Xtreme Gaming Network

OT: Alfa Romeo 8C-35 Grand Prix racer sells for record-setting $9.4 million

Author Topic: OT: Alfa Romeo 8C-35 Grand Prix racer sells for record-setting $9.4 million  (Read 10158 times)

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
I was a little short of cash to pick this one up  :P

The record-setting 1935 Alfa Romeo 8C-35. Photos by Pawel Litwinski, courtesy Bonhams Auctions.

Notching a win against a Silver Arrow should be feather enough in any racing car’s cap; doing so with the great Tazio Nuvolari at the wheel and under the banner of Scuderia Ferrari simply explains the win. All of that combined, however, helped the 1935-1936 Alfa Romeo 8C-35 Grand Prix Racing Monoposto that Bonhams offered at this past weekend’s Goodwood auction to sell for 5,937,500 British pounds ($9.4 million, including buyer’s fees), setting a new record for Alfa Romeos sold at public auction.

Initially campaigned by Scuderia Ferrari, chassis 50013 is believed to be the Alfa Romeo factory racer driven to a victory by Nuvolari at the August 1936 running of the Coppa Ciano race at Livorno, Italy. Nuvolari began the race in a different Scuderia Ferrari car, a 4.4-liter V-12 Alfa Romeo 12C-36, but a transmission failure ended his day shortly after the start. When Nuvolari’s car couldn’t be repaired in a timely manner, the team signaled Carlo Pintacuda, behind the wheel of an Alfa Romeo 8C-35 (believed to be chassis 50013), to pit for a driver change.

Read the full story here... http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2013/09/17/alfa-romeo-8c-35-grand-prix-racer-sells-for-record-setting-9-4-million/?refer=news

This video has some fantastic early footage... http://content.bitsontherun.com/previews/P08gTEch-87CCpqk8
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 12:29:16 PM by Flattop »
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Alfa Romeo 8C-35 Grand Prix racer sells for record-setting $9.4 million
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 04:20:20 PM »
I was wondering what record it broke, as a Merc W196 went for $29.6m
It's claiming to be the most expensive Alpha, but I wonder if they considered all the money spent repairing all the other Alpha's?
Surely someone has spent that much keeping theirs on the road. :P ;D

2+2=√16

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
Re: OT: Alfa Romeo 8C-35 Grand Prix racer sells for record-setting $9.4 million
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 06:15:25 PM »
I was wondering what record it broke, as a Merc W196 went for $29.6m
It's claiming to be the most expensive Alpha, but I wonder if they considered all the money spent repairing all the other Alpha's?
Surely someone has spent that much keeping theirs on the road. :P ;D

sounds like you have been an Alfa owner in the past!    ;D
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal