Xtreme Gaming Network

S36R1 - Hockenheimring

Author Topic: S36R1 - Hockenheimring  (Read 12577 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: S36R1 - Hockenheimring
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2021, 04:26:43 PM »
All this talk of trannies and blown boxes... feels like I should do some practice for this season

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2021, 05:06:36 PM »
Blowing up trannies? Is it because of rev matching without clutch?
Flat shift with a quick pop of the clutch on up shift (only useful if the engine has rev limiter or you have to release acc a bit) and heel and toe down shift w/c, I will only once in a while stuff up a shift so rarely come close to blowing boxes.
It's all from clutchless, rev-matching downshifts.
Every change does damage (even if you don't hear a grind), and as the damage gets worse, the more damage it does.
Upshifts are no problem, but heel-toeing is out of the question now (I used to do it), but any angle on the brake pedal breaks it now (they're very old). :'(

2+2=√16

Offline Alphonso_Timmins

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2021, 06:42:23 PM »
I usually flat shift on the way up the box (and hope not to miss gears), and then heel + toe on the way down. Before you guys mentioned it, I didn't even know the cars allowed you to do clutchless downshifts  ::)

I gave the 1988 version of Hockenheim a go just now, and it's also really good fun! Such an amazing array of mods available for AC

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2021, 07:07:03 PM »
Blowing up trannies? Is it because of rev matching without clutch?
Flat shift with a quick pop of the clutch on up shift (only useful if the engine has rev limiter or you have to release acc a bit) and heel and toe down shift w/c, I will only once in a while stuff up a shift so rarely come close to blowing boxes.
It's all from clutchless, rev-matching downshifts.
Every change does damage (even if you don't hear a grind), and as the damage gets worse, the more damage it does.
Upshifts are no problem, but heel-toeing is out of the question now (I used to do it), but any angle on the brake pedal breaks it now (they're very old). :'(
It's difficult enough with the clutch in the Alfa

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2021, 08:03:03 PM »
All this talk of trannies and blown boxes...

...so many jokes to be made  ;D

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2021, 08:51:54 PM »
All this talk of trannies and blown boxes...

...so many jokes to be made  ;D

Glad it wasn't just me that laughed at that way more than I should have

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2021, 10:43:38 PM »
3 cars within 0.03s...good calcs, Wally.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2021, 07:53:55 AM »
We'll see how the damage pans out after a round of two (people might learn how to deal with it), but if it ends up being ridiculous, I will reduce the damage rate.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Alphonso_Timmins

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2021, 10:24:54 AM »
3 cars within 0.03s...good calcs, Wally.

You are uncomfortably close after only a single lap! I better get practicing 🙂

Should be a good series of races, and I'm pleased that 3 cars that drive very differently and will therefore have different strengths/weaknesses at sections on the track have such close times. Looking forward to racing with you guys

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2021, 07:15:56 PM »
Server's up.

I set damage to 75%, not wanting too many races to be ruined by gearboxes.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2021, 11:10:55 PM »
Results are up. Congratulations to Bueller and Killa.

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2021, 11:43:10 PM »
Wasn't able to match my PB in the qualies, but races went well. Caught up with Bueller towards the end of race 1. Didn't get a chance to try a pass though. R2 was a bit lonely, but it's a rare win...so I'm happy...good start into the new season. Great qualy times by Bueller and Dietmar.

Offline Alphonso_Timmins

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2021, 06:52:39 AM »
You guys in the Alfas had incredible race pace, especially once the tyres started to wear. I was working really hard to catch Bueller in R2 but the man was on a mission. Nearly dipped into the 51s on race fuel and mediums which I was quietly chuffed with.

Round 1 was a comedy of errors by me resulting in a blown box on the last lap, but I somehow coasted through to the finish line. I had a really good battle with AB156 in the Merc

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2021, 07:43:51 AM »
Great racing again guys, really wasn't sure what tyres to use I thought the meds would be better towards the end of the race but Killa was hunting me down in R1. I didn't realise we had a second qualifying session and just put a few laps in with the race set, full fuel and meds, again hesitant to use meds for R2 but did anyways, however it looks like worn soft are still faster than worn meds surprisingly. I got pretty sloppy on the worn meds since they were already a bit slippery from the start. Does changing damage affect tyres? Speaking of damage my gearbox copped a flogging. Good fun thanks guys.

Offline ab156

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2021, 09:46:43 AM »
Good start the the season, as they usually are.... Have to take advantage before others come to grips with the cars.

The Merc was pretty strong in the first half of the track (up to T7) then a handful. Ironically "Mercedes" corner was an absolute nightmare for some reason.  Some serious defensive lines required through there in the last laps of both races.

Races were pretty much the same, give up 2-3 seconds to the Alfa's on the start / opening lap then slip back a few tenths each lap and end up in an almighty battle with a BMW for the last couple of laps. In R1 only managed to nab Dietmar due to his gearbox management, in R2 I used all the PLP candy early and had to be very cautious at a few spots which made it interesting for Joe but I easily covered him by almost a full a car length to the line  ;D

Nice to have some clean side by side racing.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal