Xtreme Gaming Network

S14R4: Silverstone GP Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S14R4: Silverstone GP Post-Race Chat  (Read 16010 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S14R4: Silverstone GP Post-Race Chat
« on: November 01, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »
RACE RESULTS AND CHARTS
SEASON STANDINGS

SEASON STATS
ALL TIME STATS

Penalties
RussG ran into the back of Gratulin, but only RussG was disadvantaged, so no penalty (my replay only went back to just after the start of the first fast lap, so apologies if there was anything prior to that).

Round Points
Guybrush Threepwood   79
Marty   70
Grat   62
Wally   54
Phil.8   48
Mael   42
Freezer   36
hylas   30
Bacchulum   26
Joe   22
Simone   18
nith   14
M8R   11
Bafs17   9
RussG   7
Keith   5
Rob   4
Seanus   3
Doobs   2
stevenngo   1
Matthew111   0
Jeremy   0
AJ   0
Vipergod   0

Congratulations to Guybrush on pole position and the race and round wins.

Well done to Mael who moved up 3 points in the season standings, from 11th to 8th.

Season Podium
1. Guybrush, 234 points
2. Grat, 208
3. Marty, 199 (up from 4th)

Team Standings
Achilles Heels (Guybrush and Marty) lead DA Racing (Grat and Wally), 433 points to 336. Krahl Racing have moved up into 3rd, with Struggle Street Racing Crew slipping down the rankings.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 10:39:52 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: S14R4: Silverstone GP Post-Race Chat
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 10:21:07 PM »
Really enjoyed that, close racing pretty much the entire race.

I had no idea on strategy so at the end of practice brought out the calculator and decided to go full tank, then stop lap 15 for tyres, then on 23 for a small amount of fuel. The full tank made me pretty vulnerable and I lost places in the first few laps.

At lap 10 I braked to hard into brooklands went sideways; Simone couldn't avoid me and sent me spinning, sorry dude. Had to wait for a couple of cars before rejoined but I had a decent amount of damage and lost 4 or 5 places.

Had a good battle with Keith around lap 19 where we went side by side for 6 corners with me eventually getting by. A couple of laps later Freezer did the exact same thing to me.

Did my second stop at lap 23 (using F10 to change preset on PitConfig is nice), and came out just in front of Simone much to his dismay. He was right on my tail then not sure what happened coming out of maggots but he lost ground and went behind M8R.

After that I did some okay times, but my best was a 15.7 with my qually lap a 14.6 so the damage as definitely hurting.

Qualified 7th and finished 11th I think, so strategy probably wasn't great, and damage didn't help.

On the plus side the baby slept the whole race and I woke him up laughing to Simone at the end  :D

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 10:40:16 PM »
That was both one of the most consistent and loneliest races I've ever had. I barely put a tyre wrong the whole race but was just simply a lot slower than just about everybody.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 10:50:33 PM »
I got a pretty good start, able to pass Mael on the opening lap by an inside pass despite starting with a full tank. From there I lead Mael to my pit stop for tyres at the end of lap 9. Mael pitted with me, trying to avoid the undercut, but only refuelled, so passed me in the pits. After I rejoined, I was side by side with Doobs for a good half a lap, finally managing a criss cross move at Copse and getting him at Maggots. Then Rob very gentlemanly let me passed after chasing him for a couple of laps, with hylas in pursuit until he pitted.

Grat caught me on lap 21, where I let my faster team mate past, and followed him home with Phil chasing for a 3 & 4 finish for DA Racing which was very satisfying. I pitted for fuel at the end of lap 24, noting that I had a 24 second gap back to Phil at that stage, and it looked like I was going to come out in front of him, which I did with about 5 seconds to spare. It was a good race - the pit strategy went to plan, I wasn't really held up by traffic too much at any stage, and I made no mistakes.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 10:55:22 PM »
Poor Phil. He was held by me being much heavier for 10 laps and that ended up costing him not just the fight for 3rd but also that for 4th. DA's pit-wall guys were really amazing this time.

FERNANDO IS FASTER THAN YOU..., FELIPE.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 11:13:16 PM »
Great fun, really enjoyed the role strategy played in this one. I was targeting Wally but he outfoxed me by going for a long stint on one set of tires.

Qualified well but soon allowed Wally through after a mistake, made a couple more with the car being heavy on fuel and not turning in as it was supposed to. Did my second stop early hoping to undercut Joe, Keith and a couple of other but somehow managed to get stuck behind the Krahl team. managed to squeak by Joe but Phil proved just too quick.

Good race for the Maki team, 6th and 7th. Great driving Freezer.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 11:46:14 PM »
Major return to form this week for me.  The season has been a one of my worst thus far.
Qualified 5th which was a season best by a long shot.
Got a good jump and held position.  I was able to keep on the back of the front guys but my plan was to pit early which I did on lap 4 for a small top up back to full tanks which would see me to the end. 
After this stop I chased Keith for many laps.  I had a very small speed advantage so it took quite a while to find a gap and even longer to extend it once past.  As Joe mentioned, we had a great side by side battle (race highlight). 
Pitted again on lap 15 for tyres but a lap of so after coming out I spun and dropped 3 spots.  From there I was chased home by Hylas managing to grab 7th.
The cars have definately improved in my view.  The front tyre locking seems much better along with the overall grip allowing it to be thrown into corners a bit harder which suited me . . . :)
Maki Engineering 6th and 7th . . . season best!

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 12:06:50 AM »
I made an error on my last qualy lap which likely cost me one spot on the grid as Grat put in a good lap. Strategy wise I wasnt sure what id do but had Grat held me up I probably would have pitted early for fuel or tyres. Luckily for me he made a small error early which let me get past fairly easily. I then was surprised I was able to extend a lead by nearly 1 second per lap to him. This was much the same as what I was losing to Guybrush. I tried to push as hard as I could but he's so much quicker then everyone else its not much of a battle.

I went to lap 15 with about a 13 second lead over Grat and did my tyre stop, I was kind of amazed to have lost about 8 seconds on the stop but this is because he started heavier and so needed much less fuel. Luckily for me that only closed the gap and didnt let him gain a spot, I went for tyres on the next lap as really only 1 stop was needed this race and the tyres had some flat spots, were worn and cold after the fuel stop so keeping them on was only going to cost time each lap.

With the new tyres it was back to normal and I was able to push on a bit, I managed too eek out a bit of a gap on Grat again over these laps until I had a brain fart and spun it at the exit of chapel. I thought grat would have had me for sure as the car completely stopped before I regained control, tyres a bit flatspotted again and Grat back to about 4 seconds. I pushed on again extending the gap by a few tenths per lap to the finish.

Over all a bit of a boring race no hope of catching Guybrush, Grat put up a good fight to keep me honest at least and I wasnt far away from handing him second place. I do like longer races but it would be nice to battle other cars rather then just battle the timing screen.

Looks like a close battle for the minor places for the season, will be nice to have a bit more actual racing in coming races though.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 12:34:32 AM »
Had an uneasy quali session. A bit because I struggled to get rear grip---something that never happened on the slightly warmer practice server. A bit because of traffic at the end of a good lap. But then I managed at least one clean lap and got ahead of Marty and Phil, which was more than I hoped for.

My strategy was for an almost full tank, pit around lap 15 for 28l of fuel and tyres soon after. I knew I would have been very slow through the first 5 or 6 laps, but from then on I would have been on a similar pace (turned out tyres did not like the cold+heavy, so I actually lost a bit from lap 13 onward) but with 6 to 8 seconds less of stop than lighter strategies.

Started well and had a half-look at GB, but then chose to cover the inside line through T3-4 from Marty. By Copse it was already clear that Marty was much lighter and faster through the straights. So when I messed the line through Copse a bit I decided it was not worth fighting and chose to focus on Phil (if then Marty was not as fast as he looked, my strategy would have been enough to put up a good fight later in the race).

Phil was faster, but I focused on a good exit from Club, Loop, and Luffield and I had a bit of an advantage through the Beckets-Chapel complex. As a result, he was getting close on the places where it is hard to pass, and far where it would have been a good chance. I really admired his mental control: in those conditions, I would have been so frustrated and would have spun for sure.

As he was probably quite lighter, when he pitted I went straight for my strategy trying not to make any big mistake and keep it consistent, as I had probably a 6 seconds advantage to manage. From the leaderboard I could also see he was in traffic, so that made me optimistic. But of course I did not expect to exit my second pit with a 20 seconds advantage (later explained by his problem with pitconfig).

From then on it was quite uneventful and Marty seemed anyway too far, so I was not pushing much, other than after the position swap with Wally as I did not want to be a problem for his focus as he now looked in contention with Phil for 4th. Then Marty made a mistake and I saw him appearing some 3.5 seconds ahead. I tried to push, but I was consistently 3-4 tenths slower, so I gave up for the last 2 laps and enjoyed following my teammate's race on the leaderboard first, and live from his cockpit once I crossed the line.

Great result for DA Racing!!!

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 09:05:46 AM »
Quite an eventful race. I was able to set a Q that put me just ahead of those that I felt I would be racing against (mainly Wally, I always aim to try and beat my rival). I thought that if I could put in some consistent laps at the start, that hopefully the pack of close drivers just behind me would battle each other and slow each other down a bit. Then I might just have a chance to get a good placing by the end of the race.

Turns out (Lap 2 I think) I was the one to make the early mistake. Going through a corner, my backend just stepped out with the heavy load and I couldn't catch it. I watched all the drivers I felt I should of been competing against just drive right by me. I slotted back into the tail end of the field and kept going. I knew this was going to cost me time if I was to fight for each position so I went in for fuel at Lap 5 and filled the car again. This was a quick stop as the car was full at the start of the race. I felt this should of given me from fresh air and to not worry about current standings as it'll shuffle around a bit later on. I had a few enjoyable overtake moments with some back markers during this stint but mostly it was quiet. This was until I seen my rival come out of the pits a couple seconds up the road and I pushed to try battle Wally in this stint. I wasn't really catching him at this point tho, my tires felt terrible and he doing good time. I went it to pit for tires at Lap 15 and thought to myself "I'll be back for you Wally" but I never seen him again.

On the new set of tires, oh my didn't it feel refreshing. Probably had something to do with having a spin early on with the first set. But this new set felt amazing. I watched Freezer battle a few guys a couple seconds ahead of me, knowing that I would probably have to do the same soon after him if I was to keep him in sight. I watched him have quite a long battle with Joe and thought that I would probably have to have a similar battle with Joe which in turn, would probably give Freezer a decent gap. This wasn't to be, Joe pitted shortly after being overtaken by Freezer. I turned my attention to Freezer and pushed to try make a battle out of this, or to get him to make a mistake. I had a couple of close calls trying to push too hard but for the most part we were both doing similar laps and the gap sat around 1 second until the end. It was a good race Freezer, really enjoyed that stint :D

I came to this race feeling that I needed to start getting some points over Wally, his been ahead of me from the start with this car and I haven't really battled him on track all season. I've be near him on track a few times but I feel I'm getting outclassed by my longterm rival this season. Lets see what you can bring to Paul Ricard :P

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 10:36:54 AM »
Good to know I'm on your sights Hylas. It adds some spice to the races :)

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 11:27:57 AM »
From Silverstone to Paul Ricard. One track with horrible long diminishing angle corners to another  ;D

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 10:24:13 AM »
Had a good battle with Keith around lap 19 where we went side by side for 6 corners with me eventually getting by. A couple of laps later Freezer did the exact same thing to me.

This was that little battle. First video I've done and I don't like this angle as it looks like an arcade game, but was the best angle to show the side by side stuff.

[youtube]O4MggyA7A88[/youtube]

Offline RussG

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 04:12:11 PM »
I enjoyed the race. I think Bafs17 must have thought he wasn't allowed to pass anyone before the start line as he braked in the middle of the straight at the start. Surprised the cr@p out of me as I jammed on the brakes and watched 3 cars stream by.
At turn 4 there was a concertina effect and I bumped the back of gratulin (sorry mate), unfortunately turning me left and over the sausage kerb to the infield. Rejoined in last.
From then on I had what I would call a steady and often lonely drive but a nice little battle with Seanus thrown in to spice it up. I was pretty happy to finish in 15th :)

It's great to race with you guys as everyone shows respect and races nice and clean.
Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 04:16:41 PM »
I think Bafs17 must have thought he wasn't allowed to pass anyone before the start line as he braked in the middle of the straight at the start.

Yeah that is right, you can't pass before the line.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal