Xtreme Gaming Network

S20R1: Tor Poznan Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S20R1: Tor Poznan Post-Race Chat  (Read 18404 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: S20R1: Tor Poznan Post-Race Chat
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2017, 12:25:20 PM »
How are people getting speed out of this car? Are you running TC on or off? I left TC on as I find it a little too easy to oversteer out of corners with it off (as did Mael!). If you slide the car, you lose a heap of time.

Shift point and gear choice. I watched phil do a couple of laps of monday night and copied him and found nearly 2 seconds.

Shifting much earlier. Before i was red lining it now im shifting at the first red led on my rim which is only half the ledss. No idea what rpm that is.

Also staying in a higher gear seemed to help. There were only 3 turns where i went down to 3rd. Final turn where i was getting a good run on people was taken in 5th.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 12:27:49 PM »
It seems to me that carrying as much speed as possible with minimal sliding through corners is key, possibly early apex also allowing higher speeds on the straight. So fine tuning a good set-up will probably help although I'm not that good at any of these points just mentioned. Speaking of setup the race server has always seemed different to the practice server for me, not temps or surface, but possibly weight distribution or something. I can set up a car to have say approximately 3degree camber (displayed in the overall section) by way of ride height and say - 2Left, - 1.8right in the set up. But load that same set up in the race server and it's all out of wack and to achieve the same approx. 3degree I'll need to be - 1.5left and - 1.7right. (just approximate figures for example).

R1 wow kaos, managed to get by without incident luckily, feel sorry for everyone else who got caught up in it. I had a car, have no idea who, fly past me into a corner almost like as if they couldn't see everyone else's brake lights on and possibly forgetting they had cold tyres. I didn't see what happened to them because the big incident unfolding in front of me which I needed to avoid. Ended up good racing trying to get past Russ and Bach, Russ made a mistake attempting to pass and gave an extra spot.
R2. Held decent pace but could not find a safe way past Simone, others like Phil and Kceneder managed to get by me and Simone though, good fun...
R3. Lonely...stuck in between the lead pack and everyone else.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 12:46:55 PM »
As far as cambers and ride heights go, just be wary bueller.
The figures given are in relation to the ground, so if the ground isn't perfectly flat you'll get erroneous readings.
This normally explains the difference between the practice and race servers.
On the practice server you normally spawn in the last pit box but on race night you'll find yourself in a different pit.
And seeing as pit lanes are very rarely 'billiard table' flat, you'll get different readings.

2+2=√16

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2017, 01:01:51 PM »
Race 1 I got tangled in the lap one incident which left me facing the wrong way on the grass and from 8th to last. Caught up and passed a few cars.

Race 2 got caught in the accident again and was in second to last. Again made up some places. Last turn of the last lap was at the back of a pack and hit Matthew's rear side panel. I didn't expect it to slow up as much as it did on the apex and it caught me off guard. It also caused people behind me to hit me; all my fault so sorry to anyone involved.

Race 3 went pretty well with some decent close racing.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 01:06:26 PM by Joe »

Offline Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 01:13:34 PM »
Was wondering about the set up reading different myself, my front cambers were showing WAY out compared to practice server, left them alone as figured it’s a ground thing but haven’t seen it out like that before anywhere, was over a degree out in front left. Couldn’t get within half a second of my prac time weirdly.

As for speed, defenitly shift early, if you look at the torque curve on the car it peaks very early and drops very hard at the end of the rev range. TC off, throttle control and a bit of alignment/suspension tweaks to try to help corner exit, the huge low end torque makes it really easy to light up he tyres

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2017, 02:01:13 PM »

R1 wow kaos, managed to get by without incident luckily, feel sorry for everyone else who got caught up in it. I had a car, have no idea who, fly past me into a corner almost like as if they couldn't see everyone else's brake lights on and possibly forgetting they had cold tyres.
See my penalties explanation in the first post. It all started from a side to side impact between two cars and escalated from there.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2017, 03:16:21 PM »
As far as cambers and ride heights go, just be wary bueller.
The figures given are in relation to the ground, so if the ground isn't perfectly flat you'll get erroneous readings.
This normally explains the difference between the practice and race servers.
On the practice server you normally spawn in the last pit box but on race night you'll find yourself in a different pit.
And seeing as pit lanes are very rarely 'billiard table' flat, you'll get different readings.
That explains a lot, thanks. I thought the readout would be as if it was sitting on a wheel alignment rig and that one server accounted for drivers weight and the other not (or something like that)...it should be on a wheel alignment rig imo lol

R1 wow kaos, managed to get by without incident luckily, feel sorry for everyone else who got caught up in it. I had a car, have no idea who, fly past me into a corner almost like as if they couldn't see everyone else's brake lights on and possibly forgetting they had cold tyres.
See my penalties explanation in the first post. It all started from a side to side impact between two cars and escalated from there.
All good, we were behind the incident, I made it through safely, but not sure about the other person I mentioned. I'm here to race not so much win, so I'd rather play it safe in most cases

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 03:39:15 PM »
...it should be on a wheel alignment rig imo lol
If you're in doubt, what I do is go to a modern F1 track, KS laser-scanned, ie. Silverstone or Spa, as the FIA have enforced level pit lanes recently. ;)
It's the best you're gonna get.

2+2=√16

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2017, 03:53:30 PM »
I had a great nights racing in the BMW.  I copped a couple of hits and i gave one or two small ones but all up I don't think I have raced so
consistently close for a long time.  On the setup front I decided that I can't make it go any faster in a straight line so I ended up changed most things
just a little bit do get it nimble in the corners and with good power down.  You cant afford wheel spin in these as to much time is lost.
All up looking forward to a good season although I will be missing two rounds.

Wally: Can you put dates on each round in the sign up?  I heard mention of no race next week.  (Disregard, Just saw the post)

All the best to everyone for Christmas..... Cheers!

Offline kcender87

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2017, 04:20:24 PM »
...it should be on a wheel alignment rig imo lol
If you're in doubt, what I do is go to a modern F1 track, KS laser-scanned, ie. Silverstone or Spa, as the FIA have enforced level pit lanes recently. ;)
It's the best you're gonna get.

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/skidpad.5554/ - your're welcome :P

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2017, 05:36:26 PM »
Thank you

Offline RussG

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2017, 06:50:05 PM »
RussG
------------------
    Lap 1: 65 kph (+5 restrictor)
    Lap 1: 71 kph (+6 restrictor)
    Lap 1: 45 kph (+2 restrictor)
    Lap 1: 108 kph (+10 restrictor)
    Lap 1: 70 kph (+6 restrictor)
    Lap 1: 94 kph (+9 restrictor)
    Lap 12: 148 kph (+10 restrictor)

Hi Wally,
Please note there is no suggestion of blame on anyone here, just questioning the contact speed reports.

When I saw this I thought straight away the lap 12 contact was wrong which it is, so I had a look through the replay and these are the contacts as seen in the replay.

It looked to me like I had 7 contacts in the pileup but you have listed 6. A couple looked very light so maybe one didn't register. The rest of them:
    Lap 1 : Mael 58 kph hits me doing 36 kph - This seems like it should be a 22 kph contact.
    Lap 1 : Me 44 kph hits Dave O doing 22 kph - 22 kph contact
    Lap 1 : Me 48 kph hits Joe doing 23 kph - 25 kph contact
    Lap 1 : Me 41 kph hits Seanus doing 20 kph - 21 kph contact
    Lap 1 : Joe 41 kph hits me doing 37 kph - 4 kph contact
    Lap 1 : Mael 45 kph hits me doing 37 kph - 8 kph contact
    Lap 1 : Mael 41 kph hits me doing 25 kph - 16 kph contact
    Lap 12: Me 46 kph hits armco doing 0 kph - 46 kph contact

I think this would have given me 3% restrictor instead of the 48% I was given.

Now I know it's not always as simple as the difference in speeds. The angle of the cars etc can make a difference to the relative speed of the contact, but the numbers are really far removed from reality. e.g. Lap 1: 108 kph - even if you added the car speeds as in a head on collision it doesn't add up to that much.

I have no issues with the idea of restrictor for contacts but would you mind having a look at this as it seems to be more like random numbers when it records a contact.

Cheers
Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2017, 06:59:19 PM »
Bit of a hard one for me here, managed to get the car reasonably setup but not quite on the pace of grat. Race 1 i stayed behind phil all race, managing the meds early on which helped me towards the end of the race but it was too difficult to pass especially when the pace is equal lol. Race 2 was going ok but my progress was hampered by just being in the wrong place at the wrong time lol and then got spun on the final turn so i finished 17th i think. Race 3 much of the same but then got caught out on the curb of t1 trying to get simone and clipped him as the car slid so sorry about that simone, finished 12th i think so could have been worse considering i was put to the back of the pack after the incident.
do you even motorsports?

Offline Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2017, 07:15:43 PM »
I think contact penalty’s need to be severe. If you rear end someone mid corner even at 20km/h because you brakes too late you will likely spin them and with a short sprint format that will ruin their race

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2017, 08:14:02 PM »
RussG
------------------
    Lap 1: 65 kph (+5 restrictor)
    Lap 1: 71 kph (+6 restrictor)
    Lap 1: 45 kph (+2 restrictor)
    Lap 1: 108 kph (+10 restrictor)
    Lap 1: 70 kph (+6 restrictor)
    Lap 1: 94 kph (+9 restrictor)
    Lap 12: 148 kph (+10 restrictor)

Hi Wally,
Please note there is no suggestion of blame on anyone here, just questioning the contact speed reports.

When I saw this I thought straight away the lap 12 contact was wrong which it is, so I had a look through the replay and these are the contacts as seen in the replay.

It looked to me like I had 7 contacts in the pileup but you have listed 6. A couple looked very light so maybe one didn't register. The rest of them:
    Lap 1 : Mael 58 kph hits me doing 36 kph - This seems like it should be a 22 kph contact.
    Lap 1 : Me 44 kph hits Dave O doing 22 kph - 22 kph contact
    Lap 1 : Me 48 kph hits Joe doing 23 kph - 25 kph contact
    Lap 1 : Me 41 kph hits Seanus doing 20 kph - 21 kph contact
    Lap 1 : Joe 41 kph hits me doing 37 kph - 4 kph contact
    Lap 1 : Mael 45 kph hits me doing 37 kph - 8 kph contact
    Lap 1 : Mael 41 kph hits me doing 25 kph - 16 kph contact
    Lap 12: Me 46 kph hits armco doing 0 kph - 46 kph contact

I think this would have given me 3% restrictor instead of the 48% I was given.

Now I know it's not always as simple as the difference in speeds. The angle of the cars etc can make a difference to the relative speed of the contact, but the numbers are really far removed from reality. e.g. Lap 1: 108 kph - even if you added the car speeds as in a head on collision it doesn't add up to that much.

I have no issues with the idea of restrictor for contacts but would you mind having a look at this as it seems to be more like random numbers when it records a contact.

Cheers

I'll take a look at it. If the contact speed is consitently overstated by the server, I can half it for example. But then this is all arbitrary, right? I have arbitrarily said 100 kph = 10% restrictor. It could be 5%, or it could be 20%. The point is, the more contacts you have, the more restrictor you get.

When I came up with the figures, I actually looked at previous server logs, and looked at contacts and categorised them by speed. As reported by the server, most contacts were at the 30 to 40 kph mark, and then the speeds tailed off from there.

But I'll take a look at it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 08:16:32 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal