AM »
Sorry I didn't make it last night but Pacific Pines on the Gold Coast had a black out and even this morning the internet hadn't been restored.

Sounds like I missed a good race - cya's all next week.

Beautiful one day perfect the next  ;D just like that awesome weather Sydney had last week for the v8's.

Those northerners bag Melbournes weather, at least we can still use phones and electricity when the weather turns to crap here. If our systems were so crappy the power and net would never be on.  ;)

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 02:33:07 PM »
Well I was happy with 14th possie and a 51.xx but i had atrocious lag on my client!! and caused (unseen, uncontrolled) havoc I believe, sorry.
Happy not to be lapped, only just!
Accidentally pressed the 'sleep' button on the keyboard instead of ESC at the end of race 1... by the time I re-entered it was time to go and have a glass of red!
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal