Xtreme Gaming Network

S25R3: Atlanta Journal-Constitution Grand Prix at Road Atlanta 2017

Author Topic: S25R3: Atlanta Journal-Constitution Grand Prix at Road Atlanta 2017  (Read 28642 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: S25R3: Atlanta Journal-Constitution Grand Prix at Road Atlanta 2017
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2018, 11:19:52 PM »
poor race for me after qualifying 3rd.

sounds like Jeremy warped into me which makes sense from what happened but that put me back in 10th. had a few good laps with bird and Phil  until around the 20 min mark where I put a tyre on the grass on the final turn which always means hitting that wall.

car was damaged from the warp but after the crash was pretty wrecked so I pitted and fixed the damage.

around 35 mins I spun on my own and hit a wall causing big damage again so decided to make a second stop.

after that was a lap down on most people. Wally was nice enough to let me unlap myself but I think he was more worried about me ramming into the back of him as was I  ;D

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2018, 11:58:08 PM »
At the jump I got away slightly better than Mael in front and went to move left to go past, but didn't realise Bradc had done similar from behind
and was coming up my left.  Contact and I was into the wall hard!!

Apologies for initiating the misery Freezer. Actually got a good initial start but found myself blocked by the cars in front with no way through so lifted off the throttle  :-[

Otherwise had a very good race not withstanding under-estimating the tire wear, running softs only probably wasn't the quickest strategy  ;D The last few laps was spend chasing Russ, hoping in vain that the back-markers would hold him up. But his shorty was quick enough to keep ahead of my ice-skating Long-tail, good driving mate!

Offline RussG

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2018, 12:01:16 AM »
At turn 1, Russ drifted wide across the track on corner exit and bumped Phil off the track, causing him to lose positions – penalty.
Only one thing I can say about that - Harsh!
Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2018, 07:26:59 AM »
At turn 1, Russ drifted wide across the track on corner exit and bumped Phil off the track, causing him to lose positions – penalty.
Only one thing I can say about that - Harsh!
Ask Phil if he feels the same way about the effect on his race ;)

Rules is rules: "don't deviate from your side of the track in the first two corners to reduce the risk of hitting someone beside you".

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2018, 07:28:56 AM »
after that was a lap down on most people. Wally was nice enough to let me unlap myself but I think he was more worried about me ramming into the back of him as was I  ;D
Damn straight. I knew you were faster than me.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2018, 08:39:43 AM »
Bloody good race for me.   
Decent quali, crap start (partially causing the accident for freezer, sorry), but then I stuck onto the Joe/Phil train for a bit, and felt I had some extra.   But then came the mistake(s) and lost a bit of ground - luckily nothing else.    I was lapping 5th at the half-time.   Then came the longest pit stop in history, and came out way behind.   I've managed to make up some ground, chased down Wally from  20-odd seconds behind (even did a few 17's during the chase which I was pretty happy with!), however once I caught up it was a waiting game.  The tyres were not good enough to try anything brave and even though I was significantly faster in the 1st sector, the long straights saw me drop behind the Mazda.   
Wally's racecraft won out in the end; no mistakes were made. :)   It was good fun racing in the pack!

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2018, 08:44:03 AM »
I didn't qualify as well as I thought I might and started in 12th. Had an ordinary start but gained a couple of spots because of a collision in front of me. Got caught out with the cold tyres and looped it, caught back up and promptly looped it again and damaged the car. After that it was all good and got back up to 6th and on the last lap before I pitted came over a crest and found Freezer in the worst position he could be, smacked the car hard and broke it. No point continuing because I would have been in the pits for over two minutes and I was really pissed off. Not pissed off with you Freezer, just with the circumstances. It's not often I'm competitive.

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2018, 08:49:28 AM »
Internet issues again for me, 3 discos during practice! Thought that the distraction of a warping car could ruin someone else's race, so pulled the plug.

I was disapointed to miss this race, I love this track, I actually did some practice.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2018, 10:51:57 AM »
Made a mistake about 15mins in, caused body damage but nothing else.
Then whilst recovering, still off the pace with dirty tyres, I was dive bombed into a corner, destroying my right front suspension.
Lost a lap limping back to the pits, lost another one getting repairs, but still had to pit again (too early to have enough room in the tank to get to the end).
I'd already done plenty of hotlaps, not interested in doing another 45mins worth. :-X

2+2=√16

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2018, 10:54:47 AM »
Complete shitshow for me lol, a bit of practice I did offline was in vr and had what felt like a good set-up for the car. But it seemed crap on race night on the monitor, so I spent a lot of practice tweaking with no real results. Also completely forgot to set up a fuel strategy until the last second and in doing so started on soft tyres instead of medium which I had planned. Couldn't get a good run in qualifying and started towards the back so I just wanted to stay out of trouble but I was on softs racing others with hard or medium which were slower in the corners than I. I rear ended G0D, very sorry, redressed. Stuffed up my pit stop adjusting fuel on the fly and lost a lot more time. Then hit the grass on the last turn contact the wall, exit to pit only 25 seconds wait but re-entered with lots of blue flag and quit. Good fun while it lasted, thanks guys and sorry for any troubles

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2018, 02:37:49 PM »
At the jump I got away slightly better than Mael in front and went to move left to go past, but didn't realise Bradc had done similar from behind
and was coming up my left.  Contact and I was into the wall hard!!

Apologies for initiating the misery Freezer. Actually got a good initial start but found myself blocked by the cars in front with no way through so lifted off the throttle  :-[
Yeah not your fault, good to see one of had a good night though!

Offline bradc

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2018, 03:01:27 PM »
Wow, I think that was one of the toughest nights I racing I've ever had!

With little knowledge of how to setup a car I really struggled in the Longtail. I tried raising the rear wing, but then couldn't dial out all the understeer, so I gave up on that path and kept it rather low which gave more neutral handling, but it was slow. When i qualified in 11th I was actually shocked as my times before that had me at the back of the grid. Sadly after side to side contact off the line I was. I'm not sure who was in front of my, but that had a slow start and I went for the big gap in the next row, I became piggy in the middle and was squeezed, resulting in contact and a spin. Luckily I managed to escape undamaged so my turtle didn't get any slower. I decided to adopt a long strategy and as the laps passed managed to pass a lot of cars who'd fallen off or crashed. In fact I can't recall doing a single 'real' pass all race. The medium tyres held out well, not really surprising seeing a high 1m18 was all I could manage. I ended up using all 99ltrs and then took some new mediums at around 18mins to go and then kept on trucking, but by then 9th place was nearly 1/2 a minute up the road so i just kept on doing my 18s and cruised home in 10th which I'm happy with considering it was a bad night for me.

It was a tough race, more so because I needed to know who I was racing and every lap was a struggle to stay on the blackstuff. At times when I had faster cars behind me (and lapped ones) where I just let them go as I knew holding track position was only going to lead to their frustration and a possible incident ruining both our races. One comment I will make, is that I believe those blue flags are coming out far too early! Whilst being lapped I noticed they started to appear when the leaders were about 2sec behind me and with the differences in the cars strengths/weaknesses it could mean that the leader would take a lap or two (or more) to get in a position where you could wave them by and not add 5 seconds to your lap time....

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2018, 06:46:12 PM »
Bacchulum collided with the rear of killagorilla, sending him off track – penalty.
Yeah, sorry Killa. :'(
I wasn't even trying to pass, just focusing on the car in front.
I didn't even see you until you turned in, tried to back out but it was just too late. :(

I also take from this ruling that the "stay on your side for turns 1 & 2" rule is now obsolete?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:11:11 PM by Bacchulum »

2+2=√16

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2018, 08:43:49 PM »
Bacchulum collided with the rear of killagorilla, sending him off track – penalty.
Yeah, sorry Killa. :'(
I wasn't even trying to pass, just focusing on the car in front.
I didn't even see you until you turned in, tried to back out but it was just too late. :(

I also take from this ruling that the "stay on your side for turns 1 & 2" rule is now obsolete?

It's ok. Just watched the replay...hmm, it's a tricky one. Dunno whether it counts as turn 2 or 3 - but that's just on the side.
I watched it from multiple perspectives, your cockpit view as well. I would definitely say it was very easy for you to see me on whatever FOV you're using - I saw myself from your cockpit quite some time before the contact. You had that moment behind Simone, lost quite some ground and I was a full car length in front. At that moment I just thought I would be save to move left. It looks like you've braked a tad later. All that happening at the same time lead to the collision. It was unfortunate. Maybe I could/should have left this line for you, maybe you could have braked a tiny bit more/earlier to avoid contact...to be honest I struggle to figure out whose fault it is.
I think you can say you could have easily avoided it.
However, Wally, might be worth having another look at it and see if the penalty is justified.
Cheers
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 08:46:37 PM by killagorilla »

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2018, 10:59:46 PM »
You're right Killa, you were visible peripherally, and I'd conceded the place but didn't want to lose more.
I was focused on the car directly in front of me (used to the the "stay your side" rule) and was surprised when you started to fill the gap.
That's all, didn't mean it. :-[ :-[
The penalty can stand, I don't care about that, I'm about a minute away from anyone else so it's a spit in the ocean. :-X

2+2=√16

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal