Xtreme Gaming Network

Dec 30 fun race: Nissan Primera BTCC at Silverstone

Author Topic: Dec 30 fun race: Nissan Primera BTCC at Silverstone  (Read 18745 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Dec 30 fun race: Nissan Primera BTCC at Silverstone
« on: December 14, 2014, 12:40:59 PM »
Three sprints in the 1999 BTCC Nissan Primera at the three Silverstone variants.

Race 1: National, 15 laps
Race 2: International, 13 laps
Race 3: Full, 7 laps

CAR DOWNLOAD (includes sound fix and a collection of skins).

Original car thread is here.

The Nissan blitzed the 1999 field to romp home with the drivers championship and the manufacturer's championship, in their last year of competing in the BTCC.

I'll be making qualifying very short (after a reasonable practice time), to only allow enough time for about 2 hot laps, to mix the grid up a bit.

No sign up required - I'll make it a passworded server with no fixed GUIDs.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 09:44:11 AM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
Re: Dec 30 fun race: Nissan Primera BTCC at Silverstone
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 09:33:52 AM »
^ I agree.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 10:40:29 AM »
To ensure everyone runs the same version and physics of any mod car Wally you can get the car server checksum working on mod cars.

All thats needed is to copy over the car folder into the server content/cars. You onky need the data folder so delete all other files and inside the data folder any file that is 0kb must be deleted for the checksum to work properly.

This way it means people dont end up with different versions of a mod as quite often physics are changed quite a bit with each build.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 11:22:23 AM »
Good plan.

The Nissan feels OK, but I can lose the rear quite easily under brakes. Needs a bit of setup fiddling.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 11:24:48 AM »
Great idea @Wally ++
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 10:31:05 AM »
Good plan.

The Nissan feels OK, but I can lose the rear quite easily under brakes. Needs a bit of setup fiddling.

I havent driven it very much but FWD cars do tend to get lift off overstear and so keeping a bit of gas into the corner can help with that. It is the case with the Abarth 500 but when I tried this mod a while back it seemed a bit too planted in comparison.

Its probably changed a bit since but being too quick on brakes and off throttle will shift the weight forward quickly causong the rear to let go. Giving it power should instantly take it from oversteer to understeer so playing with throttle is pretty important in any FWD car that can lose rear on entry.

A well done FWD can actually be very good practice dealing with this as its much easier to deal with then a rwd mid engine car that also is prone to lift off oversteer. In those you need to use steering to catch the rear but fwd you can play with the throttle off oversteer and throttle on understeer to balance it through corners. For a very tight corner you can get the rear sliding on entry then gradualy add gas to straighten it up again.

Rather then my jibberish you can watch this cool video I just found that explains all the technique needed for a fwd car.

[youtube]4ZN1aP1o_m8[/youtube]

Rolz

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 11:34:53 AM »
It's been a fun little car to strap around...
It got me to use my left foot for breaking and it's really helped control sliding and keeping corner speed up...

Since then I've moved the practice to the GT3 cars and other flappy paddel cars and improved my PB's quite a bit...

Can't wait to race it tonight with whomever is online  ;D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 12:11:22 PM »
These sort of cars should give some good close racing, I think its always good to try all types of cars you will normally pick something up that may help in another car and also get another look at the track. I still right foot brake most of the time even in gt cars but do some corners with the left foot in some cars if needed.

Gets a bit hectic if driving a manual car using clutch and braking with either foot at time with some heel and toe.  ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 12:11:46 PM »
Ha, I didn't even realise it was front wheel drive. That explains a lot.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 12:13:35 PM »
These sort of cars should give some good close racing, I think its always good to try all types of cars you will normally pick something up that may help in another car and also get another look at the track. I still right foot brake most of the time even in gt cars but do some corners with the left foot in some cars if needed.

Gets a bit hectic if driving a manual car using clutch and braking with either foot at time with some heel and toe.  ;)
It's a bit like Dancing With The Stars under my desk sometimes.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 02:04:50 PM »
Ha, I didn't even realise it was front wheel drive. That explains a lot.

Yea if you dont realise its FWD then you will have more trouble with the lift off over steer, a FWD just floor it and its become under-steer and you just need to find a balance point. If you try and catch it the same way you would a RWD car then your just going to loop it all day long.
 ;D

I did just run a couple laps and found it to fairly planted but setup changes didnt make a huge amount of difference. The softs will cook fronts for me fairly quick but I think it should be a fun nite with some close racing. Didn't try many laps or other tyres yet and also the default setup was about 5mm too low to pass in pit one at Silverstone National. Need to either raise front height or stiffen front a bit, I tried stiffening but made it a bit too understeery. The rear wing defaults at 10 which is max and reducing this to 5 I could barely tell any difference in speed or balance.

Rolz

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 03:19:45 PM »
It's a bit like Dancing With The Stars under my desk sometimes.

Haha... Same, but probably less graceful

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 06:12:18 PM »
FYI, grip will just be at 100% all the time, just to keep it simple while we're getting familiar with a new car.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 10:46:35 PM »
Here are some race results.

I had good fun in these cars, although I never really got the car stable under braking, with the rear always really loose. I did shift the brake bias a little more forwards in race 3, and that helped a bit. I had some good close racing, and some nice opposite lock slide catches. Race 1 was a bit of a write off though - I looped the car under brakes a couple of times, and tagged the rear of Flattop's car after taking ages to catch up to him. Sorry about that, but at least you were able to keep going.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 10:54:29 PM »
was lots of fun, thanks wally and even better I got through every race without disconnecting for first time in ages.  I read that rsr can cause it so i removed it and so far so good, fingers crossed
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal