Poll

Do we keep the Ferrari 599?

Yes
5 (26.3%)
No
14 (73.7%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: November 29, 2014, 11:29:45 PM

Author Topic: Do we keep the Ferrari 599?  (Read 26737 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Do we keep the Ferrari 599?
« on: November 25, 2014, 11:29:45 PM »
Now that we've had a race with the 599, do you want to keep it? Or is it too fast in a straight line and too slow in corners, ending up just being frustrating to race behind? The fastest car without it would become the BMW M3 GT2.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Aiman Haziq

• Karts are the best!
    • View Profile
Re: Do we keep the Ferrari 599?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 11:38:22 PM »
I will say no , the 599 is the odd one from all the GT cars we raced , it isnt a true race car and got too much power and worse handling to have a good race with it. 599s can easily just win straights and then block in corners as ive raced with one of 599xx.

Offline Schmittez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 12:56:37 AM »
From what happened tonight it seems racing behind the 599 isn't very fun and to be honest racing in it wasn't that great either because you just fly past people on the straights and end up getting swamped in the corners if you make a mistake. I'm pretty sure the only times I was passed by people who weren't in 599s was when I made a mistake, even with some of the best guys like Marty and Ed chasing they just couldn't get past me.

I don't mind being in a slightly slower car I should still be competitive with some one, I doubt I will be much slower, I might even be faster because the car is easier to handle. I will do some laps tomorrow in the BMW and the 599 around spa and see what kind of times I can get.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 01:02:24 AM »
Id say no too, was very frustrating being behind 2 of them the entire 24 laps in race 2, losing lap time but unable to get past and stay there. Losing 4 seconds on the straight which took 2/3 of a lap to catch back up then even if youd get by in the last few corners then theyd just pull a huge gap down the straight.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 07:05:56 AM »
Keep it for a hyper car series I reckon.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 07:16:16 AM »
I didn't really see any 599s, by and large, so I don't really have an opinion either way. In my P4/5, I didn't pass anyone unless they made a mistake anyway, and I couldn't pass a couple of BMWs that I sometimes caught up to before they'd pull away again, so I don't know if that's much different to trying to pass a 599. I didn't often catch up to the back of a Beemer in the curves though - maybe the 599 was even slower in the corners. But as I said, I don't care either way.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 07:48:46 AM »
I agree, drop it.  Even if you overtake it an build a 2-3 car gap it'll take the position back on the s/f straight. Impossible to get past it once it is in front.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 08:10:27 AM »
Wally you can check the race replay from my car the early laps up to 7 where I pitted to try get away from the 599's and then again from lap 13 after they pitted. I did run off track after losing it on my own in the lap 18 and so had clear running for a couple laps. Every other lap was the same they pull away down the straight amd Id cath them at turn 8 to 9 and try to make a move intk the last few corners only for them to pull a big gap down the straight and I catch them at turn 9. Must have happened on at least 15 of the 24 laps.

Only reason I pitted on lap 7 was to try and get away from them as I could see my lap times dropping and so I was getting further away from those ahead. This was observed by Krahl Ed and a few others that joined the train at some point. Nobody got past these 599's but some crashed while trying

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 08:20:01 AM »
I was thinking about this today and here's my 2 cents. Drop the 599, it's too slow in corners and a rocket in a straight line.

I enjoy the series we have and will continue to race each Tuesday regardless of what happens in the future but I asked myself today, would I rather be beaten by a more skilled driver or a less skilled driver in a faster car?

In all honesty I would rather have the same car and push myself more and eventually learn how to drive faster.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 08:24:19 AM »
Here is my lap chart from the seconds race and I highlighted all the laps where I was stuck behind these 2 cars that were impossible to pass.

Edwood managed to get past one of them after I had my little off as the 599 went wide somewhere, I did no that it was going to get him on the straight again and he had a fair gap and tried hard to stay ahead. He got passed by the 599 on the last lap and at that point I knew Id have a chance of passing Ed on the last lap. Actually Ed would have been far enough ahead to be clear but he got trapped behind the other 599 in the last few laps which was not letting him to extend the gap until the other 599 could get close enough to swallow him up on the straight.

Well worth watching the replay around Schimttez and Gwyar and even watching the lap animation shows how they were never passed but ended with a train of cars behind them. Its nothing against them and had they been in more even cars they'd likely have had better races too as they would have others to race more evenly with. I think Rob and M8R were pretty much the same thing looking at the lap animation but if you were side by side into the last turn with a 599 there was no chance to get by unless they had an off. You needed to pull a gap large enough to not let them by on the straight but it takes most of the lap to get back what is lost in the straight so at best you would be a few car lengths ahead out of the last turn but you'd lose 400m or so there.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 08:42:28 AM »
I was thinking about this today and here's my 2 cents. Drop the 599, it's too slow in corners and a rocket in a straight line.

I enjoy the series we have and will continue to race each Tuesday regardless of what happens in the future but I asked myself today, would I rather be beaten by a more skilled driver or a less skilled driver in a faster car?

In all honesty I would rather have the same car and push myself more and eventually learn how to drive faster.

I think the handicapping is fine it does help bring racing closer its just the 599 is so different in how it gets its lap time. On pace The faster guys were always going to be hard to keep up with in the evora but the 599's  made the race a bit of a farce because of how different it is.

I really dont care if they are there at Spa as I know my Evora is about 8 seconds a lap slower there so at least they wont be effecting my race at all.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 08:59:11 AM »
Now let me get this straight Marty. I think what you are saying is "YOU DON'T WANT THE 599s". Is that correct :))

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 09:08:02 AM »
Now let me get this straight Marty. I think what you are saying is "YOU DON'T WANT THE 599s". Is that correct :))
yeah, I think there is a hint of that idea somewhere in there ☺

Offline gawaterman

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 09:17:18 AM »
I reckon we should keep it, I enjoyed driving it and its my only chance of actually passing someone.
After all, isn't that the point of handicap racing, to give slower drivers faster cars?
In R2 they only finished in 3rd,9th,10th,15th and 20th, so its not like they dominated the race, and in R1 they were further down.
Also gives a bit more variety of cars in the field.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:07:40 AM by gawaterman »

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 09:30:17 AM »
WHAT! I need it! haha I believe I will be in it any rounds that I run in, infact that was why I painted a skin!
I understand it may be frustrating, but it is either a 'train' of indentical cars with indentical skilled drivers going around until a mistake, or a mechanical failure
or
it's mixed.  I hear plenty of , 'hot lapped, got bored'... I think the 599 certainly made it interesting for me and a challenge for others. 
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal