Xtreme Gaming Network

S27R3: Modena (Fast) Race Chat

Author Topic: S27R3: Modena (Fast) Race Chat  (Read 35216 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: S27R3: Modena (Fast) Race Chat
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2019, 11:12:22 AM »
And congratulations to Mael - the only driver who didn't rack up a damage fee  8)

Is that because he was nowhere near anyone else? At the back maybe?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2019, 01:00:22 PM »
And congratulations to Mael - the only driver who didn't rack up a damage fee  8)

Is that because he was nowhere near anyone else? At the back maybe?

Definitely not, I was chasing him a lot.
He's just a lucky bugger, huh? ;)

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2019, 01:49:43 PM »
Rob missed the apex and drove into the side of Killagorilla spinning him - $300 penalty.

Sorry Killa, I miss judged the corner and missed the apex, and couldn't hold a tight enough line. Apologies mate.

That's ok Rob...shit happens. Lap one was ruined anyway...and I made it to the very end of the field again ;-)
Bueller, that was me at the start of race 2. There is blame on my side as well. I was hoping the both of us make it through the middle there. I had a better start than you, knew I either gotta start slow (which get's me in trouble with the boys behind me) or just try to pass this little Fiat in front of me. I tried to stay as close as possible to the right, but it's easy to misjudge...so you get a sorry anyway.
So race two was just bad result-wise, but fun to drive if you forget about points and the standings.
Had a good start in race 3, but couldn't manage keeping a couple of the Abarth's behind me.
So there was contact with Freezer and Dave O which were similar. It seemed you guys were just able to go different lines through turns. Sorry to turn you around, but I don't really see myself at fault, as there was enough space for you at the outside and I just couldn't do these turns as you did (based on my judgement at the time of contact...however, I can be wrong...didn't watch the replay).

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2019, 04:02:32 PM »

Lol I am going to have that comment framed.  ;D

A lot of it was due to the people I was racing, could have taken AB out but he was aware enough to do an undercut when I misjudged my braking distance. Ablearcher also made two very good overtakes while the Bird did not land on me  ;D

PS I assume Joe would only be able to afford a pushbike for the next race after those wins?

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2019, 04:05:43 PM »
Geez at this race I'm never going to be able to afford that M1  :'(  Only made $100 from the previous race.

Offline RussG

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2019, 04:43:55 PM »
I just got banged around all night. Thought I was in a demolition derby. Got knocked back early every race, made up places with a number of tough clean passes only to get knocked out again.
Very frustrating, but I had plenty of action to keep me busy.

Personally not a fan of the Rent a Car system, but happy if others like it.
Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2019, 04:45:40 PM »
Geez at this race I'm never going to be able to afford that M1  :'(  Only made $100 from the previous race.
Coming 5th in the championship, you don't need the M1!

FYI, the Alfa 4C is in reach of some now.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline bradc

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2019, 06:02:55 PM »
Interesting night. I didn’t like this track when I first tried it and my opinion hasn’t changed but then neither has my inability to know how to set up a car..... The very cold temperatures really suited me as driving fast on cold tyres seem to be my strength. This meant I was fairly competitive for the greater part of the journey, my race 1 start was brilliant as I maned to move from last to 5th weaving my way around the spinning chaos of the first couple of corners until Phil passed me and I then drove a daily consistent race.

Race 2 being a little warmer, I expiremented by increasing the tyre pressures and I found myself in a duel with Wally for several laps. I noticed I could outbreak him at turn 1 using a different racing line, so I had a crack after following for a couple of laps and stuffed up. Sadly there was contact and being the passing car I have to put my hand up and wear the contact as my mistake. Wally I fully understand your frustration and sadly a couple of mid field battle pack also bashed him around whilst he was trying to recover so I think were we both 2nd to dead last by the time Wally recovered and we got motoring again. Later in the race I was turned around by killer at the 3rd last corner and then finished several seconds behind him.

Race 3 with the weather heating up I tried increasing the tyre pressures again, however this didn’t seem to make much difference. In the early stages on cold tyres I was able to keep pace moving from 14th to 9th in the opening 3 laps and then things didn’t really progress. I spent a lot of the time going side by side with Wally (again) but with the previous races events hanging in my mind I was ultra conservative in attempting any pass and was never able to make one. I was able to close under brakes but only close enough to either punt him or do a bump and run, which isn’t my style. Later in the race bulller caught up to me and whilst I tried to put up a fight I really didn’t have much to hold him off.

As others have commented, this rent a racer series at times seems to have brought out the best and worst in some. Whilst I can understand people’s frustration in following lap after lap and then eventually bumping their way past, I can’t also forget to mention that there is not much of a financial penalty for making such contact. I know Wally does his best, and I don’t mean this comment as a Wally bashing expertise, but perhaps there needs to be a greater level of scrutiny over people’s actions across the entire race and not just the opening lap......

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2019, 06:30:41 PM »
Brad, I think you can still report any incident (mostly where you think you came out second best) to Wally, and he'll be the judge of it - but don't expect him to watch all races from everyone's perspective every time.

The contacts I think are due to most of us not used to mixed car racing too much.   Early on in GTL we had plenty of these, until everyone has learned how to cope with very different cars.

Offline ab156

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2019, 06:50:54 PM »
Brad, I think you can still report any incident (mostly where you think you came out second best) to Wally, and he'll be the judge of it - but don't expect him to watch all races from everyone's perspective every time.

The contacts I think are due to most of us not used to mixed car racing too much.   Early on in GTL we had plenty of these, until everyone has learned how to cope with very different cars.

I think we are all a bit above that, these things become tedious and eventually collapse once formal protests and reviews are put in place.  The pack will take care of itself  8)

The one thing I would remind people of is the general gentleman's expectation that if you take someone out you will redress.  My moto "if in doubt, redress".

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2019, 07:15:32 PM »

I think we are all a bit above that, these things become tedious and eventually collapse once formal protests and reviews are put in place.  The pack will take care of itself  8)

I personally don't like it to be self-managed; it's always better to have an impartial judge of such things, IMO.   But of course it's not mandatory to report anything.
Actually, Wally may no longer prefer this system anyway. :)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2019, 07:37:29 PM »
We've been round this many times... it's far too time consuming to judge every incident. My preference is that people are mature enough to realise that they stuffed up and try to learn from the mistake and try to improve their driving next time, for the increased enjoyment of everyone.

This was a tight track (the tightest and slowest of the season - average speed was only 105 kph), with 16 mixed cars on it. There's always going to be some bump and grind in this situation.

As AB said, a little redress goes a long way. But I emphasise to only do this when it's safe, without causing further mishaps by unexpected slow downs. Talking on Discord also makes your intentions clear.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dave O

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2019, 08:09:55 PM »
Judging by all the post race comments here I think most of us had some great door to door racing during
this round.  ;D I had my ups & downs in all 3 races, but gee I enjoyed it  ;D best racing I've had for a while  ;D
At no stage did I feel I was just hotlapping. Don't have name tags in vr so can't easily tell who you're racing
but had some great battles. I think the secret here is to respect the person your racing and give each other room.
Had a ball in race 3 trying to round up the Nissans  :) Had a great battle with Wally last 4 laps of race 3 his only
real defence was to take my lines and keep me at bay which he did, well done Wally. I think this round showed
what Wally is trying to achieve with this format very well.  ;) Cheers all. Dave O.
NEVER TOO OLD TO RACE ... being competitive can be a PROBLEM though.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2019, 09:09:40 PM »
Just wanted to throw something out there!  Having acquired the Abarth last night I thought I owned it, however
is see today that I am back to the three bottom cars as a result of achieving damage etc.
Would it be beneficial to keep your car? 
Keep a better car and earn less cash, or only choose to buy a modest car earning more cash with the aim of
holding back your cash for later in the season!  Bit of strategy!
Thoughts...

Offline RussG

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2019, 09:51:37 PM »
I respectfully disagree with the judgements but won't dwell on it.
I must agree with ab about R1. It's very clear.
Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal