Xtreme Gaming Network

Blue Flag Rules

Author Topic: Blue Flag Rules  (Read 10405 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Flag Rules
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 12:34:21 PM »
More communication never hurts.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 02:14:29 PM »
More communication never hurts.

It doesnt but too much chatter gets distracting to others on track, as it did after the contact and why on track all I said prior to that was blue flag.

If people want to completely get out of the way then going completely off the racing line mid straight and backing off if safe is an option as you would do in qualy on an outlap. Just that is going to cost even more time to the guy being lapped so its not the best option for them as they are there to race too, if there are a few cars approaching closely then it is sometimes a good option and communication is needed here so all are aware of a slower car off line.

We have very little problems with lapped traffic in the XGN races.

Yes on occasion hiccups do occur but that will happen even with the strictest rules and formalized procedures. So just continue as we've always done.  ;D   

(That's my 1c, I'm too cheap for 2c)

It has never been a big issue and I mostly see people hurting themselves and panicking a bit too much under blue flags which is even worse for the cars lapping them as they have really no idea what the car ahead is about to do.

Offline UnFknBLievable

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 06:30:42 PM »
May need to find a lap at Nords with faster cars in traffic, how the drivers deal with it there is impressive.

It's not impressive, it's common sense. Something most people here in Australia don't have when it comes to racing. I watch quite a lot of those videos by EMS Nordschliefe TV and majority of the time, the slower guys indicate the side they will move over to (normally off the racing line) when it is safe to do so. It's also amazing to see how little car control people have when they loose it around some corners due to either too much speed, over correcting or just plain stupidity on a wet track.

Considering this is a simulation and we have voice communication as well as in-built driving apps to help increase a drivers awareness (heli-corsa for example), there shouldn't be much excuse to not know who is around your car. Heli-Corsa even shows Red/Blue cars for lapping cars, While white dots are cars on the current lap as you are.

On the topic of Blue flags and how long you have to obey it, I think 1 lap is far more than enough. I know some tracks are hard to pass, but somewhere along the circuit is going to be safe to let a lapping car through. After that, give a penalty.

reading some of you guys are saying it's safer for the slow car to stay on the race line IMO isn't any better. The lapped car should never be racing the leader. If you're being lapped, you're not really going to win are you? Might as well just communicate, merge off the line *when it's safe* and let him through. The race leader/Lapping cars shouldn't have to have their position compromised because they have to go around a lapped car holding the line.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 07:32:01 PM »
reading some of you guys are saying it's safer for the slow car to stay on the race line IMO isn't any better. The lapped car should never be racing the leader. If you're being lapped, you're not really going to win are you? Might as well just communicate, merge off the line *when it's safe* and let him through. The race leader/Lapping cars shouldn't have to have their position compromised because they have to go around a lapped car holding the line.

I think in qualy that is the case but in a race most people I see go off line do some rather bizarre unpredictable stuff which just gives the lapping car little idea of what they are doing. I dont mind if I have to go offline to pass a lapped car as long as they then dont defend into the corner or at least not multiple corners in a row, In races there are times you will simply get held up and it happens to all. You win some and you lose some its kind of the way it goes but in qualy there is no good reason to hold anyone up if your not on a hotlap yourself so going well offline to leave the car on a lap his full line is pretty much required there.

At least in qualy I havent had many issues with people on outlaps here but if you catch another car on a lap then its just bad luck and you need to find a safe way past or back off and find space if possible.

I tried to find a video I saw a while back from the Nords 24hr race in the early laps, the gt3 cars with maybe 6 or 7 very close getting through the slow traffic from the end of lap 1 and if you see that you will be impressed. However at Nords slower cars getting in the way and not using mirrors or causing collisions get black flagged and the driver can lose his Nords race license on the spot and needs to be replaced. I think last year in the 24hr at least 2 drivers had this happen ordered to the stewards office mid race after a black flag and stripped of their licenses.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 10:55:51 AM »
Marty has said it pretty well, I don't think you're comparing apples to apples, unFk.
And it does create confusion and unpredictability if ppl start going off the racing line.  Been there, tried that (many years ago in other sims); not good.   

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 12:50:04 PM »
Anyone that in a race wants to get completely out of the way qualy style then they need to do it in a predictable manner, probably move over early but well after corner exit and only if the car following isn't very close to them at this point. They then need to move across the road as far off line as possible and once they see the following car hasn't followed them and no other cars are nearby should lift off or stay there and lift off much sooner before the corner giving the lapping car his full line. This I think is best practice in qualifying but as I said in a race its not ideal for any car to be traveling well off pace down a straight.

First it loses them much more time then needed but also if there are more cars coming they will need to completely stay out of the way until they exit the next corner, a pack of cars racing close will be changing lanes to pass each other down straights and a slower car there can easily cause a big crash easily avoided by trying to limit slower cars on track. If AC had a white flag indicating slow car on track it would help somewhat but in most cases this causes more problems then it serves in MP racing.

This crash is a good example of the problem with slow cars on track in heavy traffic, the car is very slow due to a failure but to some extent cars going 20-50kmh slower then normal on a straight can easily cause this to happen.

[youtube]GQ-zNzipmpE[/youtube]

Its still up to all drivers to try and be as aware of everyone as possible, the same situation can happen when someone is re entering the track or exiting pits. A poor getaway off the line or someone grabbing the wrong gear shifter like me in one of the practice starts at Monza. But I think in general forcing cars to be slower mid straights to allow for lapping cars just causes more issues then it solves, at times it may be the best option but then if someone chooses to go slower down a straight they need to communicate this on teamspeak if there are a few cars about to lap them. 1 on  1 lapping situations I don't see much reason for anyone to need to do this but its only my view and others may see it differently.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal