Xtreme Gaming Network

Getting a good start

Author Topic: Getting a good start  (Read 13756 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Getting a good start
« on: July 29, 2015, 11:13:42 AM »
Any tips on a good start?

People always seem to shoot past me so I must be doing something wrong. I've played around with low revs, high revs, trying not to wheel spin, changing up sooner etc but still usually get overtaken by several people at every start. I'm assuming using h-shifter for cars that have it is quicker off the line?

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a good start
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 11:15:54 AM »
I'm assuming using h-shifter for cars that have it is quicker off the line?

yep
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Rolz

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 11:51:29 AM »
Depending on the car obviously so you'll have to play with that before a real race

For me general rule of thumb is feather the throttle on the take off... for me the wheels are always spinning, but not valve bounce spin (summernats fist pump out of window spin) if you know what I mean...  ;D

Then you can hear (perhaps feel through wheel when it starts to grip) and then pop into 2nd.

If I'm in the same car as everyone else I usually pick up 2 places.

I have spent too much time in the drag section of AC  :P

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 12:25:08 PM »

Didnt know that was a sub section of AC playin in drag, I hear some play in the nude and having heard last nite how GB celebrates his victory best he doesnt live stream his races. I considered trying to find a gof to fit in here showing a gb victory champagne spraying but dont think I will like where that will end up.

Regarding starts Im more a Webber then Alonso but mostly due to too many pub server races where I dont want a good start. Not much good happens in these if you get to t1 quicker then others.  ;D

A h-shifter car will be quicker with one and a couple practice runs trying to find the best throttle position off the line will help. With the shifter I just put it into 1st and hold the clutch, keep throttle position at a level that worked ok in the last start or if it didnt I will try more or less throttle on the next start. Once the lights go green or less red  ;D I either dump the clutch or ease off it slowly if trying to limit wheel spin. Then depending on the car work the rest of the gears at an rpm for upshifts that works best.

I find it more fun on a taller geared car to try and find the sweetspot off the line where you really need to balance wheelspin to avoid bogging down or lighting up the rears fully. Some cars its a bit easy to just full throttle drop clut h then ease off a little to reduce wheelspin. Then take a second bite of the throttle and floor it again.

Rolz

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 12:41:39 PM »
Didnt know that was a sub section of AC playin in drag

That got the laugh "that everyone looks at you" out of me here at work :P

Offline gawaterman

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 01:30:19 PM »

With the shifter I just put it into 1st and hold the clutch,

How do you do that in AC , cant put it into 1st till the lights go green, or is the h-shifter different?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:32:01 PM by gawaterman »

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 01:50:08 PM »

With the shifter I just put it into 1st and hold the clutch,

How do you do that in AC , cant put it into 1st till the lights go green, or is the h-shifter different?

Am assuming as the h-shifter will be in first, as soon as the lights go out the game registers it straight away, as apposed to paddle shifting manually

Rolz

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 02:06:11 PM »
H-Shift doesn't register as 1st gear until it's Go Go Go  time - just make sure it's in 1st ready for it and drop that clutch baby  :P

For paddle only cars you have to change into first (up paddle, duh) right on when it's Go Go Go time...

Well that's how I do it  ;D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 02:55:26 PM »
Yea its only for manual cars using the shifter, you can put it in whatever gear you want and just hold the clutch until the lights go. For paddles you just need to wait for the lights and then paddle it up and go.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 08:43:56 PM »
Throttle to the floor and drop the clutch/bang into first when the lights go out.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 10:01:54 PM »

Throttle to the floor and drop the clutch/bang into first when the lights go out.
I always knew it was finesse that made you fast GB :D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 11:56:01 PM »

I normally hold it about redline and then squeeze the power on to avoid wheelspin. Sometimes it works really well; sometimes I bog down.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 06:22:21 AM »
Yeah, it's easier for me to start the wheels spinning and then modulate the throttle straight away, making sure not to hit the rev limiter.

Rolz

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 07:25:09 AM »
Yeah, it's easier for me to start the wheels spinning and then modulate the throttle straight away, making sure not to hit the rev limiter.

ditto

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 08:34:43 AM »
H-Shift doesn't register as 1st gear until it's Go Go Go  time - just make sure it's in 1st ready for it and drop that clutch baby  :P

The neural impulses take longer to reach your leg compared to your hands, so this should really be a disadvantage for h-shifters, rather than an advantage :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal