Xtreme Gaming Network

Car Skins in Multiplayer

Author Topic: Car Skins in Multiplayer  (Read 10298 times)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Car Skins in Multiplayer
« on: May 31, 2014, 02:31:51 PM »
I have done some testing and it seems that you can set the car skins in the entry_list of the server and it will assign that skin to the specific driver's car. However, I haven't been able to test this online with multiple players, so it may not work properly hence all the red Ferraris and white McLarens. Is this the case Wally?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Car Skins in Multiplayer
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 02:42:31 PM »
Yeah, that's right. You can set the skins in the entry list, and I have before. I just didn't last round, so everyone got the default skin. It's a bit cumbersome at the moment, hopefully they'll improve it.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 04:06:25 PM »
Would be good if they just gave random skins if none are assigned to users which would make it much easier for admins.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 04:07:27 PM »
Would be good if they just gave random skins if none are assigned to users which would make it much easier for admins.
Yeah, that's what I was hoping would happen if I didn't assign a skin. Oh well, early days for MP still.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 02:22:46 PM »
I actually enjoy making my own skins. In multi-player I have noticed a few times other drivers with my skins! I haven't uploaded them to share or anything. Bit of a shock seeing other cars with 'Dick Forrest' on them.
But it got me thinking, maybe I can only see whatever skins I have in my folders and same goes for other racers.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 02:58:02 PM »
There are a few avid skinners around, and I'm all for it, once MP support for custom skins improves a bit.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 03:14:20 PM »
My understanding is that if Dick, for example, provides his custom skin for everyone to download then those who install it will see his skin. Those who don't will get the generic skin. Perhaps that is an easy interim arrangement? Just need an upload area for (voluntary) custom skins.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 03:18:58 PM »
My understanding is that if Dick, for example, provides his custom skin for everyone to download then those who install it will see his skin. Those who don't will get the generic skin. Perhaps that is an easy interim arrangement? Just need an upload area for (voluntary) custom skins.

I don't know how that works yet with the entry list system, where I have to specify a skin for the player. I suppose if I specify a custom skin, then those who have it will see it, otherwise they'll see the default skin. We can certainly try it out. If someone has a custom BMW skin they want to try, upload it and we'll see how it works out.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 03:29:45 PM »

This is whats confusing, I haven't uploaded my skins anywhere yet I'll see other racers with Dick Forrest skin, naturally I just have to ram them off the road! lol jokes.. I can usually never catch them..
But I think it's only me that sees those skins, as in what ever is in my skins folder is what is distributed by default.

I do have some semi-mad-skillz with photoshop and illustrator.. enough to be dangerous anyway.

I have no doubt there will be a team of skinners before too long.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 04:18:34 PM »

I don't know how that works yet with the entry list system, where I have to specify a skin for the player. I suppose if I specify a custom skin, then those who have it will see it, otherwise they'll see the default skin. We can certainly try it out. If someone has a custom BMW skin they want to try, upload it and we'll see how it works out.

Since I cannot drive tonight I can try and upload a skin. If everyone doesn't get to download it then no harm done. I will use a ready built skin that I download from the AC forum.

Wally, what do you think about naming the skins by the driver name. Since AC puts the skins into the 'car' folder then the name can be the same for every car. Makes the entry list easy to setup?

If you want to proceed where do you wan the upload?

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 04:33:11 PM »
http://www.mediafire.com/download/t5xo4cccfmj2cgp/Aleph0_37_BMW_E30.7z
http://www.mediafire.com/download/kxix2qqkctxa1st/Aleph0_37_312T.7z

There's my BMW & 312T skins Wally, feel free to test with those. ;)
It may be beneficial if some don't download them, so we can see what happens. 8)

2+2=√16

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal