Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 1: Silverstone Race Chat

Author Topic: Round 1: Silverstone Race Chat  (Read 83440 times)

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Round 1: Silverstone Race Chat
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2014, 09:25:47 AM »
Agreed, very enjoyable evening!

I've been in a couple of tangles, but it was all good hard racing, and it's all in the name of competitive fun.

I just want to express my good feelings towards everyone here, you guys are a great bunch, love you all!

P.s. Wally-bot, do you sleep sometimes?  :) 
Thanks for all the hard work, mate.

Are you saying you love Dick?

Ok no more Dick jokes from me, my mind is twisted....

Agree, great bunch of blokes to race with.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 09:27:18 AM by Glen73 »

Offline cramjet

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2014, 09:40:49 AM »
First race I quali'd well and took it easy in the race to bring it home 6th (I think) - I found just by putting some light pressure people make more mistakes so gained a few spots by waiting for errors. I don't feel confident enough to take any big dives or anything yet!

Second race I failed to set a qualifier as I was trying to wait for the track to grip up. A small off ruined my hot lap and sent me to 21 or so on the grid. It gets a bit messier up that end! I'm not upset or anything but Grubbet did enter the track after skipping a short section ( the left and then two right handers coming onto main straight) and went straight into me, causing us both to end up in the sand trap and ~15 sec behind the those in front.

I just want to stress how important a safe re-entry is! Whenever I go off the track I will wait and wait until it's safe, losing loads of places, but not wrecking myself or others. In the end I ran out of fuel so not a huge deal - just wanted to point that out!

Rolz

« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2014, 10:11:31 AM »
top racing last night...

Race 1 - Phil got me by not moving at the start... tried to dodge around him when I realised he was just sitting there but too late...
I had two poor form shunts on people in the first race, was Dick in one and GWyar(?) on the 2nd last corner. I am sorry!! Tried to make sure they got back out in front of me before I started to race again. I think lack of actual race experience probably didn't give me the know how to drive with lots of people on the track.

Race 2 - was better... I got clipped after starting 10 and going back to 16th I think... then fought back... boy that was fun... then had a lucky weave between two cars (replay looked awesome, how do I convert to YouTube to share all that lucky arse driving I pulled out?) finished 8th...

Lots of fun and thanks for a top night...   ;D

Offline insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2014, 10:40:27 AM »
Great fun but also very frustrating night for me lol

I knew I didn't have the same pace as the front runners so hoped for the best for qual. Ended up near the back and got caught in the mess that was Phil standing still on the grid. Was pretty pissed and so made the most of catching up to people and spinning lots as my head wasn't clear. WIll need to watch the replay to see where I went wrong on that one.

2nd qual was very bad, ended up 2nd last on the grid and thought OK let's not get caught up in anything this time so took it extra cautious and somehow managed to miss most of the action except for taking myself out and spinning trying to avoid a pile up. I put my head down and started catching people and actually making passes or passing as they made mistakes. Had some good times trying to pass Freezer but that low df setup worked too well on the straights.

Sorry to Dave O for the bumps,, didn't realise how fast I was gaining in the corners, I think the time I took you out half the field went through, sorry mate! I redressed later on but it was unfortunately already too late. One thing that sucks using chase cam is the lack of judgment of the front of the car and no mirrors since the virtual one is very deceiving and out of proportion etc...

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2014, 10:51:44 AM »
I think everyone should do themselves a favour (or more so those around them) and put the in-game track-map on.  You can see exactly where people are around you so you know when to re-enter the track, or wait when coming out of the pits, etc.

My races were fun and my focus was to try to build up my speed over the course of each race.  It was interesting allowing for the grip levels increasing as I did some math at the start to know on which lap how hard I could push in each corner, rather than finding and overstepping the "line" and risk losing it during the race.  I used practice to see how far I could push the car in the corners at different grip levels, hence all the offs :)

Unfortunately my wifi dropped out on lap 8 of the second race, but thems the breaks.  I had fun re-joining and watching the race unfold from Marty's car - especially the final lap where he almost had Bacchulum.  There was some great racing with both cars going around Copse and Stowe side-by-side.

Well done to all.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2014, 12:01:37 PM »
Was good fun last night I didn't get the points I wanted but had more fun fighting through the field both races. Qualified 2nd in the first race but got put into pitlane, I waited at the exit for the field to come through but the last few guys were a long way off the rest so I got out with about 4 behind me still.

Last minute setup change with an extra click of 6th gear didn't help, thought it would get me more pace in a draft but with my downforce setup I pretty much went backwards once I hit 6th compared to other cars. Still made a few passes had to do it the hard way as I was down speed at the end of the straights. Got into the top 10 in a few laps then following a couple guys down the back straight getting a double draft off them with nowhere to go. Then they made contact into the corner and I nearly made the gap between the spinning cars but just got clipped. As I got going again I found myself behind freezer, he was clearly running a much lower downforce setup and though he was quite slow in corners had a rocket ship down the straights.

I spent quite a few laps trying to pass got beside a couple times down the straight then my gearing and his aero he pulled ahead again. I tried a desperate move into the last chicane but as I saw him turning in to the normal apex I locked my wheels and hit him. I then stopped to let him take the position back and unfortunately someone else going left bumped into me as well. Continued on and chased freezer for a few more laps trying all sorts of ways to get by. I then finaly got a good run on him through the "wiggly bits" and got inside into the next corner. He actually disappeared for a split second and this is even seen in my replay. So I stayed more inside and when he re appeared I was clear. Chased a couple more down but ended up just inside the 10.

Race 2 qualy I got out just in time for one flying lap and lost it in the last chicane but luckily still got 3rd as Bird just got me. Unfortunately lap 1 into copse Bird ran very wide on exit so I took the inside line into the wiggly bits, he didn't see me and so turned in and we both spun. Got back to about 10th or 11th then just battled through again. I made some good passes on Wally and Bird only to run wide at the last corner and give both spots back.

I saw Guybrush getting disconnected unfortunately but maybe he will sort out his connection now  ;) so I just tried to chase everyone down to score some points for the team. Had another good battle with Wally as he really picked up the pace. Finally got him as he made an error in the wiggly bits. I then had a couple laps to try catch Bacchulum for the win. Put in a couple good laps but when I caught him he drove a good defensive line and I couldn't quite make the move. Needed another 100m of straight as I had a run out of the last corner but couldn't get it done was about .04 short.

I actually enjoy fighting through the pack more then leading, I don't think could have matched Guybrush for pace anyway so it may have been lonely racing had I had 2 good starts from my grid spots. Thanks all for the bumps as it made the racing more fun after but your paying the damages Bird as I got some scratches on my paint.  :)

Congrats to the winners and everyone drove quite well that I saw and thanks for drafting to make passing much more possible then it was a few weeks ago.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 04:18:03 PM by marty »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2014, 02:14:43 PM »
Yeah, sorry Marty about turning in on you.  I'll forward your claims to the financial department ;)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2014, 05:42:20 PM »
Race 1 was scrappy for me. :(
Side by side with Freezer through Abbey, didn't work.
Missing my brake marker by 20m and hitting Marty at Club, didn't work.
All my passing attempts at The Loop, didn't work.

Race 2 was more advantageous. :D
I took advantage of a row 2 start to miss the shenanigans at Abbey.
I took advantage of Ysu and Marty's coming together at Maggots.
I took advantage of Guybrush going Disco Stu on us.
I took advantage of the defensive line when Marty caught me with one lap to go.

A great night racing, overall, and I never thought I'd get a win without ballast. :o :o

2+2=√16

Offline BJSRacer

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2014, 06:59:10 PM »
The racing was great from where I was. Nice and close, with some good, clean passes by me (pulled off a nice pass on BJ through Becketts) or others on me (Marty). I passed a few guys who had offs. I managed to put in some good laps without drama to come home 3rd in both races.

The replays look great with the big, close fields and the liveries. I can't wait for ballast to tighten the field up too, and give even more close racing.

Nice Wally, but that's when Bird distracted me....... and you pounced. Well played Sirs.  ;)

Wow.... not even a nibble....  :o

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2014, 07:13:43 PM »
The racing was great from where I was. Nice and close, with some good, clean passes by me (pulled off a nice pass on BJ through Becketts) or others on me (Marty). I passed a few guys who had offs. I managed to put in some good laps without drama to come home 3rd in both races.

The replays look great with the big, close fields and the liveries. I can't wait for ballast to tighten the field up too, and give even more close racing.

Nice Wally, but that's when Bird distracted me....... and you pounced. Well played Sirs.  ;)

Wow.... not even a nibble....  :o

They're super serious series now............. took me ten posts today to get a LOL out of someone..........

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2014, 07:18:25 PM »
Bj have you got the replay of race one file? Would like to see something from the first lap.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2014, 07:37:09 PM »
Shhhh BJ, I'm doing damper frequency calculations in my head.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 30, 2014, 09:29:39 PM »
Springs have frequencies, dampers have ratios. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 30, 2014, 10:10:21 PM »
Now see what you've done BJ, you've screwed me up.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2014, 10:56:33 PM »
Bj have you got the replay of race one file? Would like to see something from the first lap.

Im uploading both races now and will post a link for anyone that forgot to save theirs.

Ok Here are the full compressed replay files of both races.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8n861kna1mez4tu/Race+1+XGN+Silverstone+Tatuus.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/download/h3m50iv6360n8i2/Race+2+XGN+Silverstone+Tatuus.rar

In race one if you see my pass on Freezer at Stowe corner you will see him do an amazing Vanishing act for a second, that is exactly how I saw it mid race. I had no idea if he would re appear on top of me or not. Other then that all cars are moving fairly well in the replay.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:40:59 AM by marty »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal