Xtreme Gaming Network

The 2016 "What would you change?" thread

Author Topic: The 2016 "What would you change?" thread  (Read 7379 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
The 2016 "What would you change?" thread
« on: December 10, 2016, 12:01:42 PM »
Now that another year draws to a close (2 and a half years of AC racing already!), here's a chance to say what you'd like to see for Tuesday night racing next year. Is there anything you'd like to try, do differently or don't like currently? I don't mean what cars you'd like to drive - we already have a thread for that.

It's a conversation; ideas will all be listened to, some but not all may get implemented.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline UnFknBLievable

• View Profile
Re: The 2016 "What would you change?" thread
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 10:27:30 PM »
I would love to see a season for hill climb tracks. Whether they're time-trials or actual racing, it would definitely be action packed. The fact that most, if not all of us won't remember every corner gives us all a good challenge of pushing the car and being conservative throughout the track.

I know some tracks like Akagi Mountain Pass, Ebnit, Lake louise (very long circuit), Transfagarasan Downhill and Trento-Bondone are good Point to Point tracks.

Format A - We can do time-trials, best of 3 runs is your time for the round.
Format B - Setup a Qualifying stage and then a race.

I know there will be crashes, I know there will be misjudged corners and most likely will send your car back to pits to try again but it will be hell fun for a grid of 15 cars going through Transfagarasan :D:D:D:D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 10:34:28 PM »
I would love to see a season for hill climb tracks. Whether they're time-trials or actual racing, it would definitely be action packed. The fact that most, if not all of us won't remember every corner gives us all a good challenge of pushing the car and being conservative throughout the track.

I know some tracks like Akagi Mountain Pass, Ebnit, Lake louise (very long circuit), Transfagarasan Downhill and Trento-Bondone are good Point to Point tracks.

I know there will be crashes, I know there will be misjudged corners and most likely will send your car back to pits to try again but it will be hell fun for a grid of 15 cars going through Transfagarasan :D:D:D:D

I think a basic race up a hill climb would be fun, not sure about a tuesday season in these maybe some fun runs but if there is enough interest in such a thing then why not. The other thing is that many of the point to point tracks in AC are not very well made and this includes the only official one.

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 01:27:14 AM »

As much as a race could be held on 1-2 of these looped hillclimb tracks there's 2 main problems. 1 I doubt they have enough pit boxes and 2 there's far too many invisible walls where you fall to your death through the track and into oblivion.   And trying to find those invisible walls on such a massive track is by fluke..
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 01:40:52 AM »
I'd like for the  practise servers set up for the following race to include practise session of 1 hour to allow members who want to work on their setups and test cars etc enough time to test things.  Servers have voting so it can always be voted to move to next session if everyone wants it.

I'd also like to see a season with all tracks we may or may not have raced before or for a while rather than official/unofficial/favourite tracks.

I know in Assetto I haven't raced at Laguna Seca, Oschersleben, Interlagos, Hockenheim. Watkins Glen.. and many more, providing they are available and have enough pit boxes and are decently made or converted tracks.
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 09:13:42 AM »
I'd like for the  practise servers set up for the following race to include practise session of 1 hour to allow members who want to work on their setups and test cars etc enough time to test things.  Servers have voting so it can always be voted to move to next session if everyone wants it.

This is the way Tuesday servers are set during a season, I havent included a practice session in the fun runs but if people really miss these its easy to add.

Id also like to see a season with all tracks we may or may not have raced before or for a while rather than official/unofficial/favourite tracks.

I know in Assetto I haven't raced at Laguna Seca, Oschersleben, Interlagos, Hockenheim. Watkins Glen.. and many more, providing they are available and have enough pit boxes and are decently made or converted tracks.

Varied tracks are good but I would rather stick to high quality tracks on Tuesdays. The main reason I dont race Thursdays other then not being home many of them is that I dont want to race junk content. Sorry to say some of the stuff in there I class as that and so would rather do something else, if tuesday seasons started running more junk mods then id give them a miss too.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 10:26:51 AM »
Re the tracks - we've discussed this before and the general consensus seems to be to stick to very high quality tracks, which are of course all of the AC tracks and a small handful of top quality mods, such as Paul Ricard, Donington etc. Conversions from older games usually look like rubbish, so scratch made tracks are preferred. You never know when a mod track is going to have some weirdness, such as holes, rough track mesh or timing bugs.

I agree with Marty that hill climb tracks would be good for one off fun runs, but I'd like to stick to circuit racing for regular seasons.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 09:25:30 PM »
Re the tracks - we've discussed this before and the general consensus seems to be to stick to very high quality tracks, which are of course all of the AC tracks and a small handful of top quality mods, such as Paul Ricard, Donington etc. Conversions from older games usually look like rubbish, so scratch made tracks are preferred. You never know when a mod track is going to have some weirdness, such as holes, rough track mesh or timing bugs.

I agree with Marty that hill climb tracks would be good for one off fun runs, but I'd like to stick to circuit racing for regular seasons.
Cold easily stick Riverside in there. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 07:48:39 AM »

Cold easily stick Riverside in there. ;)
Yes, that wasn't an exhaustive list by any means :)

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 02:57:57 PM »
Maybe there could be a thread with a list of tracks that are considered for the various series and people can nominate tracks that they think are of good enough quality to be considered and then if there's a general consensus they can be added to the list over time.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 04:57:03 PM »
Maybe there could be a thread with a list of tracks that are considered for the various series and people can nominate tracks that they think are of good enough quality to be considered and then if there's a general consensus they can be added to the list over time.
Good idea.

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 06:10:26 PM »
Could we have a separate thread "Tracks for Evaluation" with all testers giving a 1 to 10 after evaluation ?
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 08:10:17 PM »
Could we have a separate thread "Tracks for Evaluation" with all testers giving a 1 to 10 after evaluation ?
I created a sub-forum for Tuesday night mod tracks.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 09:19:14 PM »
I created a sub-forum for Tuesday night mod tracks.
And your list looks good to me. ;) 8)
(I didn't want to clog up the new forum  ;D )

2+2=√16

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal