Xtreme Gaming Network

New idea for videos.. feedback please

Author Topic: New idea for videos.. feedback please  (Read 8863 times)

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
New idea for videos.. feedback please
« on: December 13, 2016, 01:20:15 AM »
I've been toying with some ideas to try and bring down the time it takes to show members qualifying positions before a race for the videos.

So far I've come up with a neat way to display your car and qualifying times as shown in the mock up image below. But I estimate you would need at least 5 seconds to view the qualifying info each frame (minus 0.6 of a second for fade out/in to the next frame)  so times that by say 32 cars and you have used up 2.6 minutes to view the info. 3 seconds viewing time you're looking at 1.6 minutes.. but I don't think 3 seconds is enough time to read 2 members qualifying times, remembering that you lose 0.6 of a second between frames. So unless you're only skimming it briefly, it's going to take up to 2 minutes or longer depending on cars :(

I could display the qualifying information over the course of the first lap which is tv camera views only. I only start cockpit views on the second lap. But that doesn't seem right.   And personally I don't want to read qualifying times when I'm viewing the opening lap.

I do like the way this looks graphically, although it takes up more of the screen that the previous bar, I could shrink the height of it a little more, but not too much or the cars tend to get too small when resized. Doing it with the black background means I don't have to do any fancy editing to each car for each race, just resize the car image and place it in the video timeline. Placing the car image on the original bar looks shit tbh and too small.

Open to thoughts and ideas please.
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
Re: New idea for videos.. feedback please
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 09:46:44 AM »
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 10:41:03 AM »
I think simply showing a full grid graphic as Phil posted scrolling through maybe taking max 30 seconds is enough. If you get a full field people will just skip the grid as info isnt all that important actually and if having a full list anyone intersted can just pause the video if they want to see times that went too quick. Most probably just want to see the racing so getting to this sooner is better IMHO.

If your looking to waste 2 minutes of video time show the grid for a few seconds then grid girls dancing for the rest. I do think an overview of grid and basic list of times gets the message and doesnt take so long.

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 04:28:21 PM »
https://grandprix20.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/bahrain_grid_graphic.jpg

https://chivethethrottle.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/random-t-11_21_14-920-7.jpg?w=920&h=562

you will be supplying these for future races to make the grid more authentic I presume

PHil the graphic is similar to the way I used to do my GTR2 videos. And I miss the girls at the track, they used to come into my stand and sit on my lap for photos at the F1GP when it was in Adelaide.

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 04:32:24 PM »
I think simply showing a full grid graphic as Phil posted scrolling through maybe taking max 30 seconds is enough. If you get a full field people will just skip the grid as info isnt all that important actually and if having a full list anyone intersted can just pause the video if they want to see times that went too quick. Most probably just want to see the racing so getting to this sooner is better IMHO.

If your looking to waste 2 minutes of video time show the grid for a few seconds then grid girls dancing for the rest. I do think an overview of grid and basic list of times gets the message and doesn't take so long.

Yeah as much as a grid walk looks nice it is too time consuming. I'd rather use that time for more coverage of the race.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 11:38:55 AM »
of course, Porsche = bjsracer!  ;D
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 05:31:59 PM »

I did ask bjsracer to join us in assetto considering it was $22 US, but the lazy prick didn't reply on facebook.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 06:12:18 PM »

I did ask bjsracer to join us in assetto considering it was $22 US, but the lazy prick didn't reply on facebook.
He did race here in 1 or 2 of the very early seasons.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal