Xtreme Gaming Network

VR - exciting times ahead...

Author Topic: VR - exciting times ahead...  (Read 53647 times)

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: VR - exciting times ahead...
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2019, 04:40:38 PM »
It's great fun and very immersive, but for me the issues of image quality and the "sweet spot" especially the cheap lenovo without eye adjustment, is a thing. I don't use mine much and only with project cars 2 on my old pc, for me it's the only game that just works. Acc still doesn't work for me, when the game loads it's like everything is too low (in space) ac needs a second "profile" set up for apps and everything. It's mostly a pita, when I get chance to race I don't want to spend an hour fiddling with shit. Not to put a damper on things, it might be better for you. If I had room for triples it's what I would do...ultra wide will suffice.

Edit, I meant to post in Jamie's vr thread
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 05:06:53 PM by buellersdayoff »

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2019, 05:16:37 PM »
I have only I have only tried VR a few times, but find it annoying having to wear them, They need to become as light as a pair of sunglasses before I would consider them as a serious alternative to triples, the picture quality is not much. To me triples seem to represent a car windscreen better than VR, as they are about the same distance from my eyes as a real windscreen if all setup correctly,   its not like you wrap your car around your head,  But in saying all that they are a bit of a fun novelty.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2019, 07:51:41 PM »
I watched quite a few reviews on the Pimax and can't really remember that wear comfort was criticised. The trouble users now have seem to be pretty serious though.
The StarVR would be expensive anyway and on top of that you'd need the best graphics card available which means more $$ to be spent.
It seems triples are still a good investment...and monitors are getting cheaper and cheaper anyway.

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2019, 10:49:33 AM »
Lenovo Explorer with controllers $99  :o :o :o :o :o :o

Check with your local JBHIFI store should be instock.
hifi.com.au/unavailable/?q=lenovo explorer&404;http://www.jbhifi.com.au/lenovo/lenovo=
hifi.com.au/unavailable/?q=lenovo explorer&404;http://www.jbhifi.com.au/lenovo/lenovo=

« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:55:03 AM by rooshooter »
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2019, 04:30:43 PM »
Damn that's cheap.  I paid 99usd without controllers.

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2019, 07:38:14 PM »
Damn that's cheap.  I paid 99usd without controllers.
I bought another one just for the controllers ;D. I still think this headset properly setup is VERY good.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2019, 11:01:12 PM »
So what's the consensus: virtual reality vs triples?

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2019, 08:02:30 AM »

For me VR is fun for playing around with. I have one of the Lenovo mixed reality headsets which is actually very good; good tracking and higher res than a rift/vive. The immersion is awesome and it's fun, but the lack of clarity for me means league racing still happens on my triples.

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2019, 09:05:20 AM »
I also have the Lenovo, but I still prefer my 4K  55inch 200hz curved single  TV/monitor. I believe we are many years away from having powerful enough GPUs to run a VR setup with high enough res to compete with monitors. My 1080ti struggles with 3840x2160 on my singlescreen :'(, but as Joe says VR is something else. The 2080ti is not much of an improvement over the 1080ti, Morre's Law is well and truly dead :'(.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2019, 09:37:37 AM »
...My 1080ti struggles with 3840x2160 on my singlescreen ...

That's weird, my 1080 Ti (zotac, slightly oc'd) does not seem to struggle with my 4k screen at all.  Could it be some other factor?  Or maybe your definition of struggle is different? :)

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2019, 10:13:45 AM »

That's weird, my 1080 Ti (zotac, slightly oc'd) does not seem to struggle with my 4k screen at all.  Could it be some other factor?  Or maybe your definition of struggle is different? :)
I prefer a FPS of 80plus , I find sometimes on Thursdays I get down to 60FPS, I am running an 1st. gen i7, i7 860 oc'd to 3.9gig and I don't think my system is CPU bound, but I could be wrong. I also have a lot of the AC settings turned down, but with the "shaders patch" it still looks brilliant  :).

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2019, 11:23:08 AM »
Well, I'm running a i7-6700k which *can* run at 4.5, but I'm just letting it run on default (4GHz) but this does not matter in this case, IMO.

If you look at thursdays, you guys always run interesting mods.  Now, unoptimised mods (which is a lot of them, tbh) used to cause moderate to severe frame drops in the past.  I'm sure this hasn't changed.

So the measuring stick is a tad faulty, I reckon :)

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2019, 04:36:10 PM »

So the measuring stick is a tad faulty, I reckon :)

As usual Bird you are right ::).

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2019, 12:08:31 PM »

I prefer a FPS of 80plus , I find sometimes on Thursdays I get down to 60FPS, I am running an 1st. gen i7, i7 860 oc'd to 3.9gig and I don't think my system is CPU bound, but I could be wrong. I also have a lot of the AC settings turned down, but with the "shaders patch" it still looks brilliant  :).
If you run msi afterburner in the background then look at the graph for gpu usage you'll be able to tell if you're cpu limited, gpu usage should be as close to 100% as possible

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2019, 03:46:12 PM »

If you run msi afterburner in the background then look at the graph for gpu usage you'll be able to tell if you're cpu limited, gpu usage should be as close to 100% as possible
Thanks Bueller I will give it a go :).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal