Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 1: Silverstone Race Chat

Author Topic: Round 1: Silverstone Race Chat  (Read 82817 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Round 1: Silverstone Race Chat
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »
Just can't get any consistency going on this combo... I've built my race set on hards so going to softs is nqr for qual. PB is a 2.04 so still plenty of time to find. Tyres especially the fronts  cool after about 5 laps or so so need to push harder and harder which causes the errors to appear and then lap times go out the door. Need to find that consistency and go at 95% for the races.

I found out I was running my fronts way too low a pressure, this is why I needed so much front wing as there wasnt much front grip. Upping the front pressures meant I had to either reduce frot wing or add some to the rear. With soft tyres I couldnt get any pace because once the fronts got up to pressure then it would get very tail happy. But the lower pressure made it more understeery so I needed more front wing, worked ok on hard tyres as it got them up to temp better but on softs and mediums the rear end would just go away, I tried a few laps and improved my PB with a not great lap, still only about .6 slower on hards vs softs on same fuel load but I think there is much more to gain on softs now that I can do a few corners 1 gear faster.

Even hards on higher pressure is better and you just need to find another way to get heat into them via setup rather then lowering pressures too much as I struggled to get them above 20psi fully loaded. They lose quite a bit of grip under 20 so if they get that low its just going to understeer unless you have so much front wing that it can turn but they will still be way slower mid corner on too low a pressure.

Offline insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2014, 03:44:46 PM »
Hmm my fronts are on about 10-11 psi, so I better raise them, but now I don;t want to play with my setup anymore haha. I'm running nearly max of 17deg wing on the front. It turns good, bit loose at the start but then starts understeering as the laps progress. I think I'm just going to adapt and drive conservative to avoid any incidents and spins.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2014, 03:58:36 PM »
Just can't get any consistency going on this combo... I've built my race set on hards so going to softs is nqr for qual. PB is a 2.04 so still plenty of time to find. Tyres especially the fronts  cool after about 5 laps or so so need to push harder and harder which causes the errors to appear and then lap times go out the door. Need to find that consistency and go at 95% for the races.

I found out I was running my fronts way too low a pressure, this is why I needed so much front wing as there wasnt much front grip. Upping the front pressures meant I had to either reduce frot wing or add some to the rear. With soft tyres I couldnt get any pace because once the fronts got up to pressure then it would get very tail happy. But the lower pressure made it more understeery so I needed more front wing, worked ok on hard tyres as it got them up to temp better but on softs and mediums the rear end would just go away, I tried a few laps and improved my PB with a not great lap, still only about .6 slower on hards vs softs on same fuel load but I think there is much more to gain on softs now that I can do a few corners 1 gear faster.

Even hards on higher pressure is better and you just need to find another way to get heat into them via setup rather then lowering pressures too much as I struggled to get them above 20psi fully loaded. They lose quite a bit of grip under 20 so if they get that low its just going to understeer unless you have so much front wing that it can turn but they will still be way slower mid corner on too low a pressure.

Oh man, don't you just hate the compromise juggling act? It's a testament to the physics that all of these things come into play and are noticeable.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2014, 04:06:34 PM »
My approach so far has been 10 practise laps for a 2:04.... decided to skip the 100+ laps of practise to gain a couple of more seconds...... happy with that  ;D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2014, 04:14:27 PM »
Hmm my fronts are on about 10-11 psi, so I better raise them, but now I don;t want to play with my setup anymore haha. I'm running nearly max of 17deg wing on the front. It turns good, bit loose at the start but then starts understeering as the laps progress. I think I'm just going to adapt and drive conservative to avoid any incidents and spins.

Id say well worth trying for a couple laps with soft fronts around 12 I needed a 4 click gap front to rear aero but going to 15 front pressures I only need a 2 click gap for the same sort of aero balance. The higher pressures give me much better low speed cornering as t3 I was really losing speed on entry vs Guybrush.  Soft tyres t4 soft pressure I needed to go into 3rd but higher pressure and less front wing I can now take it in 4th.

Also the last chicane complex the first left hander with low pressure fronts I needed 2nd gear there with higher pressures I can do it in 3rd and gain about a second a lap just on those corners. Also I am hitting the limiter now quite a bit so will maybe look at upping my gearing a little but I like it everywhere will see how it goes just upping a click at the high end.

I tried hard tyres and could get pretty good pace out of it just didnt try any longer stints to see if they get too cold at the end up front, maybe just need to drive it a bit harder on turn in to keep the temps up. Car feels much more fun to drive and I can see how its possible to do the low 2:00 times with a good lap now.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2014, 06:11:04 PM »
I think my setups have been 15 front and a bit lower on the rear all along, but I might try a change during practice.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2014, 06:16:33 PM »
I think my setups have been 15 front and a bit lower on the rear all along, but I might try a change during practice.

I find 15 front pretty good, my rears re getting a bit warm so I will look into it on practice too for both a qualy and race set.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2014, 06:18:49 PM »
Server's up!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline crimespree

• View Profile
Round 1: Silverstone Race Chat
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2014, 10:19:38 PM »
Thanks for a great eventing all. Sorry imperious i dropped to 1st accidentally on luffield even after I deliberately tried to not cut you off and my car spun into you :(
I was doing well in the the second race thinking I could mix it with the big boys until I dropped a wheel in copse and spin, luckily didn't collect anyone else.  Had an awesome time trying to catch Rob. I kept thinking I'll have him soon but he kept dropping more time off his lap as did I, so I never really got the chance!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:32:42 PM by crimespree »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2014, 11:25:12 PM »
Race Results
Season Standings
Season Statistics

Congratulations to Guybrush and Bacchulum on the race wins and me on the round win.

Round Points
Wally   44
Rob   42
Ysu   42
Marty   40
Bacchulum   39
Glen73   36
Crimespree   33
Freezer   31
Rolz   28
cramjet   27
Guybrush Threepwood   26
Dick Forrest   25
Vipergod   23
Dave O   21
BJSRacer   20
Gratulin   18
Imperious   17
Insomniac   16
Grubbet   14
GWyar   14
Phil   10

Team TKO takes the early team lead, with consistent results from me and Ysu.

Bad luck Guybrush on the disconnect while leading. It would have been a clean sweep for you otherwise and it would have been close between Team TKO and Achilles Heels.

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2014, 07:39:40 AM »
Cool racing last night, a pair of 7's, bad luck to my teamie having a computer crash in race 2, now thinking of buying the ferrari add on wheel for the t500.....

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2014, 08:26:43 AM »
The racing was great from where I was. Nice and close, with some good, clean passes by me (pulled off a nice pass on BJ through Becketts) or others on me (Marty). I passed a few guys who had offs. I managed to put in some good laps without drama to come home 3rd in both races.

The replays look great with the big, close fields and the liveries. I can't wait for ballast to tighten the field up too, and give even more close racing.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2014, 08:33:45 AM »
Agreed, very enjoyable evening!

I've been in a couple of tangles, but it was all good hard racing, and it's all in the name of competitive fun.

I just want to express my good feelings towards everyone here, you guys are a great bunch, love you all!

P.s. Wally-bot, do you sleep sometimes?  :) 
Thanks for all the hard work, mate.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2014, 08:37:54 AM »
LOL, sleep is a waste of time. Besides, there are no babies in my house.

Offline BJSRacer

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2014, 08:38:59 AM »
The racing was great from where I was. Nice and close, with some good, clean passes by me (pulled off a nice pass on BJ through Becketts) or others on me (Marty). I passed a few guys who had offs. I managed to put in some good laps without drama to come home 3rd in both races.

The replays look great with the big, close fields and the liveries. I can't wait for ballast to tighten the field up too, and give even more close racing.

Nice Wally, but that's when Bird distracted me....... and you pounced. Well played Sirs.  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal