Xtreme Gaming Network

AC News

Author Topic: AC News  (Read 763642 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: AC News
« Reply #780 on: July 20, 2015, 09:48:37 PM »
Yeah I don't like the idea of a server lock for races, even if it's just to not allow players joining during a race going out on track.  Although I know some people do the wrong thing, most use it to get to grips with the track before the next race.

Server lock I think would be ok but should still let people join, but if it allows escape and resume it really makes no difference if its new joiners jumping in the way or guys restarting after wrecking. The funny thing is people were begging for flags and they make no difference as there are no penalties associated with them. Blue flags should have optional penalties if not obeyed within a certain amount of corners and with that people joining for casual shorter races is fine.

The advantage of closing sessions is you could run longer races and not need to worry about trying to race a handful of guys in the middle of a basic track day on a shorter track. Main reason I prefer racing Nords is you only pass the pits every 8 minutes or so and a 15 min race only 1 time.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 21, 2015, 08:26:01 AM »
Yeah a penalty should be there if a blue flag is being shown and the car has been within x meters for x amount of time.

I'm guessing the other problem is that a lot of casual players probably don't know what a blue flag means, or as we've seen in league races people just don't see it which causes accidents.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 21, 2015, 08:58:30 AM »
Blue flag means you need to try and wreck the overtaking car right? And I get more points if it's Marty?

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: July 21, 2015, 09:51:04 AM »
I try and make it as hard as possible - they are fast enough already :D In the interest of fairness I do try and hold up lapping cars equally LOL

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: July 21, 2015, 09:55:05 AM »
equally

So you guys don't weight it towards the payoffs before the race... interesting

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 21, 2015, 10:03:25 AM »
As in politics one's perception of fairness tends to be driven by donors ;)

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 21, 2015, 10:03:45 AM »
or,  you are fast enough to be lapping cars i am sure you will get past is another argument,  In F1 the blue flags do hurt the backmarkers race i think,  But I dont care either way really
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: July 21, 2015, 10:14:48 AM »
Yeah. Lapping cars is part of the fun. Just look at WEC with the LMP cars weaving through the other class cars repeatedly.

The Blue flags work because they tell a driver that a much faster car is coming up behind. That is very useful for both cars. No need for penalties.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: July 21, 2015, 11:17:54 AM »
Yeah. Lapping cars is part of the fun. Just look at WEC with the LMP cars weaving through the other class cars repeatedly.

The Blue flags work because they tell a driver that a much faster car is coming up behind. That is very useful for both cars. No need for penalties.

But it's also not fair on the following car to be held up longer than necessary. I'd like to see some sort of penalty for not allowing the car past in time. But how long is too long? That's the question.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Rolz

« Reply #789 on: July 21, 2015, 11:23:07 AM »

But it's also not fair on the following car to be held up longer than necessary. I'd like to see some sort of penalty for not allowing the car past in time. But how long is too long? That's the question.

I suspect we will see a BFP app by Wally soon  ;D

*Blue Flag Penalty

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: July 21, 2015, 11:27:34 AM »
I think maybe warning on 3rd corner if shown blue flag to same car with a thing like flash the flag 2 corners later if they still dont give up the spot a drive through.

I have nothing against guys running their normal line as the faster car will find a way past but anyone blocking or driving guys off the road while being lapped would have to be very poor form.

Also in qualifying blue flags should be even more strictly enforced for any cars on outlap vs guys on a lap. Nothing worse then finding a bit of track for your lap to onky have someon pull out of the pits and cost you 2 or 3 seconds ruining your lap.

Being lapped people dont need to do silly things like braking way too early when the other car is directly behind or driving off the road. But having blue flags and no penalty enforceable makes it useless especially for those completly not in the race joining late for example. They should not get in anyones way and take extra caution when coming out of the pits.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: July 21, 2015, 11:35:17 AM »
BFP app... Too hard!

Good points, Marty. I agree.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: July 21, 2015, 11:46:00 AM »
I think maybe warning on 3rd corner if shown blue flag to same car with a thing like flash the flag 2 corners later if they still dont give up the spot a drive through.

It needs to be based on distance between the cars. The blue flag appears when the car behind is quite a distance back and can sometimes take a lap before they close the gap. I wait until the car is close to me then wait for the next straight where I can just ease off the thottle. I guess you've never been lapped Marty??  ;)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #793 on: July 21, 2015, 01:15:13 PM »
Everyone has probably been lapped at some point, have an accident with damage then repair it you can come back out mid pack and a lap down. The tricky thing is do you try to unlap yourself or let others bye in that position, if your faster then some of the guys that you end up a lap down on. My view on that is if you can pass a car but then get out of the blue flag zone within a few corners so as not to hold them up, also things are quite different in proper enduro racing vs sprint races. If your a lap down in a 10 lap race you just should give up the position to those lapping but if t was to be an hour or more race then you can always gain back a lap and pitstops may see you out of position at times.

I did do an Arse fun run a few weeks ago which was GTA vs Tatuus with a field of GTA cars and 2x tatuus, the Tatuus started 2 laps down and you had to try and get that back within about 10 laps at Baskerville. Was good fun but real tricky as the tatuus drivers needed to be more aware of the GTA cars as they would come from so far back that you would be inside someone before they even noticed. I think a fun run like this one nite would be good in some mixed cars or even a mixed class series with 2 championships going on at once.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: July 21, 2015, 01:43:27 PM »
Yeah, the blue flags do get shown very early (which isn't such a bad thing).  In my mind when a blue flag is shown to someone in-game they should do what is required in real life, which is to get off the racing line and let the faster car through without impeding them.  If the idea was to make the faster car pass under normal conditions then we wouldn't have blue flags to begin with!

It's fairly easy and Joe has the right idea.  Wait until they are close enough where any longer you would be effecting their race and then pull over on a straight and let them past.  As is seen in real racing, even if you are battling with someone else and both of you are about to be lapped, you still need to give up that battle to let the car lapping you through.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal