Xtreme Gaming Network

XGN server will be shut down

Author Topic: XGN server will be shut down  (Read 101 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
XGN server will be shut down
« on: May 06, 2024, 02:24:51 PM »
Hey guys,
I'm currently hosting XGN - for a few years now - but sadly it needs to move from my company account. 
The reason is: our security stance needs to be improved.

I've tried to contact a few of you looking for someone that would like to continue hosting it or organise hosting for it.
No takers.

In light of this as a last effort I'm asking here publicly if any member would like to pick this up?   If yes, send me a PM.

If I get no response, sadly I'll be forced to shut the server down as I've no time organising a new hosting.

If anyone wants to pick the slack up, I can package the code & DB up for you.

The domain name is another matter, though, I think it's in Brit's hands at the moment, that's the last I've known of it.

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: XGN server will be shut down
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 03:38:38 PM »
Hey guys,
I'm currently hosting XGN - for a few years now - but sadly it needs to move from my company account. 

I've tried to contact a few of you looking for someone that would like to continue hosting it or organise hosting for it.
No takers.

In light of this as a last effort I'm asking here publicly if any member would like to pick this up?   If yes, send me a PM.

If I get no response, sadly I'll be forced to shut the server down as I've no time organising a new hosting.

The domain name is another matter, though, I think it's in Brit's hands at the moment, that's the last I've known of it.

It has been most generous of you Bird to have hosted XGN for many,many years, I thank you on behalf of all XGN members.
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 04:06:55 PM by rooshooter »
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 05:22:50 PM »
Will we have an archive of the site after it's gone done?
I always knew the Sun shone out of my arse. Sean's bum is an anagram of Sunbeams.

Offline Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 05:23:24 PM »
And a redirect for a short time?
I always knew the Sun shone out of my arse. Sean's bum is an anagram of Sunbeams.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2024, 10:30:59 PM »
Hey guys,

No takers.

It has been most generous of you Bird to have hosted XGN for many,many years, I thank you on behalf of all XGN members.
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Yep, absolutely agree. I say a big thank you too, and for the work you've done in things like SMF upgrades and so on. Also to Brit for the domain name registration for so long.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal