Xtreme Gaming Network

S6R6: BARBAGALLO Pre-Race Chat

Author Topic: S6R6: BARBAGALLO Pre-Race Chat  (Read 36345 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: S6R6: BARBAGALLO Pre-Race Chat
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2015, 08:42:12 PM »
Dick the biggest change youd need is to find a better driver. Having seen you drive I think that would be the best way to improve your cars speed I think.

What Gaybrush is saying is he wants us to know what we'd like the car to do so he can make the changes. I dont really think I can get mine to go faster then his but im sure he can make his go slower. I could even do the setup for him and make these changes fairly easily.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2015, 08:49:38 PM »
Dick the biggest change youd need is to find a better driver. Having seen you drive I think that would be the best way to improve your cars speed I think.

Are.... are you offering??

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2015, 09:46:03 PM »
You dont need me Dick you could pretty much find an improvement with any random off the street.  ;D

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2015, 12:51:21 AM »
He did beat you in the recent season that was run though Marty...

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2015, 01:03:28 AM »

I think we tied and I ran less then half the races, but fair enough he did beat me in the race he wrecked me and most of the ones I didnt start.  ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2015, 07:16:25 AM »

What Gaybrush is saying is he wants us to know what we'd like the car to do so he can make the changes. I dont really think I can get mine to go faster then his but im sure he can make his go slower. I could even do the setup for him and make these changes fairly easily.

I think more of my own speed increase would come from better exit from the corners, so being able to get the power down earlier without understeer would be helpful.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2015, 07:24:27 AM »
You dont need me Dick you could pretty much find an improvement with any random off the street.  ;D

Nice one Marty... I'll take it.. I have got nothing.  ;)

Thanks Guybrush.  A win is a win.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2015, 07:31:36 AM »

I think more of my own speed increase would come from better exit from the corners, so being able to get the power down earlier without understeer would be helpful.

You are all aliens to me. All so smooth in and out of corners. I find I do learn a bit and get a bit faster trying to hang off the back of you guys but it's defiantly noticeable that late breaking = slow exit, wrong apex = slow exit, no breaking = no exit.
Exit speed. that's where it is at.
and break markers. I sometimes can go a whole race without even looking for one. "i'll just break somewhere here" Which is bad but that's my level of concentration at times.

I'm still breaking PB's nearly every 2-3 laps in races.... Give me another 6-7 years I might be slightly competitive.

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2015, 08:34:21 AM »

Depends on the car,  but generally for UNDERSTEER out of a corner I'd be decreasing the front rebound damper, decreasing front ARB and spring stiffness, increasing rear ARB + spring, creating more rake on the car so front is lower than rear (spring height), more front negative camber and more neutral front toe while more negative rear toe.

Of course these things have all other side effects which ultimately either make the car slower to turn in and change direction or make the rear end more Unstable.

I think the key is to make gradual changes as you learn where being just below the limit of the car is.  If it's a new car or track it's hard just to load straight up a "fast" set up which is Unstable as you haven't had the time to understand the limits and acclimatise to the instability.  I know I used to load set ups that would be far too unstable for me initially.

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2015, 08:43:37 AM »

You are all aliens to me. All so smooth in and out of corners. I find I do learn a bit and get a bit faster trying to hang off the back of you guys but it's defiantly noticeable that late breaking = slow exit, wrong apex = slow exit, no breaking = no exit.
Exit speed. that's where it is at.
and break markers. I sometimes can go a whole race without even looking for one. "i'll just break somewhere here" Which is bad but that's my level of concentration at times.

I'm still breaking PB's nearly every 2-3 laps in races.... Give me another 6-7 years I might be slightly competitive.

Understand the quickest way around and then mechanise it using reference points for everything you do - braking, turn in, throttle on, etc.  I think sometimes the difference in pace is just being methodical and precise once you have found the best way around.  You'll get there Dick.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2015, 09:28:11 AM »
"just being methodical and precise once you have found the best way around" is the best advice. I know I am most 'relaxed' at Mugello because I have done most laps there learning every corner. Perversely this is because I really struggled with this track early on and had to practise against the AI in the E30 to even stay on the track. Ended up being my favourite track because of the laps I've done. When I follow the faster guys (briefly when they spin off and come back past me!) they are very 'repeatable' and smooth in every corner. I am still a bit different every time and so lose time by a thousand cuts.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2015, 10:18:16 AM »
Yes the repeatable part is the key and thats what seperates most people. This is also where you need to either take more risk or back off a little but then the better driver will normally be even more precise so what may be more risk for you they can do quite easily. The real aliens can come pretty close to the cars grip limits which not many can do every corner of every lap so the very quick guys are just basically hitting closer to the ideal line closer to the limit.

Its really good to see in the league the standards of driving are getting quite good through the field. Following others that are quicker then you is one of the better ways to see how its done and what you need to change to improve.

Setup wise its a tricky thing and best to learn yourself then take others sets. For me mostly using others setups doesnt work but if im a long way off the pace. Seeing what someone else is doing can give me an idea. Lots of times its more to do with driver then setup and you want a setup that feels good to you. It needs to give you confidence so no point trying someones setup that likes a very different car feel as you will oikely struggle. In a car you havent driven k uch jowever it can be helpful to get someones setup to start with as a base rather then the ingame defaults which normally may need a fair bit more work.

Rolz

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2015, 11:51:06 AM »
Setup wise its a tricky thing and best to learn yourself then take others sets. For me mostly using others setups doesnt work but if im a long way off the pace. Seeing what someone else is doing can give me an idea. Lots of times its more to do with driver then setup and you want a setup that feels good to you. It needs to give you confidence so no point trying someones setup that likes a very different car feel as you will oikely struggle. In a car you havent driven k uch jowever it can be helpful to get someones setup to start with as a base rather then the ingame defaults which normally may need a fair bit more work.

Pretty well this season have I started to really get into setups... as everyone says do one change do a few laps and see if it helps or not, revert and then try something else... getting a good base down that works for you in a car has helped heaps for me.

That first race in the Merc I spent ages on the setup, but I knew it still needed something, but I don't know what... This was when I got one of the other guys Merc setups and compared (notepadd++ has an awesome compare plugin).  We were similar, but in the end it was a few extra clicks to increase rear caber that ended up being kicker and I took .5 off my PB straight up...

Time in car and on track is the big one, I'm fortunate where my fiance lets me spend a few hours on the weekend practicing (as long as my chores are done :P) plus it gives her some time to read her Trash mags and watch her series that I organise for her. ;)

Check out "Race track engineer - interactive setup guide" I just shared excel last time... it might be simples for some, but for me it's been such a massive help to understand what potentially gets impacted... I'm only really a racer since AC has been out so there has been that black magic voodoo in car setups until recently.  ;D

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/race-track-engineer-interactive-setup-guide.20473/

Will be online after my Saturday chores so if anyone else is on I'll cya then  ;D

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2015, 05:00:11 PM »
You learn something new every day with car setups lol there is just so many aspects to it, certain parts playing off other parts etc Im far from being a car setup master I just try and make the car safe and stable so I can drive the wheels off it lol and most people that I lend my car too often say it isn't that quick just comfortable so ah well lol. Everybody is different in the end so what works for 1 person wont work for the next which the beauty of it all really but in saying that you can try my spa set rolz I think it worked well last race made a few different changes to it from my usual merc setup, if it will work at perth who knows lol
do you even motorsports?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2015, 12:24:17 AM »
Just wondering with this track, the last turn exit is pretty dodgy to run outside the kerb and quite a bit faster. This part of track isnt marked as invalid but I think if everyone goes that line it makes a bit of a joke of the turn. I wonder what Wally's call will be on using this, I know if you make a mistake then it should be ok to use it but if someone plans for it they can carry much more speed run very wide and gain a huge advantage.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal